So what are Dark Angels like?

XstaSea

Hey so I'm pretty new to the hobbie, currently play grey Knights because I love terminators so I thought dark Angels would be good because they can also field lots of terminators. I also love the look of the black bike squadrons, not too big of a fan of the green colour tho but Mabey I can make it very very dark green to suite my own tastes. But as the new codex is coming out I was just wondering what Dark Angels are like to play as an army. I love there 'outsider' story as well seems solid.

Dark Angels have three general builds:

Deathwing - The entire first company (which is probably overstrength) is all terminators.  This is probably what you are looking for. This is an elite, small model count army.

Ravenwing - The entire second company (which is also probably overstrength) is all bikes and landspeeders.  This is your maneuver army.

Greenwing - The rest of the chapter is very similar to Codex chapters and plays similar to how they play, or at least it would if we had all the toys they have.

you can also combine these elements.  The DW and the RW in particular are supposed to work well together. 

I've seen Dark Angels done in very Dark Green with lighter green highlights and it looks very good imo.

The questions about colour schemes have been pretty well answered and hopefully that is what you're looking for. On top of that I would add that the background for the Unforgiven Chapters allows you to dial up the gothic aspects on your models. So pauldrons, heraldry and ornate, gothic-style armour work well (think medieval plate mail armour and you'r ein the right ball-park). Then you have the monkish robes to add and it cna give you some nice options.

I also wouldn't dismiss the dark green scheme - done well it can look really effective and the dark colour is quite forgiving of mistakes.

Hey so I'm pretty new to the hobbie, currently play grey Knights because I love terminators so I thought dark Angels would be good because they can also field lots of terminators. I also love the look of the black bike squadrons, not too big of a fan of the green colour tho but Mabey I can make it very very dark green to suite my own tastes. But as the new codex is coming out I was just wondering what Dark Angels are like to play as an army. I love there 'outsider' story as well seems solid.

Dark Angels have three general builds:

Deathwing - The entire first company (which is probably overstrength) is all terminators.  This is probably what you are looking for. This is an elite, small model count army.

Ravenwing - The entire second company (which is also probably overstrength) is all bikes and landspeeders.  This is your maneuver army.

Greenwing - The rest of the chapter is very similar to Codex chapters and plays similar to how they play, or at least it would if we had all the toys they have.

you can also combine these elements.  The DW and the RW in particular are supposed to work well together. 

I've seen Dark Angels done in very Dark Green with lighter green highlights and it looks very good imo.

The questions about colour schemes have been pretty well answered and hopefully that is what you're looking for. On top of that I would add that the background for the Unforgiven Chapters allows you to dial up the gothic aspects on your models. So pauldrons, heraldry and ornate, gothic-style armour work well (think medieval plate mail armour and you'r ein the right ball-park). Then you have the monkish robes to add and it cna give you some nice options.

I also wouldn't dismiss the dark green scheme - done well it can look really effective and the dark colour is quite forgiving of mistakes.

Well you have some really good answers right here. If you're looking for more of a philosiphical / tactical perspective then here's my take. 

Tactical - Dark angels have a long been a slightly underpowered and unforgiving codex to play, so if your looking to play 40k on hard mode they are a good bet, that being said I'm skeptically optimistic they could be improved slightly by the time the next codex rolls in. If some of the space marine formations roll into our codex then perhaps all will be forgiven. We will see how all this changes.

Philosopical - Dark angel are the classic example of good intentions can make for bad policy. They are ruthless and singleminded in the pursuit of their goal, but they can have motives of their own to further their own chapter based ambitions. that said they are entirely dedicated to the defense of the imperium and the justice of the emperor. in this way they are similar to many other chapters. they are distinct in the sense that part of their chapter is dedicated to hunting traitorous former brothers from the time of luther's heresy. they also seem to operate as a Legion in terms of their sucessor chapters following the dictates of the the supreme Dark Angel master, coordinating goals, infomation, and movements

“We were the First Legion, Brother Sapphon. Consider for that moment what that means. We had to do everything. We fought fleet actions and planetary assaults, razed fortresses and captured whole worlds. We were both the hammer and the anvil, the bait and the trap. We brought death from afar and slaughter at close hand. We acted and others followed.”

-Merir Astelan from Master of Sanctity”

Archived