I had my first game against the new Eldar...

vahouth

How much does usual squad of wraithguard with d-scythes costs? I've had unpleasant experience playing against them, and I think that sacrificing a squad just to charge them isn't a great idea. They have no invulnerable saves, right? How about assault squads with plasma guns? Two squads are 250 points, 12 plasma shots should be enough to kill 5-man wraithguard squad.

32 points a model. Five strong wraithguard unit with D-scythes are 210 points. Considering their stats and the things they can do they are reasonably(maybe even a bit under) priced.

Wraith Guard you'll likely find in a Wave Serpent. So unless you can pop it ASAP he'll melt at least 1 unit with the WG after they disembark, but at that point he's stranded. Never-ever-ever charge unless you want your unit to die/got something so cheap you don't care if it dies in order for another unit to get in safely.

Their movement and range is very limited on their own, so kiting & shooting to death is a wonderful tactic. IIRC they are T5 and 3+ Sv.

Wraith Guard you'll likely find in a Wave Serpent. So unless you can pop it ASAP he'll melt at least 1 unit with the WG after they disembark, but at that point he's stranded. Never-ever-ever charge unless you want your unit to die/got something so cheap you don't care if it dies in order for another unit to get in safely.

Their movement and range is very limited on their own, so kiting & shooting to death is a wonderful tactic. IIRC they are T5 and 3+ Sv.

People use webway portals these days. And they are T6.

T6 it is then! But webway portal or not he'll be stranded after coming in, the wave serpent at least allows for repositioning or objective grabbing later.

I might be completely wrong of course as I've only played against a limited amount of Eldar players (two), but the Wraith Guard is, to me, a wonderful magic bullet.
They'll absolutely murder something, and then be SoL.

Emicus has it about right. Wraithguard are very powerful but with short range and limited mobility, they will often not get to fire a second volley.

As for taking them down, plasma and grav are our most efficient options. Anything that can do multiple hits at AP3 or better will seriously hurt them so Vindicators, allied Knights and the like are viable options. Sternguard are also viable here but I would advocate Hellfire over hotshot.

Hmm, using 5 Sternies as a sample:

Vengeance at rapid fire causes about 6/7 hits and 1 or 2 wounds, saveable by cover if they have it.

Hell fire causes 6/7 hits and then 5/6 wounds, so usually 1 or 2 dead. Plus you get to stand a little further away, so yeah, hell fire for sure!

Legion of the Damned are a pretty ace answer to them. Ignores cover plasma, combi Grav and Plasma Cannon. Get thier 3++ against the hits (I think?) and do they still get thier FNP if they take the relic? I'm very unfamiliar with the rules for the D ;)

Plus LotD ate pretty ace against everything else in the codex, ignoring cover Melta and not caring about the Eldar ignore cover or AP3 or stupid bladestorm

This thread has served it's purpose and is starting to lose it's BA focus.

Anyone is of course welcome to start a new thread on how to deal with the Eldar menace. Just try to keep it on a list/tactics level and keep the 'unit x vs unit y in a vacuum' stuff to a minimum.

For instance I don't think anyone needs another remainder that grav is good vs heavy infantry and other tough things with good saves. ;)

There's no magic bullet for a good TAC list these days! 

Archived