Victim of the changing times.

Malharath

Hello all,

So having recently come back into the fold after a year or so off, I have found myself grasping for some answers. 

The main one is flyers (aside from the magic phase). How to deal with them. My mate is looking to get a Tigershark, and I believe I will need something to at least have a crack at this.

My list hasn't varied for sometime as I built/played this when 6th rolled around with plasma being the new meta. Pretty much it was Astorath, Death Co., and three Land Raiders. It work a charm. Now days it still does, but for the sake a sanity, I need new things.

I am open to all suggestions. I have plenty of models, and can expand that.

I was however looking at some Forge World gear. Mainly the Fire Raptor. The only thing is I could not seem to find an updated set of rules, the set on Forge World seemed to be for an older edition. 

TLDR: find me some cool stuff to help me beat the bigger stuff around these days. Not to mention pesky flyers.

The Fire Raptor is in Imperial Armour Volume 2, 2nd Edition - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, along with all but the 2-3 Forge World Space Marines vehicles that have been released since it came out (Deredeo Dreadnought, Xiphon Interceptor, and the Vindicator Laser Destroyer, I think - rules for those are still PDF).

Initially it wasn't available to Blood Angels, but there's a FAQ on the website.

There are a couple of ways to deal with fliers. First of all, the obvious answer is to bring fliers of your own. For a Blood Angel, the Stormraven is a pretty potent anti-air platform that doubles up as an assault transport capable of carrying a Dreadnought for your melee deathstar units :) It fills a similar role as the Land Raider, but in a much more offensive way over a deterrent like the land based transport.

The second option is to have ground based weapons with skyfire, you could invest in Flakk Missiles for Devastators but they are generally expensive and a bit lacking. The third option is to have high rate of fire high strength weapons with Twin Linked so that Snap Shooting is less of an issue.

There's often a third way: ignore it. Not every flyer is a credible threat to every army. If the best it can do is kill a couple of Marines or a Rhino a turn, as is often the case with anti-tank type flyers, you probably have more important targets.

My recommendation? If you're willing to go forgeworld get a sicaran, and put the legacy of glory which gives it skyfire, interceptor, tank hunter etc for 1 turn (I believe it's the battle of sarosh), it's accelerator cannon is strong enough to knock out most fliers and has ignores cover, so no jink!!

Stormraven with mm and either ac's or lascannon and hurricane bolters will do for a tau tigershark if you can get behind it. Fire raptor 'might' struggle due to lack of high s weapons- i'd always recommend the bolter sponsons on it as they are just so much better against anything other than av12 or better.

There's often a third way: ignore it. Not every flyer is a credible threat to every army.

I bring 3 Stormravens as part of my normal force... with hurricane bolters.  This becomes pretty hard to ignore when you are eliminating entire squads+ per turn.

I'm seriously considering going full cheese by taking the Crimson Hunter formation or a Stormwing and pulling a trollface the entire match.

Then sit at home and not have anyone want to play me...

Ravens are great. 

Raptors are amazing, but not super-duper for other flyers (that are AV12).  Vs Av11 and 10 its incredible.  So, depends what you're up against. 

The vengeance batteries at 150 points for 2x AV14 bastions with BS2, Heavy2, Twinlinked S9,AP2, skyfire, interceptor shots each is really nice.  
Alternatively, hyperios launchers - 140 points will net you 4x T6, 2W 3+ sv models with BS3, Heavy1, Twinlinked, S8, AP3, skyfire, interceptor shots - also very solid.

Battle of Sarosh (legacy) on the Sicaran is mentioned already. 

That aside, Storm Ravens make for really good tactical units that are not only good anti-air, theyre fantastic gaming units. I highly recommend these. 

Also -welcome to the forums!!

I bring 3 Stormravens as part of my normal force... with hurricane bolters.  This becomes pretty hard to ignore when you are eliminating entire squads+ per turn.

I'm seriously considering going full cheese by taking the Crimson Hunter formation or a Stormwing and pulling a trollface the entire match.

Then sit at home and not have anyone want to play me...

Say you're playing a Maelstrom mission like Spoils of War. Enjoy your reserve rolls, because it's entirely feasible for your opponent to build up such a lead that the game will be over before all your flyers have even arrived.

TLDR: find me some cool stuff to help me beat the bigger stuff around these days. Not to mention pesky flyers.

Welcome to the best BA forums on the web!

You've already gotten solid answers on flyers. Just like to add that in my experience there's been a steady shift away from flyers and thus people worry less about anti-flyer units as well. 

This means that my storm raven now tend to survive much more often compared to before. It might not be the hottest thing on the power curve, but none the less it's an extremely useful tactical unit for BA. 

For the big and nasty stuff the best medicine is grav weapons, lot's of them. Preferably on bikes but sternguard or command squads are alternatives. Against super heavies and the like BA don't have a good answer by themselves, we don't pack the volume of fire needed. If you really need to deal with these look at FW or allies. You can of course go crazy with melta and combi meltas, but our codex isn't the best at spamming these weapons. 

Say you're playing a Maelstrom mission like Spoils of War. Enjoy your reserve rolls, because it's entirely feasible for your opponent to build up such a lead that the game will be over before all your flyers have even arrived.

Wait... luck is part of this game? Darnit, I quit.

Wait... luck is part of this game? Darnit, I quit.

It's a fair point. Eliminating risk/rolls wherever possible is a huge part of constructing a list with consistent performance.

Going extremely reserve heavy like that without further investments in reserve manipulation is going to make for some very frustrating games from time to time. 

Totally agree.  I've been playing the Angel's Fury formation a few times, and the rest drop-pods.  I use a commo relay sometimes but usually rely on the +1 reserve roll strategic trait.

Never lost a game in 7th due to things showing up too late, I lose games because I am an idiot.  Big difference.

Edit: Also, my first comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek.  I don't know why I continue to debate that corner.

I know the Storm Wing, but what is the Crimson Hunter Formation?

Archived