Iron Lions: Project Log!

Lemainus

Maybe, you're right, in that he looks like he's more a space marine entering a walker, but that isn't how I'd like him to play out. What would you suggest, to give him a more obvious Dreadnaught feel?

I've been busy at work and haven't really made much progress at all, save for some additional planning and building out the foundations of his plasma-cannon arm.

I personally prefer a more obvious "Dreadnought feel" for Dreadnoughts, but if you want this to remain ambiguous- that you haven't made a decision on the vehicle type, or that, in fluff, Maalik wants to maintain the illusion he's a living Marine instead of an entombed ancient- that's up to you.

• 1 month later...

Back after a long hiatus - work has been crazy, and my front facing camera has decided that it doesn't want to work. For any reason. Ever again.

I did finish up a Christmas present I received, though, and my girlfriend let me borrow her iPhone to snap a few pictures. 

Lord Consecrator Ashavan, the head Chaplain of the Iron Lions.

Ashavan has a theological theme to it, meaning literally "possessing truth and righteousness" in Zoroastrian tradition... so here it's adapted. He carries the Light of the Emperor into the darkness of the galaxy, forging the path for his battle brothers with fire and zeal. Ashavan was not his name before he assumed the role - he is not the first Ashavan, nor will he be the last. 

"We are all Ashavan, Brothers."

Lord Consecrator Ashavan (2)

"THOUGH WE ARE MANY, WE ARE ONE."

"We all share a common purpose."

Lord Consecrator Ashavan (5)

"FIGHT. KILL. PURGE. OBEY."

"Will you teach the Galaxy for which you were forged - by both words and example - the things you understand?"

Lord Consecrator Ashavan (4)

"WITH BOLTERFIRE, WE WILL TEACH."

"Will you kill in all forms the Evils in this place, chasing them through the breach as far as you are able, with the help of the Masters and the Emperor?"

"WITH GLADNESS, WE WILL KILL."

"Will you stand fast against the Warp-spawn, the demon, the heretic, and purge them from all worlds?"

"WITH FURY, WE WILL PURGE."

"Obey the Masters - Obey the Rites."

"IF THEY BE WORTHY AND JUST, WE SHALL OBEY."

"Iron Lions Never Die."

"IRON LIONS NEVER DIE."

Lord Consecrator Ashavan (3)

Thanks! I saw this model drop and knew I had to paint him. I don't run Blood Angels, but I sincerely enjoy the bone and sinew look of the power armor. This sculpt is a blast - if anyone has been on the fence, grab it and paint it!

I'm off all day tomorrow, so hopefully I can slam out a few of the terminators I basecoated like 21309 years ago!

zxy, thanks for the likes! I really appreciate the compliments and feedback. Bjorn, when I get the legs for Maalik, I'd like to get your take on how to make it obvious that he is, indeed, a Dreadnaught and not a piloted frame.

I use Army Painter stuff, so it might be a little different when you replicate... but here it is:

Prime flat white

Basecoat of 1:1 olive drab and greenskin 

layer of greenskin (Caliban Green, I suppose?)

2:1 greenskin and daemonic yellow (Dorn Yellow, I think?)

1:1 greenskin and daemonic yellow

2:1 greenskin and matte white for raised surface highlights

1:1 greenskin and matte white for edge highlighting

Aggressive wash with 2:1 Green Tone and Soft Tone 

spot wash on recesses and darkened areas with soft or dark tone, depending

Generally the color is extremely exaggerated until the washes hit - the brown tones really mute the palette and keep it from being way over the top.

If anyone knows the GW equivalents of Green Wash and Soft Wash, that'd probably help out a little. 

• 1 month later...

***+++INCOMING TRANSMISSION

+++++TRANSMITTED: =++REDACTED++=

+++++RECEIVED: BATTLE BARGE 'PERDITION'S SPEAR'

+-------ASTROPATH DUCT: LEXICANUM =++REDACTED++=

{}--------REF: 92374592374||:IL 00=++REDACTED++=

++:authenticating code...

...Authenticated. Iron Lions Primarus LII43=++REDACTED++=194.

(+++:-AUTHOR: =++REDACTED++=

SUBJECT: <<none>>

...ERROR. Data corrupted. Decryption incomplete.

<{--  I have 01110011 01100101 01100101 01101110  the End #f this.:;'|>

:*[ He *%01101000 01100001 01110011 given that 01110100 01101111  me. =}}_

*-||  This 01110000 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100101 01110100 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100  crumble. ##is system will quake. >/

`//{ I 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010 01100100 the #creams of the billionstrong masses. #hey ring in my ear# ###ll. I #ust silence them.}]|;

*****<<::-The Galaxy wi## burn, Br#thers. ##w it will burn. -::>*****

_+|\\_All the 01110010 01110101 01101100 01100101 01110011. All the suffering. #ll the bloated scrying of the Im##rium - the War, the Hate, the Honor and Glory - it 01101001 01110011 a lie... and i# ## for nothing. You will #ever 01110011 01100001 01110110 01100101 ###s place. Ever##hing burns. Lies. ##l lies. _=}}...

<<<<<<::|I must silence 01110100 01101000 01100101 01101101.||}}=:>>>>>>

<:{|##lten Brass will swallow the galaxy, #n time. ###od begetting Blood, #ntil He swings his sword, and bri##s about the heat-death of all there is. ]+--......

*{}-#ut you will never see it. I'm coming to quiet 01110100 01101000 01100101 screams. Theirs. Yours. {//:>

*{- During Rit#s, w# #lways finished 01110111 01101001 01110100 01101000 ,"##on Lions Never Die."----}]

<:=|| But we ##ow better. We know. \\/:>

<<||.... We kn#w.//}+_

*::Ye#::}

<:_--|| Yes they do.||...*#

:++\| message ended

Edited by Lemainus

Long ago, he faced down heaving droves of demons. He held them back for so long that his greatshield was charred black by the fiery blades of the Great Enemy's Hordes. So great was his holding action, that he earned Terminator Honors, and was dubbed "The Wall." For centuries, he was the one that held the line. He commanded. He fought. He won.

Raime (2)

But the long wars subjected him to days of the taint of Chaos - and after the battle whence he was last seen so long ago had been had been won, he stood there, in the pass that he held so stalwartly, staring into the abyss.

I know not why. Nor do I know what he saw.

But he and a few of his squad members took up their arms again, plunging into the obliterated crag whence the tear in realspace had been hewn. Back to the cultist temple hidden within the depths, where the Daemons had first been summoned to this world.

Raime (3)

We investigated the site when he did not reemerge for the next day's Rites... and there was nothing. No temple. No bodies. Nothing.

What did he find, to set him on the warpath?

Raime. What happened to you?

So as I assemble my little band of Fallen as an excuse to dabble in writing up some fluff, I confess:

I have no idea what color scheme they should have.

These Fallen are not all so very old as to warrant the Heresy Era blackness... and even if they were, they'd be hard to tell apart. The Iron Lions are charcoal black with green helms, so there'd be very little to distinguish the traitors easily that way.

All I know is I really want to keep featuring the "copper penny" kind of metallics I have, and have that constant between the forces echo their correlation to one another.

What do ya'll think?

Edited by Lemainus

Iron Lions Never Die.  True, Brother.

One of the Pillars of our Chapter. One of the most important, it could be argued. Aye. Could be argued.   Nonsense.

Those that ran - those that followed after The Wall, through the caves to I know not what... amongst them was the Epistolary do not call me that from Second Company. It's been near a century since last I saw the man so much more, but today, so much more!! on the field, we met again.

This is no Warband fresh from the Eye. No confederacy of traitors from across the galaxy, come calling to raid, beat, and burn.

They are our own Brothers. We haven't been Brothers in ages.

The Epistolary Stop. Calling. Me. That. - if you could still call him that  you cannot. - knew of the Ashes. Our ashes. Of our ways. The old ways. Of the Souls that linger in the dust, broken, hollow, and writhing and how they carry us to war.  You drag them forth as I do, with Ritual and Rite. Hypocrite. Idiot. Uninitiated. Pedant. Fool. Aye, he knew.   of course I knew.

I have seen the truth in our Rites. I have seen them ripped from our gauntlets by foul sorcery, forced to obey in death. As they have always been.

I broke rank to chase the spectre of the Remembered  the Used! that was torn from me  FREED - and I saw them. I saw them all. Not nearly all of us. No.

The souls he stole from the ashes swirled around him, betrayed, furious, broken. Horrified and shrieking. He fell upon the scouts, first - an incorporeal hurricane.  I just gave them form.

::{ I also saw the Epistolary.}::

Aye, Sabrathan - what of it?

::{Though he is strong, his magicks show weakness. Saw ye not the torrents of blood, how the initiates were ripped asunder?::||> Everyone saw.

I saw. Everyone.

<<{|| Not one speck of blood did stain his cursed armor. There were a weaving - ensorcelment - twisting the blood and mud around him. Not a drop. Our new enemy is a vain one. Proud. Arrogant.}}}.>

I am the Gilded. I am the gifted. The special one. The one given keys. Secrets. So many secrets... but you have none from me. No. Speak, and I will Listen. Speak and I can Hear.  I will eat your dreams and thoughts. There will be no mark on me even as I wade through the sea of your corpses.

We have seen the pages. Seen our names. Your names. Their names. Everyone's names. 

The Book.

We're all damned, all doomed, all cursed.

I have known Pride. I have known Arrogance and Power. I have felt the swell of honor from battle - and I have felt the sting of those battles ringing hollow in the ears of an uncaring universe. 

Our names were in the book - just like everyone else.

Of all the things I've felt... all that's left, after centuries of war across star systems too numerous to count... the only thing that remains

is Malice.

Raime Progress (2)

Raime Progress (1)

The Terminators are (mostly) finished - I need to get with a friend at the hobby space to get some assistance with the banner. I've always been :cuss with banners.

1st Company Squad Nuriel (5)

1st Company Squad Nuriel (4)

1st Company Squad Nuriel (3)

1st Company Squad Nuriel (2)

1st Company Squad Nuriel (1)

Squad Nuriel, in keeping with my angelic name theme, is equipped with some heavy dakka - storm bolters and an assault cannon - because Nuriel was the patron angel of hailstorms. Hails of bullets. Hail. I'm really a daft :cuss, I think, but I quite enjoy it. :]

I'm glad you like him! I've been wanting an excuse to use the spirit box, and the sorcerer of the Fallen from my chapter seemed like an obvious choice. 

I'll take some close ups of him once the detailing on his armor is done - he's only about 30% there right now. 

• 1 month later...

The Gilded (6)

The Imperium. Xenos. The Dark Space beyond the last arm of our galaxy. 

The Gilded (5)

Chaos. The Cults. The Gods. You.

The Gilded (4)

Everything. Everything is destined for fire and silence.

Ye the Guilty - 

Thou Art Mine.

Also, the Iron Lions Land Raider is finished up as well as it's gonna get, I think, so here she is, too:

IMG 20160515 131109

IMG 20160515 131005

IMG 20160515 130941

Does anyone know a source for ultra-ultra fine tip metallic markers? Like, say, the MicroPerm 05, but in brass or gold? I've been looking all over the place and they don't seem to exist. :\

• 2 weeks later...

It's a joke. This place. These wars. Your god. Their gods.

Rip And Tear (4)

Laugh or cry. Love or hate. Order or Chaos.

Rip And Tear (3)

Everything burns.

Rip And Tear (2)

Rip and Tear.

Rip And Tear (1)

We have seen the pages. Seen our names. Your names. Their names. Everyone's names. 

The Book.

We're all damned, all doomed, all cursed.

I have known Pride. I have known Arrogance and Power. I have felt the swell of honor from battle - and I have felt the sting of those battles ringing hollow in the ears of an uncaring universe. 

Our names were in the book - just like everyone else.

Of all the things I've felt... all that's left, after centuries of war across star systems too numerous to count... the only thing that remains

is Malice.

Malice/Malal? Oh :censored:!

Will your former Epistolary count Sons of Malice among his battle-brothers?