Making a turn 3 list.

Remtek

Now that Eldar, Necrons and Skitarii are shifting up the meta and damage output is going up in general i have been trying to make some new non-ally list. Last game i ran 30 knife/pistol combat squadded scouts in a CAD. They performed over expectancy due to strong assaults turn 3-4-5 using the Outflank and Infiltrate. I tried running half of them with camo cloaks (the ones that infiltrated) and using go to ground for a 2+ cover. While this delayed their charges, eventually when outflanks and assault units started moving up, many scouts got a free pass turn 2 and 3 due to other targets being focused. 

There are so many different lists you can face, so planning for everything is hard or close too impossible, but the idea is only deploying scouts with camo cloaks and going to ground turn 1.

This should speed up the game which is advantagous for less powerful lists that include objective secured and also gives you more options as most of the army is 'deploying' turn 2. Deploying/deepstriking your assault units and Stormravens at the same also helps as you have a pretty good shooting phase turn 2 before assault units can be shot at. And if the lists you are facing lack anti air you can deploy some of your scouts inside the flyer.

With Dante being solid overall and giving re-serve manipulation for Flyers/JP and Jump packs scattering less, coming in turn 2 should be quite reliable.

I'm 100% sure what to include yet, but the idea of a core would be something like this:

Dante

2 Stormravens

30 Scouts

Libby Dread

3 5man DC units

Pros:

Most armies wont be able to kill anything turn 1, giving a good chanse at first blood

Can always 'deploy' after opponent

Delaying your turn 2 charge until turn 3 which is good for assault units in Stormraven, giving more synergi.

Stormravens are good vs av10/11 flyers.

Infiltrate and Outflank makes your list very flexible.

You always have the option of starting on the table. 

Eldar specifc:

If you go second Wraithguard will have horrible d-scythe targets.

Wraithknight will be less effective

Jetbikes will have to jink before they have any good targets

Jetbikes will need to flatout away from Stormraven turn 3 to avoid charges

Necron:

Decurion will not have obsec and you will never wipe them anyways in game. Delaying as much as possible will give you a better shot at holding objectives.

Libby Dread is good vs Wraiths point for point.

I'm sure there are tons of drawbacks, it's much easier to play a few games and see how it goes. Would anyone change the core? I'm not sure if it's better to replace Stormravens with something else. 5man DC with a fist have been working out great, so i'm planning on keeping them. Maybe replacing one of the DC for a command squad so Dante will get FNP? I really want to make a deep strike list work, and starting everything on the table and going second can be so devestating vs Eldar.

Drawback: If you play maelstrom and your opponent has 3 turns to grab objectives, you will have a very hard time coming back :/

If you play eternal war though, this type of army is very interesting ;) cc scouts are quite good in our codex, they deal a ton of damage.

Similar lines of thinking to my own recently. I'm beginning to love cc scouts and Ravens.

The raven x 3 formation is powerful imo. It can deep strike combat squads to claim objectives. Assault vehicle means that if we can keep the Ravens alive, things like dc dreads can get the charge they want.

With cc scouts, the heavy bolter and hellfire makes it harder for the opponent to realise their purpose. And gives us flexibility - can sit back and pepper the opponent.

Using pods makes it more difficult. Whatever comes down t1 will be outnumbered, and either a sitting duck or out of position. But, this can be mitigated with cheap units inside (read meltacide squads).

I think k the Ravens with combat squads dropping out may be a game winner against resilient armies. Fly on, fly off, t5 ((go last if you can) drop out onto objectives, denting the en a chance to kill them. Especially good if the unit inside has obsec.

What is the attraction to the Libby dread?

Only tried it 4 games, but it has been so valuable as it can deal with so many problem targets. The main issue i have is turn 3 is kinda late, but if i can delay everything one turn it will make it more effective. Only one dread though as i don't want to be forced to hover with both Ravens. 

Archived