How am i doing

judojason

Some great advice already so all I can say is welcome to our dark little corner of the B&C. Your work looks great so far especially for a first try. I look forward to seeing more.

To major_gilbear simply liking your post does not seem sufficient please post more of your beautiful DA's for me to drool over

• 3 weeks later...

Well its taken me a while with an operation in between but i'm painting like mad now i have time off work :) i've tried to take on as much advice as i could and this is where i am with my first squad so far. 

C and C welcome as alwayshttp://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv70/judojason/20150621_165143.jpg

Thats such a terrific job! You truly wouldnt guess that was your first squad! Next you should think about the bases tho, a little dirt or anything on the base goes such a long way. Great job honestly tho and please keep em comin

Thank you for the kind comment. Basing is next on the list, I'm planning on Drybrushed grey cork, some sort of brown tint, sand to fill gaps then a clump of static grass. Just need to buy it all! Ravenwing are the next squad.

Wow!. Those are fantastic!..I'm just about to start painting my deathwing. A little apprehensive but lets see how it goes.

What base colour did you use for your marines..caliban green?...I've just finished my dreadnought which I base coated using army painter angel green which gave a really nice smooth finish.

I primed grey - just normal car primer as its half the price of games workshops offerings and seems to cover really smoothly (that and i dont have a gw store nearby so just winged it).

I painted them Caliban green as a base and bought up with several layers of warpstone glow. I used really thin paint and washes to get the colour to where i liked it - they were too bright before i think. I dont reckon the photos show them well but i'm really happy with the highlights, they were what i was most worried about before i started. 

I wouldnt have got them to this stage without the huge amount of tips and help from everyone on here so a huge thank you to all- i'll post them again when they're finished and properly based.

I've been painting minis for about 35 years, and you could paint mine for me if you wanted - your work is fantastic and far above what anyone would expect from a beginner.  Your painting is tidy and the highlighting is superb.  Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so i'm on to my second squad (ravenwing) now but before that, i fixed the lack of basing. 

I bought 5 ready made one from ebay to see if thats the route i wanted to go down, they arrived and they were great but i realised i could make my own almost the same

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv70/judojason/20150705_172450.jpg

What do you think?

Sorry for my double post, i didnt want to spam pics but here's my ravenwing - it still needs some tidying up, and i'll base them as soon as i get time. I'm having issues with the feathers, i've painted them grey, highlighted up with white and put a line of blue wash in the recesses but i think it still looks rubbish. 

Squad front

Squad above

Squad 1

sarge

Nice bases.  They did a pretty good job with them.  The only thing that stands out to me is the screw on the base in the top row second from the right.  Buy if you are building things like Imperial Knights or Titans, I believe that screws can come in that size.

A very clean looking Ravenwing Squad too!  Great work!

I bought 5 ready made one from ebay to see if thats the route i wanted to go down, they arrived and they were great but i realised i could make my own almost the same

What do you think?

I agree. The biggest reasons to buy resin bases though are:

1) Speed. If you have 100 models to base, it saves a lot of time if you don't have to make all those bases as well.

2) Consistency. Some people do struggle with the bigger bases or those for thier heroes.

3) Secure fixing. If you pin your models to their bases, the hollow nature of the plastic slottas makes it fiddly to get a good secure join. The resin bases, being solid, let you easily get a pin into them with enough depth for a secure glued join.

Personally, I make most of my own. It's a bit tedious, so I usually do them in batches of 10-30 in one go. My method is roughly detailed here. Sometimes, I use less lead to make the base lighter, and sometimes I drill out the bottom of the completed base and stick a magnet in (which is -was- great for games like Warhammer Fantasy to keep the models stuck to their movement tray as you push it around the table).

With regard to your Ravenwing, they look very neat! happy.png If you want a quick tip for the black, try this:

1) Over the black, give the paint a blue ink glaze. I think the GW wash is called Asurmen Blue or something similar. I use Vallejo Game Colour blue ink.

2) Mix 1:1 darkish blue with black, and add a tiny bit of white. This is your first highlight colour.

3) Add a touch more white to the mix in (2) for each successive highlight. Stop when you're happy.

What this does is make the black look richer. Without this blue tint, it can look a bit flat/dull. The tiny amount of blue in it also helps to tie the colour into the the greens and reds better as well.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your next progress! cool.png

Archived