The Sons of Penance - An IF Successor WIP

So a few years ago I tried to get back into the hobby but failed, mainly due to having no one else in the area who was into it. However things have changed and I now have a couple of friends who, like me, were fans in their youth and are now returning. This combined with a new codex that stoked the fires of enthusiasm and I have now returned to my Son of Penance, my silent seekers of atonement and enacted some of the ideas I had for the army last time.

The next few pics are of the forces that I had last time and haven't really touched since then.

gallery_44175_9411_63296.jpg

My converted DV librarian

gallery_44175_9411_79315.jpg

Sergeant (With DA hooded helm), Chainfist Termi (God I love that model) and a rank and file brother

gallery_44175_9411_1422.jpg

My (appalling painted) chapter badge

gallery_44175_9411_4378.jpg

An example of the scripture my marines write upon themselves (This marines favours his right hand side... I wonder why...)

Hope you guys like - This squad is aaalmost finished bar a few details and I hope to base them soon... once I figure out the best way of doing it!

As well as the models above I did have a large selection of parts... that all came from a vanguard box. The problem with centering your army around a black torso with bone limbs is that... well.. basecoating and construction are often a pain in the backside!

Suffice to say that three days ago these guys were sitting in parts, but now I've finally put them together!

gallery_44175_9411_24797.jpg

gallery_44175_9411_14570.jpg

The squad as it stands! I went with black legs as well for the veterans to help them stand out a bit (plus I LOVE the look Raven Guard vets have so shamlessly stole that).

gallery_44175_9411_13222.jpg

gallery_44175_9411_24564.jpg

My favourite guy out of the lot. Mr Hammer Time! I'm very happy with the sense of motion I managed to get with this fig

gallery_44175_9411_220877.jpg

So because of the lightning claw hands I had no idea how to make these look good... until I watched an episode of Naruto. Queue ninja running arms!

Nice painting. In general, the DA models, scripture and colour scheme are actually more representative of a Dark Angels successor - you may want to consider doing something to more overtly link them to their Fist heritage.

A good start smile.png

I appreciate they don't shout Fists successor, but I'm hoping to do that more through the fluff than being too overt with the models. The chapter has a definitive theme that I'll go into in the Liber :)

So the above will be the makings of my Captain/Chapter Master Cyren. Whilst I would love to do a mini inspired by the amazing picture Greyall did for me (see Avatar) I don't think I quite have the modelling talent yet, so this will have to do:

gallery_44175_9411_60878.jpg

Yeah I'm trying to explain away all the swords as they are from the company whose captain won the Feast of Blades one time, so they honour his accomplishment with them :)

I would have neutralised them a bit more if I trusted myself not to decimate the model! That's the main thing that's holding me back from doing some big conversions...

I feel your pain there bro, lol.

If youve got a steady-ish hand and a hobby knife, it isnt too hard to scrape all the evil off. I've done it with the Dark Vengeance set and the Space Hulk termies.

You can cover it up sometimes too, with purity seals and etc.

2 DA bikes, turned clean.

gallery_58164_5494_88611.jpg

One BA Term, one DA Term, turned towards the light.

gallery_58164_5494_749354.jpg

They look good anyway, and if you can fluff explain it away, then even better. I leave the odd DA sword on my guys. A sword is a pretty universal symbol. I just take the winged ones off.

Yeah maybe I should clip their wings. I wanted the mouthless skull chapter symbol (that's what that rough paint blob is folks!) to have wings because... well everything looks better with wings tongue.png so I just scraped the sword off their shoulders, but I guess the other swords can leave theirs behind!

So I made a wet palette today and OH MY GOD WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS EARLIER?! A nicely thinned batch batch of Ceramite white lasted about an hour and a half, whereas before my paints would become hard to use after about 20 minutes (thanks, Mr ridiculously warm anglepoise lamp).

Spent this evening whiting out the lighter parts of my vanguard vets and new tac squad (no pictures as it's nothing exciting) but hopefully once I get the chests done I can start assembling the tacs for easier painting :)

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while since I uploaded anything, but never fear, progress has been made!

So with no further ado:

gallery_44175_9411_195948.jpg

Tacticals are going well - Just need to attach and paint the shoulder pads, do highlights and final highlights on the upper body bone (yay for my new purchase of screaming skull) and then base them. Speaking of bases!

gallery_44175_9411_41034.jpg

Nice bit of fake pavement made from some sprue and green stuff, topped with agrellan earth and then primed, painted and drybrushed. Pretty happy with the results, though I might put a yellow line across the drain to add a bit of colour! I was going to go with a snowy city theme so I have some Mourn Mountain Snow and snow flock but am going to experiment a bit on some old 25mm bases I have lying around now :)

Also, if any of you saw my other post in the General PCA section about whether a kheres assault cannon fits a Mk4 dreadnought arm and wondered the same, this may be of interest to you!

gallery_44175_9411_32217.jpg

So unfortunately the arm I bought from ebay had the arm glued into it, so some judicious clipper work was required! Once I'd taken the insert off I had to pad it out with some green stuff to make sure the contemptor's shoulder mount would fit.

gallery_44175_9411_42530.jpg

As I thought, it was just the right size biggrin.png Very happy with how it fit. The below show the cannon in place and how the original arm will fit on with, hopefully, some magnetic wizardry.

gallery_44175_9411_72301.jpg

gallery_44175_9411_72301.jpg

gallery_44175_9411_231960.jpg

gallery_44175_9411_96660.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought - I was inspired by, and I forget the name of who did them, some Scythes of the Emperor marines I saw on here that had a great Mk4 Ironclad in it. Loved the model since I saw that and think it does a much better job than the standard GW ones :)

So annoyingly the chaos black spray I had rendered my dread's torso unpaintable. It was like trying to paint on grease proof paper :/ just resprayed it corax white and will try again! In other news I'm really happy with the legs so far (will add a pic to this post when I get home!)

Archived