Astorath

Brother Raul

Ok Brothers, I am after your collective experiences with Astorath, specifically with DC. I am kinda of inclined to believe that he is best with a large group of death company to maximise your reroll capacity e.g 10-15. I guess he is a major investment in an even bigger investment of a hammer unit. I am thinking they'd draw too much fire as your probably best to start them on the table. What are your thoughts/ collective experiences?

Kinda want to run him in a strikeforce mortalis but think the formation is best run with small units as rampage lite won't proc with large units. AND he'd negate crusader (?). I would consider taking x2 large and small (the chappy tax from the formation HAS to go somewhere after all!) but he might be best left out and the chappy used on a sangstar (sanguinary guard x10 plus SP) or with sanguinary guard while a minimal x8 van vets with SP for redundancy (x2 big hammers & x3 minis). Emperor guide you!

Astorath is a beast. I (almost) always field him, especially with DC.

On his own, he can dish out damage. His axe looks deadly, and is deadly. With 3 attacks base with Zealot and ID on a six, he can be pretty handy. Unfortunately of course this is all at Initiative 1. He's pretty durable too, with a 2+/4++ save and three Wounds, though he needs to be kept away from ID stuff (easier said than done nowadays...).

He really comes into his own when combined with DC, unsurprisingly. Reroll EVERYTHING on the charge is incredible, especially with special weapons in there. Zealot is also useful here, but normal Chaplains do this to. However, as DC have no sergeants etc. Astorath can be vulnerable to big challenges which you can't avoid.

As you said, blobs of DC with Astorath can be a fire magnet. But using JP to hug cover (and subsequently pop out) combined with FnP should keep them alive to still batter stuff. Remember, 10 DC can have up to 50 attacks on the charge, with rerolls for everything due to Astorath. It doesn't matter if you lose one or two. All while distracting fire from the rest of the army.

I have only run DC once without Astorath recently, and I was very disappointed. But with him, they really can munch through anything you throw them at. A unit that I really want to try out is 15 DC with Astorath and a Libby with Divination or something, then just point them at the enemy and let them do what they do best: :cuss stuff up!

Archived