Question on Shroud and Vehicles and Crimson Slaughter and...

Prot

Possessed. (ran out of room in the title!)

So in playing my Crimson Slaughter an interesting thing came up...

Sometimes I put my CS Possessed into a Landraider. When they roll up on the table and get Shroud, it is conferred to the vehicle. So if I blow smoke, the LR gets a turn of living the good life with a 3+ cover.

Now the other day I rolled on my CS warlord table and got "Your Warlord has Shroud". We know from characters that have shroud that they confer it to the squad they are joined to, right? So does this work with the vehicle they are embarked in  as well?

This is a BONUS QUESTION!

I just thought of this because this also happened....

I rolled on the CS Warlord trait table, and I think I got the one called.... Spectral Assailants. So the crazy/ridiculous side note to this is my Kranon was actually annihilating people with this thing.... Yea it was Dark Eldar, but still!

The funny thing is I had re-rolled hoping for my normal Shroud, but I got stuck with Spectral Assailants for the first time... I was bumbed at this until I got into close combat. 

Anyway, yes, there is a question here.... Spectral takes place in close combat at Initiatve step 10. Every model in base contact gets hit a few times... etc, etc. Now would you say these 'attacks' count towards combat resolution?

I said yes, but didn't count it that game... to be fair I didn't want to overwhelm my opponent.

BUT as a side note what really sucks about Spectral Assailants is it actually diminishes the Sword's ability to ramp up kills for bonuses since it is killing people in base to base before you swing. Kinda weird really.

Shrouded is not conferred from unit to transport unless specifically stated, like in the Spirit Beacons effect.

Determine Assault Results says to total up unsaved wounds inflicted by each side but does not require them to be caused by specifically close combat attacks.  Later on it even says self-inflicted wounds count against a side.  The Spectral Assailants unsaved wounds were caused by a special rule on a model on your side of the assault, so I think it is safe to say they count.

If Spectral Assailants is killing so many models then you probably don't really need the Blade of the Relentless buffs that much.  But you could try to keep your lord out of base contact during the assault to limit it's effects.

Thanks for the answers... I agree since HoW counts as well.

But as for the solutions? You gotta remember the Warlord traits are random, and chosen after the list is put together... and as I'm forced to challenge right, so there's no avoiding base contact. Plus to be honest, half the time it kills more than the sword. Sure, it's just my luck, but I'll take the kills any way I can. ;)

Regarding Warlord traits, random is the price we pay for ultimate power which we must have now considering how random we are right?

There are a couple of potential double-up results on the crimson slaughter table.  I would usually roll on strategic instead.

You can challenge with another character.  You can assault move with other models in the unit first and block the lord from reaching base contact, which can work if your lord is _not_ the guy in front.  He can still swing if close enough.

Archived