Veteran Squad Markings

Rikkumon

Hi All,

What markings do Veteran Squads have on their shoulder pads? Would it be the number of the squad they were recruited from? Or something special?

My Veteran squad at the moment are marked <1> - my intention was to have them as the first and another as the second tactical squads for a company, however with the leaked Demi Company formation (which I hope is accurate because it is pretty much what I play) I want to change it so I can free up <1> for an actual tac squad.

Thanks in advanced,

Rikku

IIRC, and it's been a bit since I've been able to have my Codex in hand, Company Vets don't actually have their own markings, because they are drawn up from the ranks of the Company into an ad hoc formation to deal with specific occurrences, so the squads aren't normally truly present in the Company. They could be sergeants or simply line battle brothers who have distinguished themselves in service.

Now, if you wanted to give them a designator when they are set up in that ad hoc formation, then that's cool, the Company's artificers simply adjusted their markings to show that they are different, or maybe they are allowed to wear some personal heraldry to show that they are set apart or something. They do not have any defined squad markings in the C:DA though.

I use the red skulls that stand for Command squad because thats what command squads are made up of and it lets me move them around and try new weapon combinations.  Also because the FW sheet has a load of red skulls...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN0012.jpg

The Vet Squad box supplies sword pads for them, HERE.

This is further substantiated in this week's White Dwarf, which explicitly states that this is the pad Veterans wear instead of the standard DA emblem.

This is further substantiated in this week's White Dwarf, which explicitly states that this is the pad Veterans wear instead of the standard DA emblem.

This feels like revisionist history to cover their censored.gif for not having wings on them but whatever...

Yeah, that's not the situation at all, regardless of what WD says... After all, why would they have "Veteran Chapter Markings" that are standard DA emblem (which can't be for DW or RW, since they don't wear the standard markings) with some extras if the Veterans were only supposed to wear a single sword.

How silly they try to cover up that mistake.

Yeah, that's not the situation at all, regardless of what WD says... After all, why would they have "Veteran Chapter Markings" that are standard DA emblem (which can't be for DW or RW, since they don't wear the standard markings) with some extras if the Veterans were only supposed to wear a single sword.

How silly they try to cover up that mistake.

New Ed., new fluff. I recall reading the plain swords were fpr Co. Vets somewhere when the set upgrade frame was first released way back.

Cheers,

Jono

Yeah, the Veteran Chapter Markings are from the NEW transfer sheet for the DA though. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the pads with just the sword, since I use that for my Chapter symbol, but I've never read in any 'Dex that stated the single sword was the Company Vet marking, as a point, didn't the previous Codex basically say "they don't use any extra bling to denote their status"?

Hey all,

@Grotsmasha: I did not know that... I thought they were half sculpted chapter symbols - which is how I used them:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/rikkuman/VetSquad.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/rikkuman/VetSarge.jpg

@ Brother Dean: I really like the skull idea! Thanks.

@Bryan Blaire: I also like the personal heraldry.

I think I may mix the skull/ personal/ sword idea. But first I need to get my army shipped from the UK to Hong Kong... which may take a while.

Thanks again for the info!

Rikku

I'd go very light on the personal heraldry, just an additional symbol or two, something like that, set them apart in a very basic way. They are Company Vets, not Company Masters or even Deathwing, they've simply been marked out as a bit better than their fellows and used to do "odd jobs" that don't warrant DW or RW focus.

The way i do my marking for Vet Squads is to have the Sword shoulder pad on the left side, free hand wings there (i did it horribadly though :D) and uses either a covered shoulder pad on the right (the one with the cloth or whatnot) or the studded shoulder pad, so i don't have to worry about squad marking. But if we go by fluff, it makes sense to actually uses a normal company squad marking, and you can do it with random squad number marking too in one squad to emphasize the idea that those vets are ad hocly built from the cream of the crop guys of the company. 

My 2 cents.

In my DA army i worked on the idea that CoVets are not drawn from other squads but are like BK for RW and DWK for DW a real separate entity that can give veteran sergeants to the other squads...

So my CoVets have only the pads in the box without any squad marking...

Rikkumon, before you do something that complex, just make sure you want to repeatedly paint it on as many Marines as you need to. That seems like a pretty elaborate freehand and you don't want to burn yourself out before you get finished with all the Marines.

It is nice iconography though!

Archived