Unbound Questions

Brother Cyrrus

OK, I have been away from the hobby for a long time. I'm more of a collector than a player so this "unbound" thing sounds good to me....but I haven't read the rule directly. I don't have the newest rulebooks. I think my last SM Dex was 4th edition, where they had the traits rules? Anyway, my question for unbound is basically this; I can field a "blood angels" force and have it composed of just librarians with termie assault guards and sanguinary guard and an inquisitor with retinue? That would be a legal force, even if its not very effective? Am I understanding that right? Or again, I could field a custom chapter with units from BA, SW, IF, and DA and it would be an unbound force? Am I understanding the basics of this rule?

unbound is any combination of units from any combi ation of armies. One character must be designated the HQ, if no character is available, a vehicle may be designated. units still interact according to their allied levels.

so yes, you could have 2000 points of marine librarians and nothing else if that was your inclination. or an inquisitor as the HQ for an assembly of tau, Orks, and Eldar troops. or whatever you fancy.

And by extension, if I understand the battle group organization or whatever it's called, the same "any army" rule goes but you are now confined to a redux on the force organization chart...so a core of space marines and a detachment of eldar is possible, but with certain limitations.

Also, as far as weapons, using a conversion piece as a "counts as" is probably up to the players as whether or not iits acceptable? Like fielding termies with spears and storm shields to count as thunder hammers as far as rules?

And by extension, if I understand the battle group organization or whatever it's called, the same "any army" rule goes but you are now confined to a redux on the force organization chart...so a core of space marines and a detachment of eldar is possible, but with certain limitations.

Yup as of 7th Edition any combination is possible, even something as nonsensical as Daemons and Greys Knights. You can also have any number of different detachments (of the same and different factions).For example you could start with a Nemesis Strike Force (GK only detachment in C:GK) and add a Combined Arms Detachment of Eldar and finish with an Adeptus Astartes Stormwing formation if points allow. This would even be a battle-forged army.

If you do go unbound you do not get regular detachments (e.g. NSF, CAD) but you can still have formations (e.g. Stormwing) and get those benefits.

Also, as far as weapons, using a conversion piece as a "counts as" is probably up to the players as whether or not iits acceptable? Like fielding termies with spears and storm shields to count as thunder hammers as far as rules?

Yup such replacements are up to the players, but I doubt many people would object to them as long as they are consistent and the one doing the counts-as informs the other player in advance. Just don't do something like "well this spear is a thunder hammer, and this identically looking spear is a regular CCW and that one over there is a power maul."

Archived