Dark Angels Limited Edition

Let us get a small discussion about the upcoming LE for those who can not decide whether that is worth it (including myself).

Lets look at what we get:

For 130€ or you regional equivalent you get

• A carrying case

• The codex with custom cover

• Psychic Cards and Maelstrom Objectives

• Objective Markers

• Cypher Dataslate with 36 pages

The alternative would be

• 46€ for a Codex

• 10€ for the Datacards

So basically you have a difference of 74€, for which you get custom looks, a case, the Dataslate (which might be a new one or the old one) and badass markers.

On a final note, the book and cards will be out of date at some point while the rest of the items are timeless.

So, do you think it is worth it?

The fact that the Dark Angels can't even use Cypher, sort of defeats the purpose of including the dataslate; however, It would mostly depend on whether you need a carrying case, whether you think it's worth it.

The fact that the Dark Angels can't even use Cypher, sort of defeats the purpose of including the dataslate; however, It would mostly depend on whether you need a carrying case, whether you think it's worth it.

That is the reason why I think that it might be something new.

The fact that the Dark Angels can't even use Cypher, sort of defeats the purpose of including the dataslate; however, It would mostly depend on whether you need a carrying case, whether you think it's worth it.

That is the reason why I think that it might be something new.

Yea the ability to let us take cypher would be monumentally powerful, or being able to force opponents to take him as part their army and granting us benefits. That would be fantastic.

Cypher is still a dark angel after all, I'm thinking he will probably operate in a lord of war slot.

About the Cypher discussion - try doing a search on here.  Probably half a year ago GW updated the Digital Dataslate to state that Cypher could be taken in an Unbound Dark Angels Army.  There are a few threads on it but you can read the entry for yourself.

Concerning the LE Codex it's almost 160  here.  

I think of the models I can get for 160 USD including a soon to be released $31 Int Chaplain and I really want to build an Imperial Knight...

Decisions...

edit: added link for cypher faction DA update. 

So, do you think it is worth it?

Isn't there an 'art' book in there too? Or did that turn out to be the Cypher dataslate?

But whatever, in financial terms not worth it.

However, for the completionist DA collector it might be a different story. GW know this which is why they charge the earth for them. It's called niche marketing - and over the years they have got better at it.

But I shan't be indulging I'm afraid <_<.

Cheers

I

For those of you who already bought Limited edition codices that get the tokens and what not, how do you like them? I am thinking of trying to get the Dark Angel limited edition book but trying to justify the price. The only limited edition codex I bought was the Tyranids. All that is was an alternative cover. Now limited edition codices have extra goodies in them now. 

So are you happy with your purchases of Limited edition codex/codices? If so why? If not, why not?

Since I don't play no more but might start again, but mainly collect I am not sure what everything does in the limited editions now.

So can someone please explain to me exactly what we are getting and what I can use these for? 

I guess I am trying to justify the purchase. Even more I need to try and justify the wifey for the purchase. So I need to make sure I know what I am getting and why I need it. :P

Probably worthwhile checking this thread out mate, since it's the exact discussion you're after on the merits of the LE codex. No one should have their codex yet (pre-orders don't even officially go on sale until 20 June with anticipated delivery of 27th June). The thread I mention has the assumed contents of the LE package, but I'd also suggest a cursory scan of the threads already in place for pics of contents.

If people had their codexes there'd be rules leaks and discussions everywhere and I don't imagine LE discussion would be getting much air time.

My first love was Dark Angels. Yet, somewhere along the way, they broke my heart.

With the new releases, if I sit quietly... I can... almost... hear them calling...

The LE Reclusiam edition is very tempting. Having purchased the AdMech LE's, I liked the metal markers, cards, etc. The boxes are durable, not that I would throw them around recklessly.

The LE Reclusiam is almost a better buy, i.e. the codex is larger than either of the AdMechs, a 36-page dataslate of Cypher (and being able to use him with a DA 'unbound' force, if it's just the old slate ad not something new...

Honestly, the one thing that puts me off is the word 'Unforgiven' on the codex. The AdMech LE's had their respective symbols embossed with no cover title. I like that.

The worn DA sword and wing symbol... why does it have to be 'worn'? Okay, for 'atmosphere'. And 'yellow'? Why not white?! I could accept the red trimmed pages against the green cover if the symbol was at least in white. Gold like the box cover would have been better. And a blue book ribbon? Agh, it kills me.

This is a 'collector's' edition. A real piece of art for a devoted fan/hobbyist/warrior. It's a superfluous purchase that doesn't need to be made but should really be wanted to be made.

I was committing myself to doing only one army full steam ahead. If any army could change my course, it is Dark Angels.

This is tempting me... but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, June 18, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, June 18, 2015 - No reason given

I already posted in the other thread like this one, but I'll see if I can add to it...

I recently purchased the Adeptus Mechanicus LE's for Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus. I like them both. The boxes are subtle yet stylish, no GW blurbs or overdone writing. The seals of both factions are in gold on the box cover and Martian seals on the reverse side. The unique cards... would I use them? For the mechanicus-style trimming, yes. The metal objective markers are solid and very usable. The poster/artwork in both are very fine and will be hanging in my gameroom when I secure decent frames for them both.

Sorry, if I digress abit on the AdMech.

The LE Reclusiam is almost a better purchase. The Dark Angel codex is larger than either of the AdMech books, plus there is a 36-page dataslate of Cypher (and being able to use him with a DA 'unbound' force is heretical and tempting - even if ithe dataslate is just the old slate and not something new...

Honestly, one of the things that is putting me off is the glaring yellow word 'Unforgiven' on the codex cover. The AdMech LE's had their respective symbols embossed with no cover title. It was strong and subtle. I like that.

The 'time-worn' Dark Angel sword and wing symbol... why does it have to be 'worn'? Okay, I suppose for 'atmosphere'.

But... 'yellow'? Why not white?! I could even accept the red trimmed pages against the green cover (Christmas colouring aside) if the chapter symbol was at least in white. Even gold like it is on the box cover would have been a better choice.

And a blue book ribbon? Don't try and give me any of that 'Librarium' stylish nonsense either. Agh, it kills me.

Black with the classic red symbol, 1st legion style could have been nice too. But a yellow symbol and 'unforgiven' written on the cover? The symbol sells it so much better alone. Green, yellow, red, blue... am I being too picky? The green is almost 'Salamander'... a Calabanite darker green would be...

...but it doesn't matter. It is done. It will be ready and waiting. Unchangeable.

This is a 'collector's' edition. A real piece of art for the devoted fan/hobbyist/warrior.

Yes, it can be considered a superfluous purchase that doesn't really need to be made, but it should really be influential looking as to make it strongly wanted to be made.

I have been committing myself to the goal of doing only one army, full steam ahead. If any army could change my current course, it is the Dark Angels.

This is tempting me... but I'm not sure if it's enough.

For the strong-hearted Dark Angel, it is a perfectly good purchase for what you will get.

It's beautifully presented (though I'm not fond of the color of the cloth cover) and would surely be a coveted volume.  But I cannot justify the expense.

Here in the States, it's $165.  I can only order it through GW, whereas I can get the regular Codex plus  the Datacards for $58 with my discount at my FLGS.  

There are a lot of benefits to that besides the price - I'm supporting the hobby locally and keeping the money in the community, I don't have to wait days after release for my book to come in the mail, and all that extra money could buy me another couple of squads for my army.

If GW didn't churn out new books every 2-3 years and render the old ones obsolete, I would eagerly seek out Limited Editions for all my armies.  But the prices we pay for the "regular" books are steep enough, given their short life span.  Sadly, the collectible value of these limited volumes is low - witness all the people who were offloading their 6th Edition LEs for less than the price of the regular volume.

I think Ulf hit the nail on the head. If that book would not be obsolete in a few years time, I would get it, seeing as the extra expenses are meaningless in the long-run. However, I can not stomach buying something that I know will just gather dust all the time.

Do you think a LE without the coins would sell on eBay? Even if it will be a whack below original value.

Actually the only thing I would love to get ARE the coins :lol:

As for the Cypher booklet. Don't expect something original allowing you to play him with DA. Like I've said in the rumours topic, the WD contains an advertising suggesting to download the dataslate on the black library website.

Yeah, that makes sense. Well, there goes that incentive. God damn it, why must the coins be so good. Oh well, maybe there is a way to make a commission at some metalworks or similar to get similar ones. Either way, if not for the coins, I would have said 'no' right away. Are coins worth it in the long-run? No. Not at that cost. Better commission custom ones.

Archived