Which is our most resilient unit?

nevaenuffbass

I have come up against dragon-wing (dragon with a 2++ after psychic powers and Paladins with 2+/4++/5+Fnp) and thunderwolf cav. Both are very resilient units.

I am jealous if these units, as we don't have the same available to us. But I'm curios if anyone has any go to resilient choices?

Captain with storm shield / jump pack and artificer army to rank or sang guard?

Allied centurions and Tigarus for invisibility?

Allied space marine captain, bike, shield eternal?

Dante?

As a related topic how do you deal with death stars? Thunderwolves, Paladins, necron wraiths, ork bikers (to a lesser extent). If you do the math hammer for the number of shots it would take to destroy these units, compare that with the shooting you can fit into the same number of points (or cc) you might realise that we can't kill them.

So... Psychic powers? Fear the darkness? Tarpit? (Our best tarpit is? - invisibility I guess)

On TWC: if Death Company of around the same points value get the charge with a couple of special weapons, they usually win out through weight of attacks and resilience with FNP etc.

Scouts aren't too bad for tarpitting - use them aggressively, it's still ten bodies that do a fair amount of S4/5 attacks back! Even if they take one wolf down you'll be smiling!

In general, death stars are just that, a lot of points sunk into a unit  to hopefully win for you. We can negate it with our speed and alpha strike, taking out the other weaker parts of the opponents army while feeding the deathstar units.

A great example could be a melta-cide assault squad (5 man, 2 melta guns and 2 inferno pistols on the sarge) podding in to take out an armored target, these might then distract the death star or other parts of the army with a very inexpensive unit

General resilience though, Sanguinary Guard and a Priest is pretty tanky, I suppose you could always ally a DA Librarian with the 4+ save field and a jumpack (if this is possible) to really up the survivability!

Heavily considering converting multiple Laser Destroyers for this reason.

Nothing can argue with up to 3 S9 AP2 Large Blasts a turn biggrin.png

Not Blast templates I'm afraid.

The Demios Pattern Vindicator Laser Destroyer is 3x twin linked S9 AP1 ORDNINANCE.

Sadly Ordinance does not = Bast template. It just rolls 2 dice to wound vehicles and takes the highest.

I'm looking at the Forgeworld rules now and I cant see that its a blast template.

I'd love to be wrong, so if someone could correct me that would be great. >_<

Heavily considering converting multiple Laser Destroyers for this reason.

Nothing can argue with up to 3 S9 AP2 Large Blasts a turn biggrin.png

Not Blast templates I'm afraid.

The Demios Pattern Vindicator Laser Destroyer is 3x twin linked S9 AP1 ORDNINANCE.

Sadly Ordinance does not = Bast template. It just rolls 2 dice to wound vehicles and takes the highest.

I'm looking at the Forgeworld rules now and I cant see that its a blast template.

I'd love to be wrong, so if someone could correct me that would be great. >_<

I thought Ordinance = Large blast O.O

Or at least it did back to when I remember... unsure.png

Why should it have Blast?

As for FW, they have precedence in making Ordnance weapons without the Blast rule i.e. Hellstrike Missiles (and yes, you shouldn't buy them on anything that's not a Thunderhawk due to the 7th edition vehicle rules!)

It needs to have the "Blast" special rule. I do recall something in maybe 3/4th about ordinance=large blast, but dont quote that.

That's what I'm thinking of. Bah :(

Okay, the laser destroyer was a lot less powerful than I imagined xD

It needs to have the "Blast" special rule. I do recall something in maybe 3/4th about ordinance=large blast, but dont quote that.

That's what I'm thinking of. Bah :(

Okay, the laser destroyer was a lot less powerful than I imagined xD

It's still a totally boss Vehicle / Monster killer.

3 shots, hitting on 3's, re-rolling. S9 so glancing most stuff on 3's or 4's but you get two dice and pic the highest. Then you get +2 to the damage chart or +3 if it's open topped.

All that for 130 points? I'll take two. Lol.

I've played two games with one now, check out my Redeemers thread for details. ;)

Going back to some of the previous comments, I've found nothing that's been able to come out on top of my ten man DC (2x power sword, 1x power fist) with a Chaplain in there. At 1250pt games, which I'm mostly playing at the moment, this does just fine - the Chaplain being my only HQ. The DC take a lot of effort to take down when taken in larger numbers.

Other than that, a newly purchased Vindicator has done wonders, even if it's gone by the third turn once my opponent realises the damage it leaves behind. In a recent game against Orks one on target shot from the Demolisher Cannon took out a Warboss and four Meganobz which were going to cause me some trouble in the close combat department. 

I like to attach Dante and a Chaplain to a DC Squad with a fist.

Rage, rerolls and hit & run can be brutal, Dante provides extra high S ap2 hits at high initiative can soak some of the small arms fire, the Chappy hits hard at S7 and brings concussive to the table as well as a second model with an Invul and obviously DC have built in FnP.

It's good, but I am still slightly envious that we don't have multi wound models with decent T (other than attack bikes).

D

Archived