Meltaguns & chainsword on same model?

Hi,

I'm about to get the new assault squad box and some meltagun bits.

Basically the tactic would be:

1) 5 assault marines (2 x meltaguns, no backpacks) + Free drop pod = cheap!

2) Drop them turn one near enemy vehicle

3) Shoot vehicle with meltaguns on same turn shooting phase

4) Hope they survive to charge into CC on your next turn 

That next turn the meltas won't get the additional attack due to not having a 2nd CC weapon.

Am I right in assuming you can't give the melta marine a chainsword too and treat the meltagun as a pistol? I've read people saying on this forum that they have a chainsword and metlagun on the same marine but it doesn't sound correct to me.

To compliment that tactic I'd have another drop pod with flamer tacticals.

You can give them an inferno pistol instead but they're more expensive with half the range. I use drop pod melts alot. I find two inferno pistol sarge plus two melta to be the best, its expensive but you have 4 shots and your likly to kill anything that's not too heavyily armoured. Use the standard marines as ablative wounds and then melts snipe special weapons or characters out of units or get other nearby vehicles. Plus there's nothing like rolling a couple of melta overwatch hits to have a 135 point unit ruin someone's day.

You can give them an inferno pistol instead but they're more expensive with half the range. I use drop pod melts alot. I find two inferno pistol sarge plus two melta to be the best, its expensive but you have 4 shots and your likly to kill anything that's not too heavyily armoured. Use the standard marines as ablative wounds and then melts snipe special weapons or characters out of units or get other nearby vehicles. Plus there's nothing like rolling a couple of melta overwatch hits to have a 135 point unit ruin someone's day.

Agreed.

Arguably the best possible loadout for these Melta-drop squads (often refered to as a "Meltacide Unit") is:

5 man squad with 2 Meltas and then either a Combi-Melta and Chainsword or a pair of Inferno Pistols.

Both work well, it's just down to points cost / persolan preference.

Really wish I had known this before building my Assault Marines as my Sgt's have powerswords and my group has a strict WYSIWYG rule.

Just dont expect the units to survive to turn 2, they are meant to drop turn 1, kill somthing big and then die as a distraction while your backfield units move closer unmolested.

Agreed.

Arguably the best possible loadout for these Melta-drop squads (often refered to as a "Meltacide Unit") is:

5 man squad with 2 Meltas and then either a Combi-Melta and Chainsword or a pair of Inferno Pistols.

Both work well, it's just down to points cost / persolan preference.

Really wish I had known this before building my Assault Marines as my Sgt's have powerswords and my group has a strict WYSIWYG rule.

Just dont expect the units to survive to turn 2, they are meant to drop turn 1, kill somthing big and then die as a distraction while your backfield units move closer unmolested.

this, but they're actually really effective unit if not dealt with and why I always stump for the inferno pistols. the extra shot has helped me finish off a vehicle so many times, or stick two pods down turn one and they can alpha an expensive unit off the board. 3 grav cents? 8 shots wounding on 2's and 2 wounding on 3's ( grenades,) now the survivability of your sanguinary guard went through the roof.

get assaulted on opponets turn 1? 4 melta overwatch plus an extra cc attack from 2 cc weapons on the sarge make them harder to shgift than you might think to no ap 3 shooting and cc. 

no vehicles? clear the path to that expensive character or heavy/special weapon and make him roll his invuns versus id ap1 attacks (T4 and lower ofc)

plus if your running a veritas warlord theres a decent chance these guys have night vision!

Archived