Kataphron Breachers/Destroyers

This is why I think the Dominus is such a good investment, honestly.  With 3 Wounds and the ability to heal them stacked with a 2+/5++ AND 5+ FnP, he's an incredibly effective tank for his meager cost, especially for expensive 4+ model units of Kataphrons.  Even better, he bolsters their Ld to 9 (10 with an Infoslave Skull) and counts as an extra unit for Canticles (more important than you'd think).  Finally, don't underestimate his Warlord Trait; the final one granting max unit count for Canticles for his unit is HUGE in late game!

This is why I think the Dominus is such a good investment, honestly.  With 3 Wounds and the ability to heal them stacked with a 2+/5++ AND 5+ FnP, he's an incredibly effective tank for his meager cost, especially for expensive 4+ model units of Kataphrons.  Even better, he bolsters their Ld to 9 (10 with an Infoslave Skull) and counts as an extra unit for Canticles (more important than you'd think).  Finally, don't underestimate his Warlord Trait; the final one granting max unit count for Canticles for his unit is HUGE in late game!

does he count as a unit in a unit?

Hmm, that's a good question. The Kastelan Cohort says the Tech-Priest Dominus and both Kastelan units are each counted as a separate unit for the purpose of Canticles, but I'm not sure if the same applies for ICs when joined to a unit. Man, it seems like every new codex is just screaming for a FAQ these days! dry.png

Hmm, that's a good question. The Kastelan Cohort says the Tech-Priest Dominus and both Kastelan units are each counted as a separate unit for the purpose of Canticles, but I'm not sure if the same applies for ICs when joined to a unit. Man, it seems like every new codex is just screaming for a FAQ these days! dry.png

A unit is those that are purchased out of the codex. The Dominus would always count as another unit for the canticles... the reason that formation states it is because it could be unclear with the way it states that is is one unit and the Dominus can't leave that squad.

Well it doesn't say each one counts as a unit. It just says the formation counts as 3 units for victory points and canticles. So, if you took the option for the 3 last maniple it's still only count as 3 units. This is also important for co version field as they all count as being a unit for all rules purpose, but have an effective unit 'strength' as 3 for canticles and vps

The way I see it, if the Dominus counts as a unit for First Blood, then he counts as a unit for Canticles.

Thats a good way of looking at it. 

As for Breachers, what do you think of mixing wargear (Torsion Cannons/Heavy Arc Rifles) in Breacher squads?

Well, it's not a bad idea.  It'll make them more flexible vs. a variety of targets, but having less shots from Torsion Cannons does make them even less dependable.  You'll still want to get the Breachers the max Canticle buff for ranged attacks if you can.

After a few games with destroyers utilizing both weapon types, its no wonder why they're called destroyers. Holy crap are they destructive! I just wish there was a way to give preferred enemy to plasma destroyers to mitigate "gets hot".

It's funny that "pro" players have such hate for Hammernators (and Termies in general).  They can be crazy rugged with a little bit of help, even in this age of Grav-spam.

That said, it is pretty bad luck that they took that much punishment.  I think the only use for Plasma Kulverin Destroyers is in the War Convocation.  Otherwise, they'll take too many wounds from their own guns and just make the opponent's job even easier.  IWND doesn't help since you won't get a chance to heal until the turn after they shoot, though you can use an attached Dominus to heal a wound here or there (meaning you COULD blend a Plasma or two into a large Destroyer squad).  The lesser range (24" to the 30" on the HGC) is still a problem, though.

What I like about the plasma culverins is that they are multiple high strength blasts. Its great when fighting things with crappy/no armor since grav cant do much against them. I was able to wipe out whole squads of bloodletters as soon as they were summoned thanks to them. What I like best is that destroyers with plasma culverins are a basic troop in that codex :D

What I like about the plasma culverins is that they are multiple high strength blasts. Its great when fighting things with crappy/no armor since grav cant do much against them. I was able to wipe out whole squads of bloodletters as soon as they were summoned thanks to them. What I like best is that destroyers with plasma culverins are a basic troop in that codex biggrin.png

Thing is though... If you put the cognis flamers on these boys(free for me, since I run the War Convocation) those deal mighty easily with poor save units, which also tend to have poor toughness.

What I like about the plasma culverins is that they are multiple high strength blasts. Its great when fighting things with crappy/no armor since grav cant do much against them. I was able to wipe out whole squads of bloodletters as soon as they were summoned thanks to them. What I like best is that destroyers with plasma culverins are a basic troop in that codex biggrin.png

Thing is though... If you put the cognis flamers on these boys(free for me, since I run the War Convocation) those deal mighty easily with poor save units, which also tend to have poor toughness.

Yup, I give the plasma destroyers the flamers for close encounters.

Yup, I give the plasma destroyers the flamers for close encounters.

Far less likely for a flamer to scatter back ;)

Archived