Rejoining the Fight

Calistarius

Hey everyone! It has been an incredibly long time since I last visited B&C let alone made a post. I left the 40k and my Blood Angels behind many years ago when I started having less and less time for the hobby. I've decided to make time for it now and am making a come back.

I haven't played a match since 3rd edition. Needless to say I'm out of the loop. I've perused the changes to the rules and codex that have taken place. They seem pretty interesting and in depth. I also decided to start from the ground up and stripped all the paint from my minis. Looking through what I was able to find I have enough minis for a few small tac squads, a terminator squad, DC jump packs or rhino, and a regular furioso. I also have a spare rhino and razorback.

I need to get the codex and rulebook, paints, and bitz and upgrade kits to go with the new paint. I'm excited to be getting back into this, but I'm honestly unsure of where to even start. I don't have a time line for anything yet. I just wanted to say I'm glad to be back and would love any advice or input as to where I should start to get my Blood Angels back up to speed.

Huzzah! Welcome back brother! I think the best way is to start making a (small) army list of the things you have now and want to have. And just build your force on that. Then you can start out to assemble and paint the models. So lot's of codex reading and look for army lists and tips on these here forums :D

You're in good company. I just started coming back since 5th edition since May. I was a Grey Knights Player but the boys in red drew me over to the arms of the true sons of the Emperor. I'm still learning all these new rules. Bought the codex and the new rulebook along with a brand spanking new army that I am toiling over to get ready to play with others at Pax Prime. I lost everything in my move from Oregon to Kentucky so I didn't even have dice. Still I have people that I want to play with and there's a lot of good people here willing to help.  

Huzzah! Welcome back brother! I think the best way is to start making a (small) army list of the things you have now and want to have. And just build your force on that. Then you can start out to assemble and paint the models. So lot's of codex reading and look for army lists and tips on these here forums biggrin.png

I'm happy with some of the things I've seen about our BA on the forums. I'll be ordering the codex tonight and will probably just go from there. I'm in no rush at the moment since everyone I used to play with has stopped playing. Just really looking forward to getting the hobby going again and being back in the best 40k and BA community.

All good advice, and by the way- death company are definately back in the building!

Considering the Death Company are still one of my favorite aspects and units in the 40k universe I am glad to know this!

You're in good company. I just started coming back since 5th edition since May. I was a Grey Knights Player but the boys in red drew me over to the arms of the true sons of the Emperor. I'm still learning all these new rules. Bought the codex and the new rulebook along with a brand spanking new army that I am toiling over to get ready to play with others at Pax Prime. I lost everything in my move from Oregon to Kentucky so I didn't even have dice. Still I have people that I want to play with and there's a lot of good people here willing to help.

Well, welcome back! Seems that we are in the same boat. It has been nearly 11 years since my last time standing at the table top for a match. I have a lot of work and time ahead of me before I'll have an army worthy of being on the field again. Still, it is like it was for me when I first started playing. I have the same excitement for it again and honestly it is becoming somewhat of an obsession. Its good that you still have a good gaming community where you live.

Welcome back brother!

Codex aside, you already seem to have everything yoiu need to get started.

Why not paint up a few test minis and post some pics so you have a record as your army grows? 

The guys here in the BA forum are really supportive and helpful when it comes to army blogs. :)

Welcome back brother I too have been away for a while and I am having my first game of 7th tomorrow, although I'm probably cruising for a bruising I'll will let you know how it went and what I've learnt.

Mic:)

Thank you and good luck! I'd be interested to read how it goes for you!

Welcome back brother!

Codex aside, you already seem to have everything yoiu need to get started.

Why not paint up a few test minis and post some pics so you have a record as your army grows?

The guys here in the BA forum are really supportive and helpful when it comes to army blogs. smile.png

Thank you! I do have enough models to get a decent start. I think before I paint I will wind up ordering the new upgrade kit and a few sprues worth of bits. I really like the look of the new BA models and I don't get the same feeling when I see my old 2nd and 3rd edition minis. I will definitely post up pictures once I start painting again. After I work the kinks out of course.

If you buy 1-2 of the new upgrade kits, a box of the new tacticals, and a Deatrh Company kit you will have more than enough spare bits to upgrade / re-purpose all your existing models.

The thing that drew me to BA over the other chapters is how well the kits we get can be swapped and customerised. 

Just this weekend I built a whole load of stuff, a new Captain, an assault Sgt, a squad of tac marines, a squad of Vanguard Vets and a Bike Priest just using the left over parts in my bits box combined with an upgrade sprue and a box of  tac marines.

Check out the blog in my sig for pics. :)

That's excellent news! Once the codex I ordered gets here I will Be able to decide where to go next. I definitely need to get a box of tac and dc minis. The list I used to run was predominantly ran by a chaplain or a terminator force commander. Figuring out my options for a good hq will be fun.

I also really like the look of the new models. I've always liked the robes on the DA models. I like these versions for ours a lot better. Gives them an aesthetically appealing look.

A Chaplin leading a Death Company themed list is extreamly viable in the current edition.

There is also a formation that lets you take 1 HQ in terminator armour and up to (I think) 10 units of Terminators / Assault Terminators.

Sounds like you can jump right in useing the models you like and be able to hold your own on the tabletop too. :)

Archived