I want two Tycho formations

tjr

I started playing Warhammer again this fall after a ~15 year hiatus. Back then I simply loved Tycho. He's super fluffy and really just was Mr. BA (at least to my mind) way back when. Unfortunately I see simply no reason to field him, with his current codex entry.The advent of the new marine codex and it's formations got me thinking.

Number 1

This is the unit I would image Tycho to be a part of, during Armageddon II. The Captain and five shooty veterans in a Razorback. Razorback has the las/plas because it's 1) Awesome, 2) Synergizes well with 'Fast' vehicle type, 3) Was the load out on the old Razorback kit.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L86aDs2-Cbg/UVCWuqcfdzI/AAAAAAAAGkE/l4ehn76i_X0/s1600/Ultramarine_Razorback.gif

• Captain Tycho
  • 5 Sternguard
  • Fast Las/Plas-Razorback (Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade, Hunter Killer Missile, Extra Armor)

• Tycho gets Special Issue Ammunition
  • Every Sternguard must have either a Combi-Flamer or -Melta
  • Sternguard Sgt. must have a Power Fist
  • Entire unit gets Relentless
  • Sternguard unit that are part of Tychos detachment get Objective Secured

This unit is 430 point. Are the added special rules enough to justify the cost? If not, how many points should this formation be for you to field it? I think it needs to be at least 80 points cheaper (= free combi weapons and useless vehicle upgrades). I'm actually thinking something along the lines of 300-330.

Number 2

I image that Tychos unit also fell to the black rage. Their Razorback has been modify to accommodate their blood lust.

• Tycho the Lost
  • 5 Death company
  • Fast Las/Plas-Razorback (Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade, Hunter Killer Missile, Extra Armor)

• Death Company has 1 power fist
  • Razorback counts as open topped

This 355 without the vehicle upgrades. Would it be too much, if they still had the combi weapons? Would it be less "too much" if the Razorback counted as an assault vehicle and not open topped?

Anyway, just some rambling on a Friday night. It's been a very long week and for some reason I'm sitting here watching Fifty Shades of Grey with the GF, so I might as well do some typing smile.png

Why did you pick a Smurf Razorback?

Re: Number 1

Relentless and ObSec seems a bit much. what about the Razorback? does it get ObSec too?

No unit can be part of more than one formation.

Re: Number 2

Why open-topped? Did the frothing madman rip the doors off? I don't think a single assault razorback would be too powerful.

1 PF in a 5 man DC squad is hardly a restriction. Maybe add that all must have boltguns.

Why did you pick a Smurf Razorback?

Re: Number 1

Relentless and ObSec seems a bit much. what about the Razorback? does it get ObSec too?

No unit can be part of more than one formation.

Re: Number 2

Why open-topped? Did the frothing madman rip the doors off? I don't think a single assault razorback would be too powerful.

1 PF in a 5 man DC squad is hardly a restriction. Maybe add that all must have boltguns.

1) Couldn't find a picture of the old Razorback in proper colors.

2) I would rather loose ObSec than Relentless. The ObSec rule is copied form Pedro Cantor. For ease of ruling, since it's a formation, I'd say that the Razorback also has ObSec.

3) Right, makes sense.

1) What I wanted is the unit to be able to charge out of the transport. Having it open-topped was mostly a nerf, so it would be easier to blow up (not that 11/11/10 is terribly rugged as is). It would however also allow the unit to shoot out of it.

2) I know. I just want a PFist in there :-)

1) What I wanted is the unit to be able to charge out of the transport. Having it open-topped was mostly a nerf, so it would be easier to blow up (not that 11/11/10 is terribly rugged as is). It would however also allow the unit to shoot out of it.

That way you could make a fast melta/plasma tank with extremely short range. I think assault vehicle would be more fitting. or if you would want to make the formation more silly, roll a d6 and add the game turn number to the result. on a 5+ (adjust the number as you see fit) the DC rip the roof off and the razorback gains open-topped.

All squads get a free transport.

All vehicles in the army become fast (including land raiders)

What transports are free? 11 fast land raiders for free would be a bit much.

power armour in BA armies can no longer select land raiders as transports, that went away this edition :/

Of course they can. You buy one in  the HS slot and put a squad into it.They cannot select them as dedicated transports. Your post only said free transports.

Your post also did not mention how the 100 marines have to be organized. 20 5 man squads with free razorbacks would be according to your rules.

Of course they can. You buy one in  the HS slot and put a squad into it.They cannot select them as dedicated transports. Your post only said free transports.

Your post also did not mention how the 100 marines have to be organized. 20 5 man squads with free razorbacks would be according to your rules.

Meh. I thought calling it a 'battle company' would indicate what models would be in the formation, and how they were organised.

Anyway, the ideas were spitballed, and obviously not thought well enough through. When suggesting new stuff, my mind doesn't immediately go to how it can be abused by a player base!

Updates to our battle company formation would be nice.

Archived