Land Speeder Load Outs

SprinkKnoT

With the new Support Squadron What do you guys think is the best loadouts for the different squadrons?

I was thinking

Heavy Bolter + Missle Launcher Land Speeders with a LSV w/ a Heavy Bolter

Heavy Bolter + Heavy Flamer Land Speeders with a Darkshroud w/ a Heavy Bolter

Heavy Bolter + Multi-melta Land Speeders with a Darkshroud w/ a Heavy Bolter

Multi-Melta + Heavy Flamer Land Speeders with a Darkshroud w/ a Heavy Bolter

I think taking Multi-meltas with the Darkshroud is risky since they aren't useful for overwatch and the squadron will probably be jinking a lot. While the Heavy Flamers will at least be good overwatch for your Bike squad you're sitting behind. Perhaps just single Heavy Bolters on the Land Speeders.

What do you guys think?

I am a fan of HB/TML with the LSV. In a full unit, that's 18 heavy bolter and 10 missile shots plus the plasma storm for interceptor action (all of this also let's it serve as a de facto AA unit, particularly if you prescience first).

With the dark shroud, I like dual HB. Nothing like 33 heavy bolter shots in a full unit at BS 5 vs ground units. Plus it's the cheapest setup for the full support squadron with max number of weapons.

I don't like heavy flamers since they can't fire after jink. And believe me, we'll be junking a lot just because people will be afraid of the firepower.

HB/AC is interesting as well, but too expensive vs. Dual HB IMO.

Twin MM plus a vengeance is cool for creating a 24" anti-vehicle intercept bubble. But when compared to TML, it loses because of the range factor, versatility and extra firepower of the HB.

I like TML and MM.  That gives me 3 Str 8 shots if I really need something dead and I'm willing to risk the speeder.  You can also hang back and fire the TML at max range.  I like the idea of 2 HBs, but I've never run them.

Another problem with Heavy Flamers is that you really don't want to be that close to anything

I agree with MM/TML, if run with a shroud, I'd go assault cannon as S6 rending has more synergy with the S8 than the heavy bolter. Also, if you are going to get that close, you are going to need to jink afterward. It's more pricey than most other options though.

If you run it with a LSV with assault cannon, that's a lot of Anti-vehicle firepower, but they'll be even more expensive and more fragile. But man, a full squad would be 18 S8, 3 S7 and 4 S6 shots. Not bad at all.

Man, all this speeder talk has me itching to do an all speeder army. Sable Claw plus 2 landspeeder squadrons would meet the RWSF requirements. Then you run nothing but RWSS with the rest of your points. So much speed and firepower!

I HB/ML would be my choice as I feel adding an MM just starts to get too expensive for one unit, especially if you are running 5 of them.

I think the HB/HB would be an awesome loadout for the Ravenwing Attack Squadron to have a really good chance to score a hit on a squad to give everything +1BS against the target even if jinking.

I need to buy more speeders!

The big thing here is interceptor and to make max use of it then load up with HB & Typhoons

The sort of thing that is going to blight our day is Deep Striking stuff such as a couple of SM Dreadnaughts some Purifiers in a Drop Pod Farsight with his blob of Ignores cover Spam, HellDrakes, Terminators, Grav Centurions in a Drop Pod etc

For the 1st time I really feel like I can justify the Vengance with its triple plasma cannon or 1 massive blast

At just over 300ish for the formation sounds tempting to take 2 especially given what the new SM dex can dish out.

Dark shroud + Bolters tho would be my alternate or additional loadout

Just a note on this you can only intercept you can only intercept using 1 weapon (per Vehicle that is) and as speeders have 2 then the alternate weapon can fire during the shooting Phase

Too me the main thing is the shrouded from the dark shroud, if one model has the rule it confers it to the whole unit. Same with stealth, typhoons and heavy bolter speeders parked in ruins with a 2+ cover, never needing to jink, pew pewing away

...........pew

Speaking of all these load outs, where do you guys get the weapons for the models, the regular speeder (even the new one) only comes with an assault cannon and heavy flamer chin weapons. I have all my weapons magnetized but for now just run HB/AC for max dakka. Adds up in points though. 

I mentioned this elsewhere, but two squadrons working in tandem would be really good.

Squadron #1: Darkshroud, and 3 speeders each with two heavy bolters. Super cheap, and lays down 21 heavy bolter shots per turn.

Squadron #2: Vengeance and 3 speeders each with typhoon launcher and multi-melta. Sorta pricey, but that's a lot of heavy firepower, and there is no flier that will not be wary of an Interceptor unit that can put out 6 krak missles and 3 plasma shots.

Keep the members of squadron two within shrouding distance of the Darkshroud, and have some fun! Also, they all gain the Strafing Run rule, so... "When shooting Assault, Heavy, Rapid Fire or Salvo weapons at Artillery, Beasts, Bikes, Cavalry, Infantry, Monstrous Creatures and vehicles without the Flyer or Skimmer type, this vehicle has + 1 Ballistic Skill." drool.gif

People are going to outright hate you if you field a whole army composed solely of these formations. laugh.png

I have 7 Land Speeders (Not quite sure how I acquired so many) that will be put to good use. Will probably buy a Darksroud/Vengeance/both for some Speeder shenanigans.

Right now I am looked mainly at offensive setup with shorter ranged and darkshroud for protection and Longer ranged with Typhoon and Vengeance standing off at 36" and letting it rip.

Speaking of all these load outs, where do you guys get the weapons for the models, the regular speeder (even the new one) only comes with an assault cannon and heavy flamer chin weapons.

The multi-melta from the Land Raider Crusader upgrade sprue is good for converting a chin-mounted multi-melta - the distinctive melta fuel canisters are the exact same fit as the chin-mounted heavy flamer ones, just cut the gun barrels off and swap them over.

It's obviously a destructive conversion, but you can usually find that multi-melta on eBay for £1-2.

Archived