Combat Shields on Assault Sergeants

Lostiris

Is it worth spending the points for a combat shield on a Assault Squad Sergeant ?

A 6++ doesn't seem that great but it could be the difference between winning or losing a challenge (or still being alive to smack something with a Power Fist).

Does anyone use them ?

Thoughts?

IF they were still 5++, I would probably get them occasionally.  But 6++ I don't  bother.

When were they 5++? Must have been a long time ago, before 5th Ed. at least.

3rd and 4th they were 5++ but only in combat.  Storm shields then were 4++ but only in combat.

One thing that keeps me away from the Command Squad is that the champion is stuck with a 6++.

In the previous codex we at least had the option not to take a champion. And with this codex we can't even raise our fists and shout Waaaaaaaaaaaaaard! in our best Shattner impression upon reading.

Just kidding, the codex is fine, except for a few minor points.

One thing that keeps me away from the Command Squad is that the champion is stuck with a 6++.

In the previous codex we at least had the option not to take a champion. And with this codex we can't even raise our fists and shout Waaaaaaaaaaaaaard! in our best Shattner impression upon reading.

Hah right? And the champion is all like "I totally must issue and accept challenges, so let me take this cardboard box shield 'cuz there's no better options."

Hah right? And the champion is all like "I totally must issue and accept challenges, so let me take this cardboard box shield 'cuz there's no better options."

You really would think that a CHAPTER CHAMPION would have some legit stats wouldn't you? 2W, Artificer and a Storm Shield for a start. Maybe some stances....?

You really would think that a CHAPTER CHAMPION would have some legit stats wouldn't you? 2W, Artificer and a Storm Shield for a start. Maybe some stances....?

Exactly, 2W cause he's stuck in a squad with 4 other joes plus HQs. It wouldn't break them by no means. And at least give the option of a SS with a point charge if you have to.

Isn't he a company champion? Either way, having a command squad tooled up with storm shields is hilariously frustrating, because the champion, the guy responsible for the challenges, always forgets to bring his. Every time. That's just a combat shield, bro, please learn the difference. (maybe he actually does bring his storm shield, he just forgets to turn it on)

The main reason I can see for taking a combat shield in an assault squad is because the one in the new kit is rad as hell and it's going to look really cool on your minis. Is that and a 6++ worth the points? I'm kind of inclined to think I'm paying for the first half of the deal more than the second, honestly, because a 6++ is a very small chnce of not being dead for points you could be putting towards more death company or more special weapon output elsewhere, but I'm definitely going to try it.

When Assault Sergeants had the option for Storm Shields, I took them. Mostly because it was hilarious to challenge and tank units like Chapter Master Smashfether with a combat-sqaud.

But just a 6++ isn't really gonna do it. It's not reliable enough, and I find that my Assault Squads are much more highly-mobile special weapon squads now.

I never bother with assault squads except as melta-cide in a drop pod so nether shield is really worth the points for the sarg. Personally, there isn't much in the fast attack of our book that I really like, besides of course the grav-bikers.  If/when I spend points on fast attack besides the bikers, it's usually on a drop pod for a five man terminator squad.

I take one on my assault sergeant almost all the time.  Mainly on the off chance he'll do something epic.  And eventually he will.  That's just averages. . .   Eventually, he will take a power fist shot effortlessly on his combat shield, and then give a double hand flamer money-shot to the helmetless guy that tried to punch him.  And when he does, all those horrible horrible past deaths will be worth it. 

Archived