Sergeant question

Delfeld

Hello brothers, i hope this is the right place to post my question.

I'm building my first tactical squad and i cannot decide the load out of the sgt. I've red that usually CC weapons on sergeants are a waist of points and i was going for a combi-something. 

Have you any advice for me? 

(For this squad i'm not going to magnetize, for the next we will see.)

For the heavy choise i'm going for the awesome heavy flamer, for the special i don't know. Maybe a Melta for balancing the squad aganist vehicles, or maybe another flamer for more anti infantry focus. I'm planning to use a rhino. 

Or i can use a razorback and split the squad, leaving five members behind.

Thanks for your reply btw!

Historically, I have always taken my Seargents, as bolter marines.

Sometimes, they have had a powerfist

I've never used combi weapons (except on a librarian with a combi plasma), probably never will.

Dual wield pistols looks handy, if expensive.

The problem with the many templates is that shooting is resolved separately for each weapon. So whatever weapon you shoot first will remove potential targets for the subsequent ones.

True, but it's still more hits overall than single shot weapons considering you don't need to roll to hit or the like. Plus you can always try to align your models with the least crossover :)

I miss the days when a Power Fist was an easy first choice. unsure.png

Can't go wrong with a Combi-Weapon for the points, though. Just match it up to what you need the squad to do. Other than that, dual-wielded pistols are a neat idea but it's a premium cost. You could probably get by with just one in most cases.

Ditto on match the Sarge to the Squads purpose. I personally use my Tacs to drop back and burn objective holders, back line type dudes, and hordes. So I give my Vet sarge a power sword so I can be responsibly sure I mop up one a turn on the charge.. Plus it looks cool.

The Sergeants in my tactical squads aren't even veterans. I only field a Gravgun and a Heavy Flamer in the squad and the sarge has the default wargear. On the Assault squads though, they are all veterans and carry at least a Power Fist.

My usual go-to loadouts for Tactical Squads are:

Multi-Melta, Plasmagun, Combi-Plasma

Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Combi-Melta

Considering you already picked HF as your heavy weapon, go for the Meltagun and Combi-Melta.  You will have a unit that can reliably hurt everything in the game.

I like consistancy with my TAC squads.

I currently have 3 TAc squads assembled:

Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Combi-Flamer and chainsword.

Plasma, Plasma Cannon, Plasma Pistol and chainsword.

Melta, Mulit-melta, Infurnus Pistol and chainsword.

Depends very much on the role of the squad. For my meltacide ASM pod-squads, I have gone for dual inferno pistols. This does cost a premium but with a small number of shots, it is vital that the squad get as many melta hits as possible to ensure the target dies as there is a very good chance the squad will not be there next turn. The extra points are worth it for the 33% increase in reliability vs a combi-melta.

For different squads, different maths applies. My CC scout sergeant usually runs with power weapon and melta bombs as these guys tend to be assaulting so a loadout that makes best use of FC is worth it.

Dev sergeants don't need much. Biker sergeants usually get combi-grav to take advantage of the relentless platform. Tactical squads can work with almost anything.

Thanks all for your advices! Seriously, you gave me a lot of things to think about xD

I think i will go for the combi melta for the sgt, and melta for special weapon, so i will have a squad capable to face almost everything as appiah suggested. The next tactical will be much different (lot of flamer probably) so i will be able to swap members and get two balanced squad or two focused squad. 

Oh, and go on with your opinions, it really helps me!

Of late, mine have a combi-weapon that compliments the unit's special weapon and melta bombs.

That said, the majority of my Tactical Squads are from the second edition box set, so they are armed with a bolt pistol and chainsword...

With my blood angels I tend towards power swords for most of my sergeants. With a heavy meta of csm a i5 str5 ap3 sergeant makes for a wonderfully dead enemy. If more of my opponents relied on tanks I'd try out combi meltas.

I have a preference for bolt pistol and chainsword due to that box set as well, but only have one built that way and one magnetized to have that option.

I also have a devastator sergeant with two chainswords who I'll probably give a bolt pistol once I get tired of the joke.

I really like some of the suggestions in this forum, especially Bukimimaru's

Based on that idea you can set up different Tactical squads for different roles:

• Anti-MEQ: Flamer, Heavy Flamer, SGT with Combi-Flamer and Chainsword/Power Sword.
  • Anti-Horde: Plasma Cannon, Plasmagun, SGT with Combi-Plasma/Plasma Pistol and Chainsword.
  • Anti-Tank: Mulit-melta, Meltagun, SGT with Combi-Melta/Inferno Pistol and Chainsword/Power Fist.

I really like some of the suggestions in this forum, especially Bukimimaru's

Based on that idea you can set up different Tactical squads for different roles:

• Anti-MEQ: Flamer, Heavy Flamer, SGT with Combi-Flamer and Chainsword/Power Sword.
  • Anti-Horde: Plasma Cannon, Plasmagun, SGT with Combi-Plasma/Plasma Pistol and Chainsword.
  • Anti-Tank: Mulit-melta, Meltagun, SGT with Combi-Melta/Inferno Pistol and Chainsword/Power Fist.

If you know what army you will be facing, it gives you plenty of scope to cover whatever roll you need your troops to fill.

Then there's deployment options, combat squadding, transports, reserves.

Alltogether you have a pretty diverse unit.

I think you mixed up the loadouts for anti MEQ and anti Horde, but yes.

Ive never ever used grav before on anything... I Have 3 tacts right now

squad one - combi plas, plasma, ML with flakk

squad two- power claw, Heavy flamer, meltagun

squad two- power sword, hand flamer, multimelta, flamer

any suggestions to flip around those current load outs?

What exactly do grav weapons even do?... Im sorry I just never used them before and never gave them a thought to throw in any army.

What exactly do grav weapons even do?... Im sorry I just never used them before and never gave them a thought to throw in any army.

Grav Weapons are serious awesomesauce.

They are Salvo 3/1 (you get 3 shots if you don't move or 1 shot if you do).

They wound on whatever the taget's save is, so if you shoot at a Terminator it wounds on a 2+, if you shoot at a Scout it wounds on a 4+ etc.

The best part is it's AP2 so its wicked good at killing Termys or Monsters like Dreadknights and Riptides.

Slap them on some Space Marine Bikes for relentless and you have a dedicated Elite killer. smile.png

Archived