Battle Company

Charlo

I think it will be fun to field this formation. I will say it requires 1850 minimum to get enough goodies in there. But the extra tactical squads can be used to great effect as objective squatters.

I also think this will make me start thinking about bringing a rifle dread in other lists I make.

I say you need 2500 to make it good. Normal marines can do a proper battle company at 2k or slightly below, but there's just too much fluff in this detachment to make it viable in smaller games IMHO.

Just having a lot of T4 3+ bodies isn't a problem for most opponents. Even when there's 60+ of them. 

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree there. Having slept on it, I think the list I built would be the absolute minimum I'd want to run. I'd like to throw Valour's Edge on the Captain, maybe a grav-pistol, too, bump the mounted tacs to full, and give them either a melta or a standard flamer, and give the devs full heavy weapons. 

Maybe some other bits and bobs. 

I would just try to make the Blooded Demi Company Formation work, honestly. Small enough you can bulk out the mandatory units if thats your thing, but its easy to work in a BSF to include the more Awesome BA stuff you really want (Sanguinary Guard, Sanguinary Priest, Dante, Stormraven. Etc)

The Blooded Demi Company is a waste of space. You can build that exact "formation" (not even special rules or warlord traits differ) with a BSF.

If you build it directly as a BSF you don't have to pay another troop and HQ tax to get some more elites.

In all honesty the normal battle company is hardly optimized either. But if you like the theme of it you have obviously left 'cut throat competitive' behind. The Blooded just gives you more space to work with if you want to stuff it into 1850 points

Speaking of that though... Dante's Avenging Host is interesting. Every damn unit that doesn't have an AV gets objective secured. Pretty neat. Only big problem is that the demi company get Red Thirst yet the actual heavy hitters, the SG and the charscters do not >.>

Basic cost is 1965, so possibly workable in 2500, but probably not. No DC though! :(

All the Death Company are in strike force Mortalis with the Sanguinor. .. God that would be an awesome host for a Mega Battle...

but Dantes Avenging Host does look awesome. It is basically my chart of what to buy and paint for Blood Angels... along with some more 1st Company support. The Space Hilk terminators plus the new Assault Termie kit? Awesome.

In all honesty the normal battle company is hardly optimized either. But if you like the theme of it you have obviously left 'cut throat competitive' behind. The Blooded just gives you more space to work with if you want to stuff it into 1850 points

It's not that the demi company isn't optimized, it's that the formation adds nothing new or different.

Anyone seen the Ultramarine company formation?

All squads must be 10 men. All must take drop pods.

All drop pods come on T1.

All units may either:

Shoot twice on the turn they disembark

Shoot once and assault.

It kind of makes the Baal Company look like a waste of space.

If I were doing Baal company, I'd try and rock 100 marines at the lowest cost possible. 

I think you can get 100 marines, no upgrades for 2065pts. I'd maybe drop a couple of assault marines to put the chappy and captain in a pod with them. 

Maybe:

2x 5 devs, 3x lascannons

2x 5 asm, 2meltas, combi melta, pod

Command squad, pod, 3melta, 3 ss

Fragioso, pod

Melta dread - pod, 

captain, vv, VE, grav pistol

That's 1700 right there, leaving you 300pts to mess around with tactical equipment and extra bodies.

Fair point. I didn't realise that 2000 WAS enough for 100 marines (and am too lazy to do the maths...), but if so than that really would be fun indeed! msn-wink.gif

Marines are 14pts each, 100 marines are 1400. Just how lazy are you? ;)

Fair point. I didn't realise that 2000 WAS enough for 100 marines (and am too lazy to do the maths...), but if so than that really would be fun indeed! ;)

Marines are 14pts each, 100 marines are 1400. Just how lazy are you? ;)

Lazy enough to not look in the codex right next to me to find out how much marines are... :)

All units may either:

Shoot once and assault.

More information on this, please!

All units may either:

Shoot once and assault.

THIS...ugh, this is exactly why I've been in such a flunk with BA since the new dex, I feel like we have the potential to to be something really special and different within 40k due to our unique units and unique standpoint in the fluff.

But nope, let's have the units and then just be normal SM

All units may either:

Shoot once and assault.

THIS...ugh, this is exactly why I've been in such a flunk with BA since the new dex, I feel like we have the potential to to be something really special and different within 40k due to our unique units and unique standpoint in the fluff.

The thing that gripes me is that we're supposedly a Codex adherent chapter, but we miss out on stuff that other chapters get the ones that would make sense for us, Land Speeder Storms and Storm Talons specifically.

I would also relish the opportunity to take TFCs and cents. We lack decent T, multi wounds models...

D

All units may either:

Shoot once and assault.

I wouldn't get too sad about that Ultra formation. It's so expensive and really only meant for Campaign play. I didn't think they could shoot and assault? That's too strong IMO.

At first our Dex seemed like a blessing and was, then we got word of the updated vanilla Dex (now having suffered the ridiculous Cron and Eldar) and really, now we seem like a half arsed band-aid with a fluff campaign supplement that had mainly useless, unwieldy formations and one useful detachment that could've been in the codex. Hell, our three white dwarf formations were much more powerful than the whole of exterminatus!

Now the Decurion is the standard, if vanilla get one it leaves us where we were 6 months ago pre Dex, outdated, underpowered and not getting a relevant update for another few years.

On us having all of the codex units, I don't think cents are very BA, but TFC, Land speeder storms & Storm Talons (though we get them with the wing formation) all fit our fluff well and would hardly be game breaking with thier inclusion.

Archived