"Assault Vehicle" Drop Pods

LutherMax

I went to the Grand (Re)Opening Day of Warhammer World in Nottingham at the weekend and there was a book available there (and a HUGE diorama – see pics on my blog) about the Battle for Angelus Prime. It's Ultramarines vs. Khorne and the fried I went with has a Smurf army and bought the book. He was reading it on the way home and there were some formations that allowed charging from drop pods on turn of arrival.

I wondered if there was anything that might allow this in a Blood Angels army – or is that just the stuff of distant dreams..?

Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pods. You can assault out of them but not the turn you arrive? So what happens you just sit in it until the next turn? What's the point of that?!?!

Angels fury spearhead formation

Allows you to Assault if you can land your pods in the range of the triangulation. Not easy if you have to place your pods bevor you can move your ravens.

You can drop a dread in the Lucius pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod Turn1 . The Dread can stay enbarked (only in this pod) till the Turn you want to charge.

The Pod has also shrouding and gives the units behind it also shrouding if the Enemy musst shoot through it.

The book in question is the forthcoming Blood Oath campaign book. The basic information can be found here and you're looking for the Spear of Sicarius formation that is spoilered.

As for what BA have, see the post above mine by Riot Earp and the reason why it works by CaptainHelion.

Regarding Forgeworld, all their Drop Pods (so the Lucius, Dreadclaw and Kharybdis) don't have the rule that force you to disembark on the first turn, again, as mentioned above. This is confirmed by an email to Forgeworld listed here on our BA-centric FAQ thread.

With Angel's Fury Spearhead, you might as well just use jump packs rather than pods. You have locator beacons anyway. For Dreadnoughts you can just put them in the Stormravens and use Skies of Blood instead (unless I'm still confused about how that works).

Spear of Sicarius is a full Ultramarines battle Company only, its not for most games since unlike the BA Battle Company its units all have to be full strength. Its also limited to regular dreads rather than Ironclads and can have at most three actual assault units in it anyway so even if you do play a 2500 point game against it then you should be more scared of the shooting twice thing it also gets.

Technically, all droppods are assault vehicles, as they are open-topped.

It does not generally help because even the assault vehicle rule does not allow assault on the turn the vehicle arrives from reserves.

Passengers disembarking from Access Points on a vehicle with this special rule can charge on the turn they do so (even on a turn that the vehicle was destroyed) unless the vehicle arrived from Reserve that turn.

Technically, all droppods are assault vehicles, as they are open-topped.

It does not generally help because even the assault vehicle rule does not allow assault on the turn the vehicle arrives from reserves.

Passengers disembarking from Access Points on a vehicle with this special rule can charge on the turn they do so (even on a turn that the vehicle was destroyed) unless the vehicle arrived from Reserve that turn.

No, it certainly doesn't. But my point is that it's whether droppods are assault vehicles or not that's important, it's that you have to disembark as soon as you arrive.

The formation is the entire 2nd company of ultramarines, which allows either a unit to shoot twice, or shoot once and assault.

There is nothing for us, beyond the angels fury spearhead.

Bear in mind that to use the UM formation, you need:

100 marines

command squad

sicarius

dreadnoughts

12+ drop pods.

A little ROI in apocalypse games is fair and square.

Good point Zenith – the awesome ability does come at a cost!

Assaulting on the turn you arrive from reserve (particularly from a drop pod but also using jump packs) is the holy grail for me. But I understand that would make an army 'too powerful' in a way because you could lock up whole shooty armies and basically castrate them.

It would be fun though...

Good point Zenith – the awesome ability does come at a cost!

Assaulting on the turn you arrive from reserve (particularly from a drop pod but also using jump packs) is the holy grail for me. 

Well then, use the Angels Fury spearhead. It's something like 1050pts and 215 pounds, but lets you assault T1 from drop pods.

Thanks Jolemai!

That might be just enough to make me paint two more Stormravens and two more tactical squads!

What happens if you play using only this formation and fail the reserve (re)roll turn 1? You're tabled and auto-lose! :D

Archived