Battle Company

Charlo

Forgot this was even in the codex... Having a flick through and did the maths, you can take this formation for minimum 1335pts.

For reference it contains for those minimum points:

Captain

Chaplain

Command Squad

6 Tac squads

2 RAS

2 Devs

1 DC

1 Normal Dread

1 Furioso

Thats with Zero upgrades or extra bodies.

I guess it could work at 1850 where you can add in lots of transports and guns and bolster out the weaker squads, what do you brothers think?

6 Tac squads with obj sec and red thirst in a fluffy ish army. Think it could be effective?

That would be pretty fun to do actually! I'd be pretty worried going up against a Battle Company! 500 points for upgrades etc. still leaves a lot of nice options too, and at that level of body count full squads aren't THAT important either. But rhino rush with that could be fun ;)

I know what you mean, I'vd never even given this formationa  second glance, but it could be pretty fun. I'd be interested to see what people could do with this at 1,850 points.

Charlo, as OP, how would you kit the entire list out to be playable/fluffy?

Ooft. I'll have a fiddle later and see what I could do.

I think the list has real potential in maelstrom and playing the objective game. Kill points would suck, sure, but as soon as you put pods and Rhinos on this is gets very speedy and cappy.

Ooft. I'll have a fiddle later and see what I could do.

I think the list has real potential in maelstrom and playing the objective game. Kill points would suck, sure, but as soon as you put pods and Rhinos on this is gets very speedy and cappy.

I'm seriously considering making this into my next big project.

I'd need to by a command squad, a dreadnaught and another Dev squad, but as my group only plays Maelstorm, this could be fluffy and competative. :D

I'll try to knock up a full list too, but I'd love to see how others kit this list out.

It is surprisingly versatile. The only real limiting factor is a vanilla dread and no other characters allowed.

Really ties into the Tac thread that's going on too ;)

For those who are wondering it's 62 Marines are 2 dreads that make this up too :)

Hmmm.

After tinkering about on Battlescribe I am not sure this will be feasable in anything less thant 2,500 points.

After upgrades, dedicated transports, jump packs on DC, Storm Shields on Command squad... it all adds up very quickly. :(

I'd love to be proven wrong, I'm hoping someone out there can show us a decent loadout for less than 2000points.

It's sad really, because this formation should have been a WD exclusive and they should have ported the WD/supplement ones into the codex (the Flesh Tearers formation in particular is excellent).  It just seems like such an oddly fluffy formation considering previous codex releases.

From a gameplay standpoint, I don't think it'll be terribly competitive simply because it forces you to take several "point sink" units.  Like Buki said, it's a cool idea but the wargear will quickly inflate the points costs, and you're missing out on some important BA tools.  Even worse, since you're dumping so many points into the formation you probably won't be able to afford any allied support, so you'll almost certainly have at least 2 or 3 tactical gaps.

It could potentially work as a drop pod army, with obj secure pods. Some tacs won't get transport, make the dread a rifleman and scatter In a heavy flamer or melta gun when you drop. T1 could be really dangerous for the opponent but if your running kill points, you are screwed.

I was using 1850 as my limit

I really like the idea behind it, and my group pretty much plays fluffy / themed games exclusivly so I would love to try it, unfortunatly we rarely play games over 2,000 points and I can't see this formation being much fun without all the required upgrades.

I'll do the math tonight, but unless the DC and SG have their upgrades and the Tac squads get full units & transport for around 2,000 I probably wont get the chance to run it.

It could potentially work as a drop pod army, with obj secure pods. Some tacs won't get transport, make the dread a rifleman and scatter In a heavy flamer or melta gun when you drop. T1 could be really dangerous for the opponent but if your running kill points, you are screwed.

I was using 1850 as my limit

Very similar to what I was thinking, the alpha strike would be pretty strong, lots of special weapons everywhere.

Rifleman for sure though and a Fragioso. It would be about holding objectives and counter charging with the jumpers.

How does one equip a Command sqaud? Is there a standard "go to" loadout that people prefer?

I've never used them so I dont know where to start.

Also, what is a Rifleman dread? Assault cannons?

I didnt realise how crummy standard dreads are, it sucks they have to keep one powerfist arm.

Now if I could take an assault cannon on each arm, or... oh, two auto-cannons. Mmmm...

Rifleman dread is a pair of twin-linked autocannons, which is legal because the power fist can be swapped for either a twin-linked autocannon or a missile launcher.

My problem is that disallowing bike squads and limiting you to two Dreadnoughts isn't that fluffy when they all have 3-4 according to the roster.

It is surprisingly versatile. The only real limiting factor is a vanilla dread and no other characters allowed.

You can take anything you want, since formations are legal in unbound you just run unbound with a battle company + other stuff. It just means that your other models don't get objective secured and the initiative boost.

Wait, if a Dead can take 2 twin-linked autocannons, and it only costs 120 points, why all the hate on dreads?

I'd be pretty happy paying 120 points for an av12 vehicle with 4 long range, twin linked, strength 7 shots.

Aside from being a pain in the arse to model (I assume the kit doesnt come with this option on the sprue) it looks a pretty good way to go.

Tried working out something for 2k, as that's the level I tend to be playing at. Not an easy task, as you've all pointed out. But I don't think I'd be TERRIBLY upset to take this out to play.

Captain - AA, Jumppack, VV, Meltabombs

Chaplain - Jumppack

Command Squad - 3x Melta, Jumppacks

Death Company - Powersword, Powerfist, Jumppacks

Dreadnought - 2x Twinlinked Autocannons

Furioso - Frag Cannon, Meltagun, Droppod

Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino, 8 Marines, 

Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino, 7 Marines

Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer, Rhino, 7 Marines

Tactical Squad - Heavy Flamer

Assault Squad - 3x Melta

Assault Squad - 3x Melta

Devastator Squad - 2x Missile Launchers

Devastator Squad - 2x Heavy Bolters

Works out to Bang On 2000 points. Not sure how viable it ends up being, though.

That could work I reckon! Do the Assault Marines have Drop pods btw? I assume they do as they are kitted out for meltacide...

A list like this would screw with an opponent's target priority and most armies won't have enough guns to hit every unit! Also, potentially NINE ObjSec units... Nice. I'd probably change the footslogging Tacs up a bit though as they are probably less likely to get close enough to use flamers, or they might hang back on home objectives?

Looks good though, and I wouldn't mind giving it a go :D

Archived