Death Company

TheHyperion

Greetings from the rock!

I am fairly out of place here but have come to interrogate you to make you repent....I MEAN ask a few questions about death company. My dad's birthday will be coming up in a few months and I wanted to paint some death company to encourage him to start his blood angels force back up from second edition. What is the ideal loadout for a squad of 5 death company? I also plan to paint them in the Angels Encarmine color scheme to seperate them from any death company he has or will have, so if anyone has any tips on painting white thatd be awesome!

Thanks from your fellow Angel of Death!

~Sapphon

A Power Fist/Thunder Hammer and possibly a power weapon should be enough. Bolt guns on the fist/hammer. Magnetizing is a very good idea especially on the jump packs. Maybe try to make a few more than 5. If you have some extra legs and bases, there should be enough bits in the box to make one or two more DC.

I painted my Angel's Encarmine Death Company by painting them bleached bone, drybrushing them white and putting Devlan mud into some of the details. Drybrushing white is not something I'd really recommend, I'm sure a more experianced painter has better advice than my experiments.

They're supposed to be Alabaster, so painting them how you would White Scars isn't right. It should have a cream tinge to it, there's a reason why its a cliche description for really pale skin.

My Angel's Encarmine guys are in this thread

For the Sanguinary Guard I did bleached bone, devlan mud all over and then lahmian medium + palid wych flesh on top because I wanted them looking more antique.

Thanks everyone! Im only painting five cause I have about the same amount of time as is given for E Tenebrae Lux (thats when his birthday is) and thats why I am only doing five lol cause I havent finished to many models in a timely manner.

Can't go far wrong with a Power fist and Jump packs, though magnets are a good idea to.

As for painting, check out GW's FREE painting Space marines guide for Apple of you have a device, as it has great guides on loads of different colours, including at least three different whites!

Can't go far wrong with a Power fist and Jump packs, though magnets are a good idea to.

As for painting, check out GW's FREE painting Space marines guide for Apple of you have a device, as it has great guides on loads of different colours, including at least three different whites!

Totally just went looking for this but alas could not find it on my phone.... Also looked it up and it costs $4 on ipad.... what a shame. I'll see if I can find something, not many people paint white really(weird).

ph34r.png I'm sure Google will turn up something...ph34r.png

Sadly my search came up fairly dry. Since white is the brightest a color can get it seems like it will be hard to highlight and shade. I may try using a gray, shading it and then highlighting it in what not in white. If not maybe I can think of something else.

Totally just went looking for this but alas could not find it on my phone.... Also looked it up and it costs $4 on ipad.... what a shame. I'll see if I can find something, not many people paint white really(weird).

Odd, maybe it was free when I got it a year ago...

Anyway, some ways to paint white:

1) Celestra Grey > Agrax Earthshade > Ulthuan Grey - a warmer white, look at GW's White Scars for an example

2) Ulthuan Grey > Dragenhof Nightshade > White Scar - more bluey, potentially 'cleaner'

1) http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/12/713330_sm-White%20colour%20test.jpg

2) http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/12/713329_sm-White%20colour%20test.jpg

Is this the sort of white you are after??

Odd, maybe it was free when I got it a year ago...

Anyway, some ways to paint white:

1) Celestra Grey > Agrax Earthshade > Ulthuan Grey - a warmer white, look at GW's White Scars for an example

2) Ulthuan Grey > Dragenhof Nightshade > White Scar - more bluey, potentially 'cleaner'

1) http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/12/713330_sm-White%20colour%20test.jpg

2) http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/5/12/713329_sm-White%20colour%20test.jpg

Is this the sort of white you are after??

I dont know how to post pictures like that (sorry new to the forum fairly) but like this kind of white: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/File:AE_Death_Company.jpg

Not to sure what that entails painting-wise sadly, not many people have painted death company like this from what I have seen.

I see (cool pic btw biggrin.png ). You could try replacing the washes in the given examples with Nuln Oil? I'm not much of a painter, though testing out different schemes can be invaluable (for me anyway... msn-wink.gif )

Ya I was thinking maybe replacing the aggrax earthshade in the first one with nuln oil. those are the same colors I used to paint the wings for my Dark Angels!. Thanks for the help.

For alabaster like real alabaster color, I'd start with a white or gray primer, then paint bleach bone, wash the recesses with sepia, then paint up with a mix of bleach bone and something like Vallejo Model Color Ivory, then Ivory, then do a small final highlight of white.

Doesn't necessarily match with the picture, where the recesses are more toward the gray, but real alabaster is often sandy or sepia in the recess or when light hits it.

For alabaster like real alabaster color, I'd start with a white or gray primer, then paint bleach bone, wash the recesses with sepia, then paint up with a mix of bleach bone and something like Vallejo Model Color Ivory, then Ivory, then do a small final highlight of white.

Doesn't necessarily match with the picture, where the recesses are more toward the gray, but real alabaster is often sandy or sepia in the recess or when light hits it.

Thanks for the help! I need to prime in white but I may not do alabaster like you said. I am not the greatest at painting and would be worried about consistentcy of shade when mixing the colors, but thanks for the help!

Cool, no worries! Just be sure to post pictures of the models! XD

Maybe.... I probably wont be doing the models I am painting on justice though, I have about the painting skills of a five year old.

Well, the only way to improve is to keep painting, then ask the advice of the six year olds! (Seriously though, there are some great painters on here that will definitely be able to help, and in a friendly manner too :D )

I'm a traditional sort of fellow. I loaded down my Death Company Squad with Jet Packs, a Thunder Hammer, and 6 inferno pistols, 4 plasma pistols, and a hand flamer. These are my main force though, zipping around protecting the troops from tanks and MC. I plan on using them like the flavor text says, in hopeless situations where you'd never send your sane troops. That's just me though. I chose all black with red and white accents, because I'm going for BA traditional colors. The white is pretty cool though. I'd post pics, but I'd just embarrass myself. I'm not a good infantry painter. I usually just spray then layer, then gloss then base and done. Nothing fancy or particularly nice looking, but they'll still kick ass in battle. 

I'm a traditional sort of fellow. I loaded down my Death Company Squad with Jet Packs, a Thunder Hammer, and 6 inferno pistols, 4 plasma pistols, and a hand flamer. These are my main force though, zipping around protecting the troops from tanks and MC. I plan on using them like the flavor text says, in hopeless situations where you'd never send your sane troops. That's just me though. I chose all black with red and white accents, because I'm going for BA traditional colors. The white is pretty cool though. I'd post pics, but I'd just embarrass myself. I'm not a good infantry painter. I usually just spray then layer, then gloss then base and done. Nothing fancy or particularly nice looking, but they'll still kick ass in battle. 

I'm sure they look nice but HOLY MOLEY that has to be a crippling point cost that draws tons of fire?

Wow thanks! That gave me some ideas.... I cant believe i couldnt find that. I will try to do painting pictures when and if I am able to start this project, so I can be critqued to be better in the future.

I'm sure they look nice but HOLY MOLEY that has to be a crippling point cost that draws tons of fire?

I delebrately chose these guys to be my big guns. Jump Packs to get in close and Astorath to add more hell to the chaos of close combat. No Ork Boyz squad will stop me without some serious bad luck on my part. I have them and the Dreads to protect the troops while they score points. Then I have three Baals as support in case something serious comes out of the woodwork that the Death Company can't deal with. There is a method to my madness. I am using the same tactics I used for my Grey Knights army. I just hope it pays off. 

Archived