Librarian Dread Tactics

rezin70

What's your opinions on Librarian Dreads?  I just got my first one and dont quite know how to best use him. 

I was thinking since he's a character to attach him to a DC squad or something.  Not sure which spells I would use.  Any advice.  I really dont have much psyker experience.  What are the most useful spells to us?

You can't attach him to a unit. I have tried him 4 games with 7th codex, 3 of them in a Raven. I think he is great for the points, but i would keep him at the barebone 150. If i take him i'll usually include Dante and a Raven. Dante gives the flyer reserve re-rolls so turn 3 you go in to hover and assault. Turn 3 charge is not ideal, but it will be hard for opponent to avoid him. One of his greatest assets is being able to challenge units with really tough beatsticks, or killing MC's with force.

If i'm facing a lot of AA i'll run him towards the board center preferably at an objective. It's not ideal, but thats why i keep him at base cost. Consider the extra armor upgrade for Raven (5points i think) so you can avoid stunned and locked velocity while in the air.

The BA primaris is great for the Libby Dread, other spells are kinda hit and miss. The fear one can be nice. The main ones i use is primaris or force for MC's. The BA traits actually fit well with him, but he does usually die during a game and you want the Dante trait if you brought him.

So i guess the rulebook says vehicle characters cant attach to units?  Must have missed it :/

I can see him being glanced to death before I get to use him, I play against Necrons and IG often.  Thanks for the tips on the spells, He seems like if he gets in there and gets to fight, then he's gonna get some kills, but getting him into the fight seems to be the problem....

I've had some good luck running him out of a raven with BA powers. I usually upgrade to ML2 and heavy flamer, to give him a little extra utility against hordes, but that's secondary to the MC-hunting role he usually takes.

You can also run him up the field, either with BA powers (hoping for wings so that you can reposition other troops) or with Divination to pass around prescience and generally secure your back lines. Against necrons that probably won't work too well, though, since he'll get glanced to death easily.

Raven is pretty much the best way to go. Find your opponents nastiest unit incapable of hurting AV13 (so S8 or less really) and go to town! Works great challenging units because you get to fight the challenge but only the challenged gets to fight you back (...I think?)

Raven is pretty much the best way to go. Find your opponents nastiest unit incapable of hurting AV13 (so S8 or less really) and go to town! Works great challenging units because you get to fight the challenge but only the challenged gets to fight you back (...I think?)

Or a drop pod, depending on the terrain.

It was like that in 6th, but in 7th, if only one model is in the combat, all other models can attack that one.

So meph+squad in challenge with other squad - enemy squad have to prioritise attacks onto enemy rank and file, when they are all dead, their attacks can then go ontothe challenger.

As the libby dread is a single model, all the enemy can always attack him, even in a challenge, unless you put another unit in with it.

I've heard of people having better than expected luck running him as a warlord since the BA traits work well with him. I imagine you'd want a lot more close support for that route, but that impressive sob will be able to unleash a lot of hell combined with Sang powers. Quickening with i5/rampage/mc force halberd. Even the less punchy ones are OK for getting that support close and keeping it close. You lose out on taking advantage of vv, but that rule of cool...

Archived