Dual Battle company feedback.

Morticon

Hey guys,

So, i took the DA rules out for a spin last night vs. arguably the toughest list on the local tourney circuit in the country (SA) and vs the #2 player in country.

List was:

Commander- PW, Aus, JP

Chaplain - Aus, JP

Dreadnought - HF

1x Pod

5x TAC - Flmr

1x TLAC Razor

5x TAC - Flmr

1x TLAC Razor

5x TAC - MG

1x TLPG/LC Razor

5x TAC - MG

1x TLHF Razor

5x TAC - MG, Cmbi-mg

1x POD

5x TAC - MG, Cmbi-mg

1x POD

5x Dev - 2MM, 1GC, cherub
1x POD

5x Dev - 2MM, 1GC, cherub
1x TLPG/LC Razor

8x ASM -JP, 1Flmr, P.Maul, MB
7x ASM - JP,1Flmr, P.Axe,MB

1500 points. (Yup - 1500)

Won't give the full batrep -but as expected full BS is incredible. What i noticed is that the benefit lends itself so, so well to plasma guns- on account of the multiple shots they get - maybe more so than melta.

As a primarily BA player I found the razors painfully slow and the TLHF useless on account of 6" movement - but i'm a little spoiled there.

I struggled to maneuver as i needed, but the back up of assault, and the ability to put wounds down on incoming units is just sick.

We played Kill Points (on purpose) since it was my weakest match...but still managed to table him.

Long story short- i think this formation is absolutely incredible and phenomenally powerful. At 1850 its going to be absolutely berserk.
Amazing stuff for fellow Angels of Death thumbsup.gif

Edit: updated list below. This one was initially illegal on account of not having the aux tax! No matter, new list has been even more successful and deadly!

• 2 weeks later...

Played this two more times.

Have tabled every opponent i've played so far.   It's a bit insane :/ Mad mad powerful.

I'm so impressed with the ability to include what feels like a "real" space marine army.  Every time I play it i'm more bleak that the BA dont have anything like it.

Played this:

Chaplain - ausp, JP

Captain - Pwr Maul, Ausp.

Dread - MM/HF

--Pod

5x SCT - SR

5x TAC - MG, Cmbi-MG

--Pod

5x TAC - MG, Cmbi-MG

--Pod

5x TAC - GG, Cmbi-MG

--Razor - TLPG/LC

5x TAC - GG, Cmbi-MG

--Razor - TLPG/LC

5x TAC - Flmr

--Razor - TLAC

5x TAC - Flmr

--Razor - TLAC

7x ASM - Flmr, Vet, Axe, MB , JP 

5x ASM - 2Flmr

--Pod

5x DEV - 2GC, 1MM, Cherub

--Pod

5x DEV - 2MM, 1GC

--Razor -TLHB

aaand that's 1500. 

So, i took the DA rules out for a spin last night vs. arguably the toughest list on the local tourney circuit in the country (SA) and vs the #2 player in country.

What was his list? It might help give a frame of reference to understand why yours was so powerful against his.

Zhadsnark - (FW orky biker boss)

Warboss- bike, klaw, luckystick, cmbi-skorcha

Warboss- bike, klaw, cmbi-skorcha, pole

Warboss- bike, klaw, cmbi-skorcha, pole

Big Mek - bike, buzzsaw, forcefield

Painboy - bike

Painboy - bike

4x 10 Grots, runtherd with prod

6x Bikers - Klaw, Pole

5x Bikers - Klaw, Pole

4x Bikers - Klaw, Pole

3x Bikers- Klaw, Pole

It won the local regionals before last, and has been playing top 3 in the last few tournaments.  The owning player is currently ranked 2nd or 3rd in the country.

For those of you not in the know, The orky biker boss makes the bikers troops, and gives the squad that he's in Scout, and skilled rider. 

other list was an IG list. 

Yarrick

Company Command - HF,2MG

4x 10 guys - lascannon, mg

3x 10 Vets - HF, 2MG

3x Chimeras

Battle Tank

Battle Tank

Wyvern

Vendetta

Brother Morticon I think your list is illegal.

You only got 2 demi company's there.

The Battle Company is a benefit of the Lions Blade detachment which you build by adding an auxiliary formation to a core formation. Since you do not have any auxiliary formations here, you only got 2 demi-company formations which do not entitle you to free transports.

Unless this :

5x SCT - SR

is an auxiliary formation,  because for the life of me I cannot decipher that :)

Morticon is doing things correctly.  Look at page 95: specifically what a Lion's Blade Strike Force may/must contain.  You do not have to double up on everything to get the Company Support benefit of the Detachment.  The Lion's Blade Strike Force must contain Core 1+ and Auxilliary 1+.  You may include an additoinal Core beyond the first one, that being a second Battle Demi-Company, and then you must include at least one Auxilliary choice in addition to the Core 1+, in this case one unit of Scouts.  Requirements fulfilled; benefits gained.

And things will surely be bad for IG or Orks when there are so many Space Marines.  In particular, Orks are very bad off under the current core rules, and the rules of this Detachment double up on their inherent weakness.

Awesome...I've got the models to do dual demis now...with five man squads, but I don't have the fleet of razorbacks to support...On the bright side, I'm pretty close to the 102 man dual demi solution...guess I'll finish that and then start painting razorbacks!

/edit/

master w/jp, mace

chappyw/jp

60 tacticals with 5 plasma guns

10 jumpers, naked

10 assault marines with dual flamers and a free drop pod

10 devs with 4 lascannons

5 devs with 2 plasma cannons

free TLHB razors!!!

/edit/ 55 point scout tax tongue.png

At 1850, i can only imagine how scary this gets.  I think it's "limited" somewhat at 1500, just by the gear you take, but its still good.  I think people at this points level will drift towards DA over SM on account of the lower auxiliary tax and the pretty hardcore full BS benefit. 

I must say, too, I think its one of the better balanced dexs. The way theyve designed the Lions Blade doesnt allow for all the goodies to be thrown in.  I think that's pretty awesome.  Means that you dont get ALL the goodness- fluffy + hella strong,but not too varied, or variation as you see fit.   I think that's where they should have gone with all the dexs. 

Did i mention I'm mad envious?? :P

I think it's due to the razorbacks bringing free/cheap firepower as well as the transport capacity (as 5 man units are cheaper than running 6 10 man units)
But a mixture of razorbacks and drop pods are best imo. Razorbacks do also get the most from being free - as they're the most costly.

At 1850, i can only imagine how scary this gets. I think it's "limited" somewhat at 1500, just by the gear you take, but its still good.

It is not much limited. The ten 5-man squads of two Demi-Companies, plus the 5 Scouts, plus the HQs, plus a Command Squad (because it looks cool), plus eleven FREE Razorbacks starts off at 1,025 points. I've only got 475 points left for upgrades. The Scouts and Razorbacks are getting nothing. The Chaplain gets a jump pack and melta-bombs, and the Company Master gets a relic blade and meltabombs. Now I'm down to 425 points to divide up among the eleven power armored squads. That is nearly 40 points of upgrades per squad. Some will get less, others more, but I'm not exactly struggling to get in enough stuff in what is the equivalent of a 2,105 point army. Seems more than a bit wrong to outnumber your opponent points-wise in a regular game by a hair more than 40%. whistlingW.gif At 1,850 points, you can tool this force up disgustingly well at nearly 75 poinst per power armored squad, or upgrade all of the Razorbacks with lascannon+twin plasma and still have nearly 50 points available per power armored squad for upgrades. blink.png

In most cases, a wall of AV 11 Razorbacks deployed front-to-rear will effectively screen your entire force in the event you don't go first, thus neutering the effectiveness of everything but Str 5 or higher weapons, and rendering your footsloggers targetable only by Barrage weapons. Your turn, the "Wall of Armor" pivots and advances while laying down fire, your other units being free to have embarked on any surviving Razorbacks or stand/advance and fire at revealed targets as they wish. Could operate very much in Bltizkrieg style, infantry advancing behind armor. Taking 5 Drop Pods opens up other obvious opportunities, and the remaining six Razorbacks would still be able to form a decent "Wall of Armor".

I'm thinking that ~7 marines per tactical squad, one ten man (with both jump packing leaders) and one five man (drop pod and flamers) jump squad, and two ten man devastator squads will work out best at 1850...I can't bring myself to do just five, they're too fragile, but ten is too expensive, no points left for goodies!

Played another game against a formidable Eldar opponent. 

Almost tabled him too.  

Only had 4 wraithguard locked in combat at the end of turn 5 (when game ended).

Im dropping the Vet upgrade and a Meltabomb to upgrade to the Mace for some smacky-face.

I'm assuming the razorbacks even though bs4 overwatch is extremely good (in essence a second shooting phase). A free razorback + 20 points gives you a three hull point tllc! A mobile tllc weapons platform for 20 points ouch!!!!

Obsec is a big deal too.  Your opponents can't just ignore those units, they have to deal with them.  I have nowhere near the models to run this and I likely won't before the next codex drops.  It does look like fun though.

Archived