Blood Angels Advice Needed

bludainjel

First of all hello to everyone. I played angels in a friendly environment during 5th with some friends but it broke down due to work, family commitments etc

Anyway I have just purchased the blood angels codex and don't know where to start! I like the thought of tacticals in pods but am struggling to decide on elites choices as theres so much goodness there. I quite like the command squad as it seems like value but at the same time want them to be blood angely lol. Could the guys who have been running BA or come up against them regularly give me some advice on the army. That would be appreciated. Cheers

If they are blood angely is down to your modeling my friend!

Most of our unit choices are good this codex with all of them filling a decent role! If your gaming circle isn't super competitive (read: no one uses lots of eldar/ necrons) you should be fine.

As for elites, nothing beats some death company with a fist and a power sword/ maul!

Yeah I remember having lots of fun with the dc back in 5th. I don't have a gaming circle at the moment ill need to get down to one of the local hobby shops once I get a list together. I think 1000pts is a good starting point. Here is the first attempt

HQ-Chaplain w/ angels wing-115pts

TROOPS- Tactical Squad w/vtsgt handflamer, flamer, heavy flamer, Drop Pod-210pts

Tactical Squad w/vtsgt infernus pistol, meltagun, multimelta, Drop Pod-220pts

ELITES-5 Death Company w/jump packs, power sword, power fist-155pts

Death Company Dreadnought w/blood talons, Drop Pod-170pts

FAST ATTACK-Assault Squad w/ vtsgt infernus pistol, 2Xmeltaguns-130pts

Yeah I remember having lots of fun with the dc back in 5th. I don't have a gaming circle at the moment ill need to get down to one of the local hobby shops once I get a list together. I think 1000pts is a good starting point. Here is the first attempt

HQ-Chaplain w/ angels wing-115pts

TROOPS- Tactical Squad w/vtsgt handflamer, flamer, heavy flamer, Drop Pod-210pts

Tactical Squad w/vtsgt infernus pistol, meltagun, multimelta, Drop Pod-220pts

ELITES-5 Death Company w/jump packs, power sword, power fist-155pts

Death Company Dreadnought w/blood talons, Drop Pod-170pts

FAST ATTACK-Assault Squad w/ vtsgt infernus pistol, 2Xmeltaguns-130pts

Not bad at all, but if your going to pod a Dread, go with the Furioso+Frag Canon.

As it stands, your Chaplain and RAS would arrive after any decent target has already been potentially neutralised. A Drop Pod for that set up is arguably more efficient.

As for a love of podded Tactical Marines, we can do this well but ideally, it should be spammed to the maximum amount using a CAD format.

First of all hello to everyone. I played angels in a friendly environment during 5th with some friends but it broke down due to work, family commitments etc

Anyway I have just purchased the blood angels codex and don't know where to start! I like the thought of tacticals in pods but am struggling to decide on elites choices as theres so much goodness there. I quite like the command squad as it seems like value but at the same time want them to be blood angely lol. Could the guys who have been running BA or come up against them regularly give me some advice on the army. That would be appreciated. Cheers

I usually run my command squad in their HB Razorback and I've gotten good results from them. They are equipped with bolters, chainsword, meltagun, sergeant with powerfist and grav pistol, captain with Valour's Edge and plasma pistol.

They wreck stuff. 

I also get good mileage out of assault squads geared out with melta in pods. That means meltaguns x2, and an assault sergeant that is an infernus pistol x2 gunslinger.

Lastly our tactical squads rock! I run one full ten man with flamer, heavy flamer, and sergeant with powerfist and flamer. Then I run another 10 man tactical geared for either melta or flamer depending on the situation?

As for elites you can't go wrong with either our death company or sanguinary guard. I tend to run either one or the other in addition to dropping a Furioso Dreadnought equipped with a frag cannon along with my melta assault marines in my first wave of pods. Many will say terminators suck but I guess I've been lucky when using mine. While not awesome they have tended to do well, kill some stuff and then eventually get smoked in subsequent turns. Don't forget if you go death company give them jet packs because they are so cheap this edition. Nice to have a hard hitting force with good mobility!

I also like to use either my heavy bolter devastator squad or my lascannon devastator squad. if used strategically either squad can earn its points back. I always field one of them.

So in summary I use:

Melta assault squads in pods

Fragioso dreadnought in pods

Terminators in pods (or in a land raider if I'm running my assault terminators)

Tactical squads loaded out as a flamer squad or melta squad in fast moving Rhinos

Either a 10 man death company or 10 man sanguinary guard

Usually run my command squad in a fast razorback

Devastator squad

For HQs I experiment. For personal reasons and fluff reasons I run a captain in my command squad. I like to run First Captain Karlaen for the reserve roll buff and if I do I make him my warlord.

Try some of those for a start... but our tactical squads rock this codex, and same for our assault squads geared out with melta. Always use them!  :)  .... good luck brother.

Should I pod the assault squad as well?

If you pod the assault squad, you have four pods. I would try to get another drop pod in that case. Half (round up) of the pods show up on turn 1. So with five pods three would be in your opponent's face on the first turn.

Archived