Stormravens: worth it?

Indefragable

So I am pretty late to this party but I just found out about the Angel's Fury Spearhead and Dante's Avenging Host Formations (I have only ever used Baal Strike Force). Feel free to comment on the effectiveness (I am looking to win matches but necessarily tournaments) of each formation but my big question is

How good are Stormravens?

I have one that I have not really gotten to use too much so investing in 2 more would be a big step for me in terms of both finances and play-style.

I know the simple answer is that the Stormraven is the ONLY anti-air that is organic to the BA Codex, so they kinda have to be good. I know they are also "flying Landraiders" with all that infers both good and bad.

But if you were to rely on 3 of them, especially without taking any Fast Tanks, what are the downsides?

To me, the Angel's Fury especially seems to be the perfect combo of Fluff and Crunch: the BA staying air-mobile, using the Stormravens simultaneously for air superiority, heavy-hitting close-air support, and transport (both insert and extract). Combine that with a "real" Descent of Angels where you can Charge after DS...sounds awesome!

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Downsides is that they are expensive. If you take three, that chicnks considerable amount of points. While they are reliably good dealing enemy air units, Eldar's and SM's and Necron's can spam cheaper flyers that can wrecks raven fast. Especially Eldar Crimson Hunter's especially if taken than 3 unit formation is pretty much night mare if they can ( which they 90% of time can even in half  competent player ) shoot our raven first. With rules of re-roll hits, and glancing and penetrating hits with their str 8 ap 2 weapons they really can bring hurt on Ravens.

I still consider Storm Raven as one of corner stone units that is key for many lists but taking two is stretching it and three... It just gets so many points that you better play 2000+ point games.

Angel's fury is, luckily a Formation so it can be run even if you run predators, Baals or devastators separately from CAD. But still price for 3 Storm Ravens is huge and then you need troops for them. If you got money and you play big games, I'd say go for it. If you mainly play 1850P or below games, 3 StormRaven's intend to chuck too much in points leaving you vulnerable on "ground" level.

Downsides is that they are expensive. If you take three, that chicnks considerable amount of points. While they are reliably good dealing enemy air units, Eldar's and SM's and Necron's can spam cheaper flyers that can wrecks raven fast. Especially Eldar Crimson Hunter's especially if taken than 3 unit formation is pretty much night mare if they can ( which they 90% of time can even in half competent player ) shoot our raven first. With rules of re-roll hits, and glancing and penetrating hits with their str 8 ap 2 weapons they really can bring hurt on Ravens.

I still consider Storm Raven as one of corner stone units that is key for many lists but taking two is stretching it and three... It just gets so many points that you better play 2000+ point games.

Angel's fury is, luckily a Formation so it can be run even if you run predators, Baals or devastators separately from CAD. But still price for 3 Storm Ravens is huge and then you need troops for them. If you got money and you play big games, I'd say go for it. If you mainly play 1850P or below games, 3 StormRaven's intend to chuck too much in points leaving you vulnerable on "ground" level.

Thank you for the feedback and analysis. Sounds like Eldar Crimson Hunter is a bit of a Rock to our Scissors...if all BA get (organically) for anti-air is Stormravens, and CH wreck SR...we have lost the air.

Overall, though, how would it be relying on 3x SR for serious firepower while filling say the other 850pts (assuming a 2000pt game) with Jump Troops that can Charge immediately after the DS?

Archived