Interesting Knights of Blood Image in C:SM...

Candleshoes

Looked and didn't find anyone who brought this up with the BA board yet, but in the supplement in the new Space Marine Codex, the chapel book with successors, there is the following image:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p113/Darkbeastman/gallery_39941_11034_510486_zpsvhkah5yw.jpg

I see a different name... slightley different symbol and scheme... but then they put the actual symbol in the corner... what gives?

Thoughts? Why is a known BA successor included in the SM codex?

Love the scheme though.

Maybe ... perhaps after the chapter was declared traitor and excommunicated, the High Lords had another chapter created?

This time of a different geneseed? Or perhaps still the same? No proof, but an interesting discussion none the less.

I used to believe the same, that things like this are oversights, pure and simple.

I'm now of the opinion that these occurrences are deliberate on GW's part, to unspokenly continue the general "Chapters often change names or die off and are recreated, Imperial records are crap, much is unknown/unclear/purposely recorded inaccurately for X secret reason" atmosphere that has been developed. Over the decades there have simply been too many of these sorts of scenarios with successor Chapter (and even more significant Chapters, occasionally) details being mixed up, changed slightly, given altered names or colours or home worlds, etc etc.

GW have said time and again they want the players to use the creative space they've purposely left open to enjoy the hobby and make it our own - I don't think it's ever been explicitly stated, but I believe these occurences to be a purposely manufactured state of affairs to help support this.

+edit+

Just going through a few of the successor pictures available from the book that have been posted on the forum here, we can already see a handful of inconsistencies right off the bat, and I'm catching even more as I go along. There's no way the editing and fact-checking could be poor enough to screw up so many details over so many years.

Agreed Draakur.

Take for example the 2nd founding Imperial Fist Chapter the Excoriators. High brow, with their own Space Marine Battles novel - lots of fluff and background, traditionally cream coloured/unrepaired armour, with a crimson fist holding a lightning bolt.

In this edition, they are now sporting a hideos quartered scheme of tangerine and lime.

As you mentioned, this is one of MANY changes, that make me believe they are deliberate, rather than just overlooks.

If they are deliberate, the better question is... why? Why change the Excoriators, or why add so much confusion with a rogue like blood angel successor... in the vanilla codex of all places?

The symbol on the space marine's pauldron isn't the same as the symbol on the one in the top right of the image at all, so, uhh. Those are much better looking swords, though, I always hated the (hard to see) ones in the KoB heraldry with their weird backswept crossguards, flat pommels and thin, blunt-looking blades. These I like, and being on a white field actually makes them visible.

I'll take them.

(Hell if I'm changing armour colour to red, though. That's for you popular successors the Imperium likes, who get to be in the codex. tongue.png)

e; they also look way too much like Carmine Blades, but w/e

Archived