Tips for fighting Greyknights

Just4uCupCake

God-Emperor, he sounds terrible. I wouldn't be keen to play him again. But that's me. Other than turtling up and choosing a different deployment zone, is there anything you'd do differently? Anything that went well?

honestly nothing went well... I would take out the tacticals they were absolutely useless his purifiers cut them down to size and one of them ran off the board. I would pay minimal troops tax 5 scouts camo cloaks SRs. then throw in TH SS termies and plasma cannon devs and ML devs with flakk missles keep the knight but keep him in the back field instead of up front. maybe throw in another vindy or two. take out the DC they didnt do anything to his termies. but the chappy with valours edge killed 3? which was nice but i killed a total of 4 termies and one dreadknight the whole game. he was making almost all of his saves invuls and regular. I would throw in more bikes and kit them out all the way but the big thing was my knight exploding and killing 800 points of my army in one turn i need to spread him out. 

Couple of question: First off he DS his Stormraven? I didn't think that was still an option for Flyers. Second, how did he kill the knight? One Raven and a Dreadknight doesn't sound like enough firepower to get the job done if you point the Shield at the Raven. Other than that, he maxes out at Strength 10. I would keep the DC in, just make sure the squad has either a fist or hammer for every 5 guys you take, which should help you kill DK or terminators. Another option is, if you have Pods, to drop down next to whatever he drops on you and unload Meltafire into the Terminators as you should be able to get around Draigos invulnerable save. Vindicators in reserve should do well honestly.

no it wasnt turn 1 nothing came in on turn one it was turn two. and i didnt make any of my shield saves on my night multimelta missled and lascannoned was a pen -1 HP my knight multimelta was a pen and exploded result D3 roll I rolled a 6 so i lost -3+1 HP So my knight had 1 HP left and he psycannoned a glance biggrin.png . But yes that str 12 melee was BS i knew for a fact. then knight explodes magically on a glance im not sure if SH explode no matter what but... It killed my vindy and my entire bike squad

Sounds like a bad day matey, purifiers are awful with there cleansing flame in the psychic (9" bubble =/) and then flamers in the shooting its just meh. Even tho he had set up the terrain I am pretty sure the BRB says you are supposed to roll a d3 per tile for terrain pieces and set up accordingly, I learned this after playing a tau game with near no terrain. And if neither player can agree to the terrain and your playing in store the guy running the place could have set it up in a fair manner for you. THEN you roll for deployment so there should have been a 50/50 chance of being on either side of the board.... pretty sure its done this way to stop players gaining unfair advantages.

Also what is str12 it maxes at 10 no more....

And like said by others, its turn 1 reserve rolls with NSF on stuff with deep strike special rule. So deep strike reserves, pretty sure the Stormraven isnt included.

He cant really complain bout the Knight if he has two Dreadknights and two Stormravens oh and Draigo running around  with 10 termies and a libby. (gate of infinity as standard i think not sure tho, but he is deep striking every pyschic phase with that squad if he wants to.)

What points did you play coz he has a lot of high points cost stuff so far.

Also sorry you had a bad game, doesnt sound like he was fun to play against.

Peace

Couple of question: First off he DS his Stormraven? I didn't think that was still an option for Flyers. Second, how did he kill the knight? One Raven and a Dreadknight doesn't sound like enough firepower to get the job done if you point the Shield at the Raven. Other than that, he maxes out at Strength 10. I would keep the DC in, just make sure the squad has either a fist or hammer for every 5 guys you take, which should help you kill DK or terminators. Another option is, if you have Pods, to drop down next to whatever he drops on you and unload Meltafire into the Terminators as you should be able to get around Draigos invulnerable save. Vindicators in reserve should do well honestly.

By the sounds of it Draigo had a libby and 10 termies in the squad with him so even if your ignoring his 2+ his invulnerable is 3++ (buffable to 2++ with sanctuary btw) he has 10 guys to look out sir all with 5++ (again buffable by +1) plus the libby. This doesnt even take into consideration the possibilities of cover which sounded plentiful seeing as it was set up prior by the GK player.

Pretty sure this is a Draigo star.

Where they paladins or Termies with Draigo? As Paladins are 2 wounds each and I think have an apothecary with em granting FNP too. If they are paladins the 10 guys would cost 550 before any war gear and a further 20 to make an Apothecary plus Draigo and the Libby come in at 355 and that is again a bog standard libby no gear or mastery bump.

Seems like a hell of a lot of points in 1 unit, not alot left over for the 2 ravens 2 Dreadknights and purifiers.

Really curious as to the points you played. EDIT.... just read the army list on the other side 2050 was the limit...

Apologies for the second post might have been better to amend the last one ...... sad.png

Peace

By the sounds of it Draigo had a libby and 10 termies in the squad with him so even if your ignoring his 2+ his invulnerable is 3++ (buffable to 2++ with sanctuary btw) he has 10 guys to look out sir all with 5++ (again buffable by +1) plus the libby. This doesnt even take into consideration the possibilities of cover which sounded plentiful seeing as it was set up prior by the GK player.

Where they paladins or Termies with Draigo? As Paladins are 2 wounds each and I think have an apothecary with em granting FNP too. If they are paladins the 10 guys would cost 550 before any war gear and a further 20 to make an Apothecary plus Draigo and the Libby come in at 355 and that is again a bog standard libby no gear or mastery bump.

Seems like a hell of a lot of points in 1 unit, not alot left over for the 2 ravens 2 Dreadknights and purifiers.

Really curious as to the points you played. EDIT.... just read the army list on the other side 2050 was the limit...

Apologies for the second post might have been better to amend the last one ...... sad.png

Peace

it was just regular termies with draigo

Peace

it was just regular termies with draigo

Ah ok even then tho 330 points prior to wargear oh and i forgot draigo causes look out sir at 2+.

What i'm reading suggests that you got bum-rushed by someone cheating. you cant win if he's already rigged the deck against you. Offer him a same list rematch, let him try to rig the terrain and then when you get there play on a different board to the one he rigged... your knight does need to move forward, but only to within 12" of the relic- close enough that you threaten any unit he picks it up with but not so close that he can use the same unit to attack your knight and also guard any unit sent to pick up the relic.

Keep your head on straight, sounds like you used up the rest of the years bad luck too...

What i'm reading suggests that you got bum-rushed by someone cheating. you cant win if he's already rigged the deck against you. Offer him a same list rematch, let him try to rig the terrain and then when you get there play on a different board to the one he rigged... your knight does need to move forward, but only to within 12" of the relic- close enough that you threaten any unit he picks it up with but not so close that he can use the same unit to attack your knight and also guard any unit sent to pick up the relic.

Keep your head on straight, sounds like you used up the rest of the years bad luck too...

hopefully indeed i used all my bad luck but perhaps i will do what you suggest

Archived