If you could add one rule to one unit, what would you add?

Or just let Possessed pick their table result each turn. Mix the old table with the Crismson Slaughter one and you'd have a semi viable unit. Still lacking grenades but I guess that's the hard lot of a Daemon n 40k.

Nah, I like some randomness to them.  I mean, I'd prefer it to be in the form of random statline boosts, with fixed abilities, but that's more of a bottom up rewrite somewhat out of the scope of this thread.

In that case, I would add new icons, so that in addition to the current options there would also be a few more generic icons to choose from.  Since this is a 'one change' kind of deal, the one specific generic icon I would most like to add would be an "Icon of Summoning" for 20 odd points which would do the normal icon thing (+1 combat results), plus function as a homing beacon, immediately increasing both the utility of our own deep striking elements (I could start fielding my deep striking termy lord and retinue again), and provide considerable opportunities for interesting interactions with our chaos daemon battle brothers.  Since it would be an option, players who don't bother with deep striking could go on using the current icons with the current rules.

Dark Apostle

Unholy Ministration:

Once per turn the Dark Apostle chooses one of the sermons to invoke the beneficence of the Dark Gods. Chose one option per turn. Once the sermon is given voice it cannot be repeated for the duration of the game. The Dark Gods are fickle and uncaring and get easily annoyed.

Sermon of Khorne

The Dark Apostle and his unit get +1 Attack and Rending

Sermon of Slaanesh

An enemy unit suffers -3 to its Leadership score and must immediately take a Discipline check. If the check is failed, the unit attacks with a ranged attack the closest friendly unit. If the unit does not posses a ranged attack the unit is Pinned even if it has the Fearless attribute. 

Sermon of Tzeentch

The Dark Apostle invokes the might of the Great Changer. He can cast one of the psychic powers from the rulebook or the codex numbered, the sixth in the table, without testing for the successful psychic check. All disciplines are allowed. 

Sermon of Nurgle

The Dark Apostle and his unit gain +1 Toughness and FnP (5+) for the duration of the turn.

Sermon of Hatred

The fiery rhetoric of the Dark Apostle summons forth the baleful energies of Warp Fire. The Dark Apostle spews dark words which burn both living and dead. S 1 AP 1 Torrent Flamer, Soul Blaze Fleshbane/Armourbane

Sermon of Corruption

By invoking the dread energies of the Warp the Dark Apostle summons forth the mutagenic power of Chaos. Select one enemy character (individual characters are not allowed) and roll a d3.

• 1-2 The model transforms into a Spawn under your command
  • 3-4 The model erupts in an explosion of gore: S (Model) AP 6 Large Area (center on the model)
  • 5-6 The model transforms into a Daemonic Herald of your own choosing with 15 points of wargear, under your command

Give bolters to Possessed......

The premise behind them in the fluff from both 30k and 40k is that the "daemon within" comes to the fore when enraged in close combat, yet they still retain enough sanity to use their bolters prior to that point......

Also think the Assault from Rhinos and FnP for Possessed are great ideas as well....

~BtW

How about removing rules? Slow and Purposeful absolutely negates any usefulness out of Mutilators and gimp Obliterators for no real reason.  A 6 inch movement isn't that dangerous with great shooting capabilities, and especially not for a close combat unit.

For adding, I'd add a homing beacon type rule to Chaos Icons specifically for Daemons, and allow Aspiring Champions of power/terminator armored units to take a homing beacon in general.  The lack of deep strike accuracy really hurts our mobility and turn 1/2 threat.

Adding a Daemonflesh rule to Forge/Maulerfiends that lets them recover from Immobilized results on either a 4+ or with a successful IWND roll, whichever balances better.  Throwing a track or losing an engine makes sense to me, but for something that supposedly combines the perks of machinery and armor with the resiliency and healing properties of Daemons, it boggles my mind how a Forge/Maulerfiend could be kept pinned from moving without being utterly destroyed.

Letting Apostles and Warpsmiths take bikes or jump packs (I can definitely see the argument for bikes only on smiths, but I don't see any reason an Apostle couldn't take both).

Give us ATSKNF for our equivalent squads from the loyalist codex that have it, make VotLW an upgrade for HQ entries, Chosen, Terminators, and Aspiring Champions. 

Cheers,

-Kal

Khârn- Eternal Warrior, dunno seems fitting for a guy who have been killed a few times and his ressurected by Khorne each :cussing time...

Chaos Lord, Lord of the Damned, if the Lord have the appropriate mark, he gains the same bonus and characteristics as his Cult troops, adding the rules/bonuses of the Marks; Khorne=+1WS,Furious charge, Nurgle= Poison(4+), FnP, Slaanesh=Can take a Doom Siren, Tzeentch= Inferno Bolts and count has a LVL 2 Psyker.

Rhinos- Open topped options for a cost reduction of 5pts.

LR- Infernal Engine= Same has PoTMS+ Deamon rule.

Maulerfiend- if the mauler is equipped with Magmacutters et can during the shooting phase use those to make a shooting attack, with the profil of a meltagun, also the Tendrils counts has assaults+defensive grenades.

Chosen- Retenue, can be taken as a Retenue to one CSM HQ model that is not a Deamon Prince, the HQ and the Retinue count has ONE HQ choice.

Khorne berzerkers= Berzerker Onslaught= when Zerkers assault they gain a +1 Initiative for that turn.

Heldrake, arc of fire is 180*.

Defiler is AV Front 13 and cost is reduced to 180pts.

LR- Infernal Engine= Same has PoTMS+ Deamon rule.

If you make Demonic Possession include the POTMS rule, you can add it to the Land Raider, and it would also make the Defiler worth its points (Ability to shoot the battle-cannon and another gun)  

Khârn- Eternal Warrior, dunno seems fitting for a guy who have been killed a few times and his ressurected by Khorne each :cussing time...

You do realize that you argued against yourself on this one? Yes, he get's resurrected by Khorne... ;)

To the Thousand Sons, I would grant the 'Daemon of Tzeentch' Rule msn-wink.gif

I'd add Daemon of Tzeentch to Thousand Sons!

Probably best to read the whole thread, there, Mr Mod msn-wink.gif

I guess Tzeentchian minds think alike!

To the Thousand Sons, I would grant the 'Daemon of Tzeentch' Rule msn-wink.gif

I'd add Daemon of Tzeentch to Thousand Sons!

Probably best to read the whole thread, there, Mr Mod msn-wink.gif

I guess Tzeentchian minds think alike!

Whaaaaaat??? How could I miss that??? blush.png

Slow and Purposeful absolutely negates any usefulness out of Mutilators and gimp Obliterators for no real reason

You mean like besides obliterators being able to move and shot their heavy weapon after deep strike or moving, because they are S&P?

ATSKNF I see as representing post-heresy brain washing regimens, and chaos marines either never had that (heresy vets) or have already broken free of it (post heresy guys).  Further, chaos marines are a more limited resource than loyalists, so abandoning a battle in order to 'live to fight another day' makes sense to me.

I would like some other army-wide rule to distinguish chaos marine units, something automatic as opposed to options which are generally overpriced.  Something like:

'Chaos Marine: units with this rule have stubborn and hatred: armies of the imperium'.  Seems to me that would fit with all chaos marines pre or post heresy.  All hate the loyalists for representing what they've lost, and for suborning their potential to the will of week terran lords.  All are stubborn in their pride, else they would not have fallen to begin with.

Plus, both are rules that apply only to melee, and as such would emphasize the overall melee leaning of the faction without outright forcing the matter.

Of course, the veteran upgrade would have to go away (perhaps represented instead by distinct units - chosen, terminators, and cult units wold be 'veterans' and other units wouldn't be) or be changed (perhaps represented instead by a new system of veteran skills).

Honestly, though, messing around with the army-wide rules as a whole feels out of scope with this thread's purposes.

Chaos Lord, Lord of the Damned, if the Lord have the appropriate mark, he gains the same bonus and characteristics as his Cult troops, adding the rules/bonuses of the Marks; Khorne=+1WS,Furious charge, Nurgle= Poison(4+), FnP, Slaanesh=Can take a Doom Siren, Tzeentch= Inferno Bolts and count has a LVL 2 Psyker.

I like this very much. Always bothered me a Slaanesh Lord couldn't take a Doom Siren or a Tzeentch one Inferno Bolts.

This please. I mean the Soulgrinder is basically the same thing except its walking around naked and boosting +1AV. Never quite got the reasoning behind that. (Except of course that every Chaos player already owns at least one Defiler and they wanted us to buy Daemon allies for the superior new Soulgrinder...)

Slow and Purposeful absolutely negates any usefulness out of Mutilators and gimp Obliterators for no real reason

You mean like besides obliterators being able to move and shot their heavy weapon after deep strike or moving, because they are S&P?

Ah, yep.  Very true.  I rarely use them because I prefer a mobile force. My bad :blush:

Anything that has the Daemon special rule and can a Mark of Chaos automatically gets the Daemon of... Special Rule when taking the upgrade.

e.g. a Possessed with Mark of Nurgle will also be Daemon of Nurgle.

I wish Rubric were "daemon of" in this same thing but by saying that I guess I'm cheating :P

ATSKNF I see as representing post-heresy brain washing regimens, and chaos marines either never had that (heresy vets) or have already broken free of it (post heresy guys). Further, chaos marines are a more limited resource than loyalists, so abandoning a battle in order to 'live to fight another day' makes sense to me.

I would like some other army-wide rule to distinguish chaos marine units, something automatic as opposed to options which are generally overpriced. Something like:

'Chaos Marine: units with this rule have stubborn and hatred: armies of the imperium'. Seems to me that would fit with all chaos marines pre or post heresy. All hate the loyalists for representing what they've lost, and for suborning their potential to the will of week terran lords. All are stubborn in their pride, else they would not have fallen to begin with.

Plus, both are rules that apply only to melee, and as such would emphasize the overall melee leaning of the faction without outright forcing the matter.

Of course, the veteran upgrade would have to go away (perhaps represented instead by distinct units - chosen, terminators, and cult units wold be 'veterans' and other units wouldn't be) or be changed (perhaps represented instead by a new system of veteran skills).

Honestly, though, messing around with the army-wide rules as a whole feels out of scope with this thread's purposes.

3rd and 4th editions had a veteran skills table in the Chaos Armory that allowed different units or characters to purchase these skills to show they were more like a veteran unit.

Havocs with tank hunter or a lord on a bike with skilled rider.......

Archived