Relentless Gav Command Square + Librarius Conclave

Orkinstein

Hi all, I am a big fan of Librarius Conclave. But compare C:SM's Conclave, our Ezekiel become a weak point because he is a footman...

FORMATION: 1 Ezekiel 2-4 Librarians

RESTRICTIONS: All units in this Formation must have the Dark Angels Faction

SPECIAL RULES:
Empyric Connection: At the start of the Psychic phase, you can nominate one model from this Formation. If you do this, the nominated model has access to any psychic powers known by other models from this Formation within 12" until the end of the phase; however, other models from this Formation within 12" of the nominated model cannot manifest psychic powers until the end of the phase. Furthermore, when the nominated model makes Psychic tests this phase, he will harness Warp Charge points on a result of 3+ rather than 4+ if there is at least one other model from this Formation within 12".
Focussed Interromancy: When manifesting the Mind Worm psychic power (see Codex: Dark Angels), models in this Formation can double the power’s maximum range if there is at least one other model from this Formation within 12".

Now every DA librarian can access to Mind Worm, that means we have a lot of 24" Mind Worms in this formation. What's more we also got cool abilities like Aversion from Interromancy. If Ezekiel focus on Interromancy he can get 3 powers plus Mind Worm. We can even cast Mind Wipe on 3+ warp charge. Just need some guard for them.

The command square in new DA codex can equip Sacred Standard which give them relentless and counter-attack. The relentless rule is very nice for grav-gun and we can even over watch at BS2 or more.

Then we got a multi-functional unit

Command Square        90
    grav-gun x4            60
    Apothecary             15
    Sacred Standard       35
    Drop Pod                 35

Ezekiel                     145                      Interromancy
Librarian x2~4          65x2~4              Interromancy

Librarians join CS in a Drop Pod and arrive at 1st turn. You can also let some librarians take bike and run 12". Ezekiel and other librarians use Mind Worm to weak/kill high value models like Special Weapon carriers or even HQs. Then use powers like Aversion to continue weak enemies. In shooting phase grav-gun can shoot as normal.

In 2nd turn CS can move, shoot and charge. Because now new codex says you can take items form Melee, Ranged and/or Special Weapons not replace. So Bolt Pistol and Chainsword are still remain. CS still can has +1A form 2 melee weapons. Ezekiel give all DA around 6" of him +1A. if you have Righteous Repugnance, you get +2A when charge. You will have 49 hits! (Ezekiel's sword without 2-hands now). Because concussive from grav-gun, the enemy you charged may only has I1.

If they charge us, first  they have to take grav-gun over watch(In Lion's Blade we can over watch at full BS) then we have counter-attack. 

I just thinking add some SH to librarians instead of veterans for more survivability . They have 2w and can use LOS when they stand in front of team. 

Any thoughts?

Yes. There you go. It just takes a bit of time and people are going to figure out this codex has some cool nuggets on it.

Only I don't think the ultras one is that much better except for tigurius.

Now that is how I planned to do the squad as well except to prove the naysayers wrong I am including azrael in my version. I still believe in this guy.

It definitely makes the sacred standard more attractive of a proposition. Are grav pistols salvo like their big brothers and can benefit from relentless? Having not played vanilla, not sure what the statline for grab pistols are.

Grav pistols are pistols, so relentless does nothing for them.

Yes. There you go. It just takes a bit of time and people are going to figure out this codex has some cool nuggets on it.

Now that is how I planned to do the squad as well except to prove the naysayers wrong I am including azrael in my version. I still believe in this guy.

Its like an upgunned AzEke bomb!

Azreal is coolmsn-wink.gif ... but I am not sure we put so many points in one square is a good idea?

Special, melee and ranged weapons lists DO require that you give up either a boltgun, bolt pistol or chainsword to take.

That said, with Zeke you are still looking at a lot of attacks (4 per model on the charge). I think Azrael has great synergy with this deathstar since Librarians do not innately have an invulnerable save and Zeke has no option to buy one. An important thing to note is that only your chosen Librarian may be able to cast if you put them all in the unit or merely too close together even if in separate units.

I would probably equip at least one librarian with an axe and another with a staff. This provides a good mix of AP2, AP3, S5 and S6 between them.

Also, do not under estimate the value of the sanctic discipline. It has some great powers and with the conclave you can get some of them off on a 3+ without even risking perils.

Special, melee and ranged weapons lists DO require that you give up either a boltgun, bolt pistol or chainsword to take.

That said, with Zeke you are still looking at a lot of attacks (4 per model on the charge). I think Azrael has great synergy with this deathstar since Librarians do not innately have an invulnerable save and Zeke has no option to buy one. An important thing to note is that only your chosen Librarian may be able to cast if you put them all in the unit or merely too close together even if in separate units.

I would probably equip at least one librarian with an axe and another with a staff. This provides a good mix of AP2, AP3, S5 and S6 between them.

Also, do not under estimate the value of the sanctic discipline. It has some great powers and with the conclave you can get some of them off on a 3+ without even risking perils.

Thanks for point out that. 

But for cast power, if we don't use Empyric Connection rule, all the librarians can cast as usually and still have 24" Mind Worm. 

For sanctic discipline, I just thinking that ally a GK librarian maybe is a better choice?

For a AZ "bomb squad" I think I prefer them with company veterans. More bodies to apply their 4++ and +1 Attacks to and they can pick up FNP from Azrael's warlord trait if you plant them on an objective. You don't even need to buy them power swords, just drowned them in dice and while Ezekiel and Azrael do the heavy lifting.

Still the command squad with banner is a solid alternative. Your not as dependent on warlord traits and you get the benefit of Counterattack for even more dice :).

On a related note I think overall that the new Mind Worm is a nerf relative to the previous edition. Sure the S6 broadens your target list to include MC's which his nice but you lose the multiple shots of the old version. Before if you rolled a 3, you could punish your opponent for taking LOS rolls. Your warlord may survive but it cost him a good chunk of his squad. 

Last edition I played with a Command squad with 5 Plasmas, Azrael and a conclave with 3 other Libbys all with Combi-plasmas in a pod. I rolled on Santic until I got Sanctuary then I rolled on what I wanted. This squad had a 3++ for the whole game.

Although expensive this unit wrecked everything it came close to. It gunned down a couple of Thunderfires, Tac squads and killed Vulkan. Only lost 2 wounds from Perils and I made sure I used a different Libby each time.

Most things are a lot cheaper now but I think this unit would now be infinitely better with Grav and the Relentless banner. Interromancy has some really good offensive spells. I would just roll Santic again until I got Sanctuary (Gate of Infinity would be a nice bonus to get) and the rest of the rolls would go into Interromancy.

Amusingly, the new form of Mind Worm makes a passable light anti-vehicle attack in a pinch. S6 AP2 and ignores cover. Somewhat ironically, it's a decent counter against Ravenwing units (particularly with it's focused witchfire aspect vs. Ravenwing Support Squadrons to pick out the Vengeance or Dark Shroud).

@Orkinstein: Running a GK Librarian only avoids the perils aspect, it makes it no easier to actually cast the powers.Plus you have to ally in other GK stuff and in general I dislike running allies.

@Solrac: Swapping Librarians is an excellent way to manage perils! Makes it even easier to run Sanctic powers. Also, while a bit off-topic, Librarius Conclave plus Belial and a DW Terminator squad with 2 heavy flamers can make for some great Gate of Infinity shenanigans.

Archived