The Sons of Penance - An IF Successor WIP

So I ordered some bits of Ebay ready for my multi-chapter command squad to take shape!

gallery_44175_9411_149558.jpg

First we have an Imperial Fist - I dub him Siege McTankhammer

gallery_44175_9411_204501.jpg

gallery_44175_9411_160062.jpg

and what is likely to be a Crimson Fist (on the left - though still open to change at this point) along with my own chapter's 3rd company standard bearer.

gallery_44175_9411_81665.jpg

If there's one thing I've realised working with the new kits before this one, is that I really appreciate quite how nice they are. I was pretty disappointed with the command squad kit. Both the quality of the casts and the feel of the plastic is a bit.. ugh. Lots of slipped halves but eh, there we go...

And every command squad needs a champion don't they? So what better champion could you want than one made of ZEAL

gallery_44175_9411_119618.jpg

I'm currently fiddling with the shield that comes with the command squad kit to give him his combat shield.

I'm also working on my devastator squad, and so far I've made up the sergeant.

gallery_44175_9411_130818.jpg

Suitably siege breaker-ish I think :)

Cheers! I'm pretty happy with it - Really simple as well. Just Flash Gitz Yellow with Aggrax washed over and some rhinos hide sponged on areas of wear and then aggrax'd again. Trying to keep him away from the banana side of the yellow continuum and more towards the war-torn and grizzled end :)

• 3 months later...

I'm not dead! and Neither are the Sons! I've just been having an extended break from the hobby doing other bits and pieces, but now the Calth set is here I've been finally working on it to create some Sternguard for my sons and make myself a fitting Chapter master.

med_gallery_44175_9411_21571.jpg

med_gallery_44175_9411_26354.jpg

med_gallery_44175_9411_9143.jpg

And lastly, a simple headswap on Garro for a slightly more menacing look

med_gallery_44175_9411_32273.jpg

The Garro figure is simply outstanding. The detail is SO crisp and I had almost no issues with the cast (only the leather fronds at the front are a bit delicate and the shoulder pads are attached to the sprue at a stupid place). Can't wait to get paint on it :D

• 4 weeks later...

Some more sternguard are up and running:

med_gallery_44175_9411_122911.jpg

And I hacked up some special weapons from the command squad sprue to make the following...

med_gallery_44175_9411_138613.jpg

Yes... the humble handless bolter lives on!

I also made this motley crew up whilst in the van waiting for my girlfriend to run a marathon (Don't worry, she's run 38 of them, I didn't have to be out supporting :P)

med_gallery_44175_9411_462651.jpg

These guys will be straight up Imperial Fists :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got round to priming and getting the first colours on the Imperial Fists

gallery_44175_11659_681670.jpg

I LOVE Averland Sunset :D Shame they look a bit tatty now they have the black on them... :(

I've also now run out of Corax White spray... so that's put a bit of a delay on things!

hah I like that you made the Celestial Lion an Apothecary. Well played.

Also on that command set, keep in mind it's not really... new, that's one of the older SM plastic boxes still around. It's one of my favorites though as there are a lot of good bitz in there.

Yeah I know it's getting a bit long in the tooth but I just wasn't expecting the plastic to feel so different under the knife, y'know :)

Still, making some progress. Probably getting a bit ahead of myself starting on the fists when I still have the devastators and command squad to finish though lol

• 1 month later...

Wooo another long break heralds some more content :D

Seeing as I can't stand the plastic scouts and I've always loved the look of the Tempestus Scions, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. Behold the lowly bolter scout!

med_gallery_44175_9411_1055.jpg

I have two squads of these guys planned, one bolters and one snipers, with an ML and heavy bolter :) This is so I can run a shadowstrike kill team (with either 2x5 VVs or 1x10 as i just bought another squad of them too)

Thanks :) It's mostly just cutting down the hotshot lasgun (taking of the cables, the extended barrel and the scope), then very carefully cutting off the barrel from half of the BaC Cataphracti terminator twin-linked bolters and sticking it on. Then I file down where the hotshot cable feed went in and stick on an Anvil Industries box mag :)

Archived