Sammael on Speeder and Wounds Questions

Thank you Stobz. Can I make the squadron?

You're welcome; I don't think so as I'm pretty sure Sammy loses his IC status and acts purely as a vehicle unit type (no getting out, no striking from it etc.). Check the Sammy entry to confirm this. I'm at work.

Maybe he'll get Chariot rules in the new Dex (joking, that's very unlikely).

My question was if he could still use his weapons when he's on the speeder, because I think you only trade in the bike for the speeder.

^^^

It says trade corvex for sableclaw and change unit type to Fast, Skimmer. His entry is kind of a mess now that I look at it :S. Does he keep his wargear and special rules when swapping (keeps bolt pistol, sword, and teleport homer), or does he lose all of it and follows sableclaw's profile (losing inner circle, scout, and skilled rider)? Can he even be warlord if he's no longer a character?

He keeps his Raven Sword but the weapons on the bike gets switched out for the ones on the speeder.

Without the Codex and FAQ in front of me, Sammael was always that odd duck that couldn't join any unit, in either configuration.

When Sammael is on Sableclaw he loses all abilities he possesses and gains only Deep strike, RAW. Gaming groups and TO's might give some more leeway and still allow him his former special rules. My gaming group actually doesn't...

It's not a chariot or a transport so whether or not he keeps his weapons doesn't matter, he wouldn't be able to use them while on the speeder.  He becomes the speeder.  

So yes, when he blows up he's gone.

Also, as of right now you cannot join a vehicle squadron (a-la the Ravenwing Support Squadron).  Vehicles can't form squadron unless explicitly stated in their entry (they are purchased as such).

I've only ever used Sableclaw once (never in 7th edition) in a 1000 point game, it wasn't bad for that bracket of points.  In higher point games I would be wary to use him as there would be plenty of firepower on the field to pick him off, after all the main draw to him is the TL-AC which is in range of just about anything that's strong enough to kill him.

These days he's an independent character on his jetbike, but as a speeder that's a negative, on his own in all his 2hp glory.

It has the equivalent of 3 HP due to the 4++.  Don't knock the speeder... it is a lot harder to remove than you realize.  And if you design your list with the speeder in mind then it is a lot harder for your opponent to justify shooting at it.

The speeder is as hard to remove and as efficient at removing infantry as the top tier CC monsters.  He just does it in the shooting phase where you don’t get to swing back at him.

On his bike he has 3 wounds and can be hidden in a squad, and he still has that invulnerable save, and he can't be hit on a 3 by scouts trying to plant bombs on his bum. He can also stab them back. The difference in resilience is pretty phenomenal.

So your counting 300 additional points to achieve that phenomenal resilience. All of whom can be wounded by S3 weapons.

Well guess what I have those points to spend too, but let's come back to that.

My point was that the speeder requires a minimum S8 to even glance.

As for those scouts, they have to start a minimum of 18 inches from him, can't charge till turn 2, have to have LOS in order to charge and get no save from any of his shooting. If they get there, then one guy gets one chance to put one MB on him, and I still get my 4++. Good luck.

Your better bet is getting a DP near him and shooting him

I sat out all of 6th Ed. And I have only been playing 7th for about 3-4 months. Sammie speeder has not died yet.

In 4th and 5th I was playing about 2-3 games a week and the speeder only died 5 or 6 times.

The jet bike does not have anything closet to that resilience.

But you can't just swap out the jet bike for the speeder. I know first hand that the jet bike doesn't work with the rest of my list very well. It is really no different than trying to replace an assault squad with a predator

So when you commit to the Sammie speeder you make different choices in your army selection. And when you have a murder of speeders (read as 8-9 of them) it is extremely hard for your opponent to justify shooting at av14 & 4++ when they can shoot at av10.

And that is where his survivability outshines the jet bike. Your presenting a single high priority target. I am presenting 9 targets that are sweeping the board clean

Totally agree with ValourousHeart on this one, the speeder has never let me down, that 14 armour and fast movement usually means nobody gets too close to him to stuff grenades in his tailpipe.

Either way you take Sammael you have to base at least part of your list around him and both have different roles. Since I like speeder saturation like VH, Sableclaw works great for me.

Ive had Sammie on his jetbike and it was really fun to blast around the board and drop plasma cannon plates on unsuspecting squads. Its all about what your army is doing around him, any independent character can be removed with a few lucky shots.

Archived