Tips on assembling Dunecrawler

I haven't built one, but my common sense says to leave off the gunner and the entire turret/upper body off for easy of painting. The hardest part would probably be the legs and getting in all the crevices/being neat. Unless you plan on doing the legs all one color, in which case it would be easier to slap up.

I have a big wad of Blu-Tac that i press into the back of the sprue frame when im trimming off small delicate bits like the ladder rungs and other small parts...i push the tac on to the area so when i cut the part its held solid and doesn't snap and cutting into blu tac doesn't ruin it ,that's my 2c on the dune crawler msn-wink.gif

oh and yes i didn't glue the gun and arms onto the gunner till after he was done and then glued him into the cupola.

Mithril

So I've found that the optional feet, which will be mandatory for my crawlers, are tricky to glue on flat to the base (not that I'm gluing them to the base now, just trying to get them to sit flat)

with this i made the leg section then placed the feet down flat and level on the sand shoes and placed the clip parts in (not glued) and glued the bottom of the clip to the sand shoe and let it sit properly placed and spaced til it dried, then you can carefully remove the sand shoe and clip from the foot for painting etc..

see below

med_gallery_9146_6928_336035.jpg

cheers Mithril

So I've found that the optional feet, which will be mandatory for my crawlers, are tricky to glue on flat to the base (not that I'm gluing them to the base now, just trying to get them to sit flat)

with this i made the leg section then placed the feet down flat and level on the sand shoes and placed the clip parts in (not glued) and glued the bottom of the clip to the sand shoe and let it sit properly placed and spaced til it dried, then you can carefully remove the sand shoe and clip from the foot for painting etc..

see below

med_gallery_9146_6928_336035.jpg

cheers Mithril

I see. Well, live and learn I guess. Will be good for dunecrawler 2.

Dunecrawler 1 is built into 3 sub assemblies (weapon, main hull and leg assembly) and is currently bluetacked together on my desk.

Don't feel too bad if you're struggling at all with the Dunecrawler; while it's a lovely model the fiddly parts are certainly there. I particularly struggled with clearing the fragile bits from the sprue, and I ended up gluing the ball joints of the legs in place because they kept flopping around when I was trying to get the torso together. In the end I had to do some green stuff work and ignore a few details to get the model the way I wanted it. Personally, I feel the little footpads don't really work for me aesthetically, but mithrilforge's technique to get them on straight is a protip, for sure! happy.png

Don't feel too bad if you're struggling at all with the Dunecrawler; while it's a lovely model the fiddly parts are certainly there. I particularly struggled with clearing the fragile bits from the sprue, and I ended up gluing the ball joints of the legs in place because they kept flopping around when I was trying to get the torso together. In the end I had to do some green stuff work and ignore a few details to get the model the way I wanted it. Personally, I feel the little footpads don't really work for me aesthetically, but mithrilforge's technique to get them on straight is a protip, for sure! happy.png

I glued the legs in to begin with, honestly.

Archived