Ravenwing Black Knights vs Ravenwing Bikes

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303857-rumours-dark-angels-2015-codex-leaks-pg-62/?p=4097955

In english - "or deployed as normal'" - this means you can use flyers without forcing everything into reserve.  If you choose to deploy some units to start the game however your not guaranteed the turn 2 reserves showing up.

Don't forget the start of the sentence "ALL of the units" (slighty different than any unit), and the name of the special rule "stike as one".

It means to me that either you deploy all your formation as one, or you keep all your formation in reserve as one. So if an element is forced to start in reserve then all the army is forced as well

Flyer reserves are not really the topic here, guys ;)

To come back to the bikes, one thing that has not really been mentioned is survivability. BK have a 3+ rerollable, even 2+ with a Dark Shroud nearby. If they jink, they still have twin linked and superb melee to make up for it. Regular bikes do not have that luxury.

They have more attacks and at higher strength with rending, but they have the same melee survivability as a regular biker, RWAS have a 4+ reroll able cover save, boosted to 3+ with dark shroud. Sammael should always be with a RWAS to give them his skilled rider which makes their survivability equal.

With the benefit of the formation, jinking won't cause snapshots for the initial round, which gives your army amazing survivability to deliver a hell of an alpha. Which should eliminate a majority of the threats that would force a jink.

This is all assuming of course that we get a cover save. The only times my ravenwing would lose is to hell drakes, wave serpents, or psyker enhanced ignores cover. Now scythe guard are a concern for me in my local area

Yup but on the other side, bikes have more range hence it may preserve themselves from jinking and therefore use their shooting ability at full potential.

That's actually an issue I often have with BK : the threat they represent is so big that the enemy tries to shoot at them as soon as he can... So finally, I rarely use the plasma talons at full potential... Though I pay for them.

It appears to me that I use them on first turn if I outflank, then I pass the entire game jinking or charging..

Archived