Thoughts on Lion's Blade/Deathwing/Ravenwing Strike Forces

Macro

Hello all,

Given that the new book is out, and that we have actually had it for a few days since the pages were leaked in the rumour thread, I'm wondering what peoples opinions are of the different strike forces, and if they will likely use them or go normal CAD?

The Lion's blade force seems to be mostly GW with the option to either bolster GW (make it a battle company and add the hammer formation), or choose to add DW or RW. I like the idea of being able to snap shoot at full BS, and the other perks are quite nice. The Battle company with free transports are just wrong! But in a good way ;-) Made a 2000pts list which had 8 razorbacks to go with 2 preds and a land raider from the hammer formation! As much as it'd be fun to field, I can't afford that many new tanks!!! So generally you'd be looking at a demi-company, and then others, but with my ideal DW formation being about 900pts, that'll be the only extra in 1500pts, then add something else for a larger army. Only thing being, if you specifically want to add a dark shroud to cover some termies or just 1 fighter etc. then you'd need to take the demi company and then add a CAD.

The DW and RW strike forces have some nice synergy together, but not a lot of space to fit in GW units apart from assault squads and heavy support. On the plus side, you won't need many actual models!

So what do you guys think? Go with a mix/match option using all or some lions blade options, go for a DW/RW split force with their strike forces, or purely DW or RW? Or stick with basic cad and make your own list using some of the formations if they take your fancy?

I don't have the models for Lion's Blade (which is what I think GW wants to change).  When I run Greenwing it will be in a CAD, which isn't really inspiring.  The Deathwing formations are a little clunky and impossible to run on their own.  The Ravenwing stuff is great, but it would have been nice for the other two to get a little more love.  If by some miracle I get the models for the Lions Blade purchased, assembled, and painted before the next codex drop (in 2-3 years), I think running a mixed force will be a blast. For now I am sticking with my boys in black. 

doing a quick points calculation running a tri wing army can be done at 1850. i personally feel that interromancy (no solid data to back this up yet) may be the only way to secure terminators, so you really need conclave support. this leads to a 600+ point investment which is diffuclt to use considering the demi comp runs at around 900 points. so unless you go CAD your really looking at 1850 or greater to get termies.

Actually My regular greenwing theme list was something like

GM with mace and JP

2x tactical squads(10) in pod with melta MM

1x tactical squads (10)with plasma/lascan

2x assault squads sgt (10) with PW and 2 flamers

1x5 RWBK

1xWW

1xdevastator (10) with 4ML with RZB TLLC

As you can see the core is really close from a Lion's Blade (3tac 1assault 1 Deva leade by a company Master)

So actually I can play a close list just by replacing the assault squad and the WW by a RW detachement with 1 lib on bike + 5RWBK +1 nephilim. And play the rest witha Lion's blade Half company formation. I'll gain nice overwath bonus at no cost.

Or funnier : a full Lion's Blade company just like this :

#CORE Detachment 1

HQ

Master with AA and Mace

TROOPS

5 tacticals : plasma combi plasma in a free RZB

5 tacticals : melta combi melta in a free RZB

FA :

5 Assault : 2xflamers vet sgt with axe in a free RZB

HS :

5 Devastator : 4xGrav Cannon in a free RZB

#CORE Detachment 2

HQ

Chaplain

TROOPS

5 tacticals : plasma combi plasma in a free RZB

FA :

5 Assault : 2xflamers vet sgt with axe in a free RZB

HS :

5 Devastator : 4XMultiMelta in a free RZB

#AUXILIARY 1

10th Company Support

1x5 scouts with sniper camo cloaks and one ML with flakk

#ALLIED detachment : the arsenal of the Roc

SM ARMOURED task force

One techmarine with Servo Harness

One Thunderfire Cannon

1x1 WW

1x1 WW

1x1 Predator with Autocannon and HB sponsons

Total 1850pts

Funny huh? And totally fluffy ^_^

As for the RW I wanted to try that :

RW BF

Librarian with bike lvl 2 conversion field

Librarian with bike lvl 2 conversion field

1 RWCS with champion and Apothecary

5x5 RW BK

Imperial Knight paladin with AA turret

1850pts...

Really all those formations are like a spark in a powder warehouse, I cannot stop imagining army lists :lol:

You don't *need* a conclave. You can run three librarians in DWSF. They wont gain supreme fire discipline, but it's an alternative to running the conclave.

You can run 3 TDA Librarians and 2 5-man Deathwing terminator squads with assault cannons for 785.

Add a demi-company for 440 before weapon upgrades and a full RWAS with combi-grav, 2 grav-guns, a MMAB and 2hb landspeeder for 300.

That all comes in at 1525 which leaves 325 points to equip your demi-company in 1850. Not bad at all, imo.

The presence of the RWAS means your terminators come in any time you want after turn 1 and they don't scatter within 12" of any RWAS models. If you don't like the basic terminators, you can sub a DW command squad or DW knights instead. You could run the conclave instead, but that would require adding Ezekiel (not merely replacing one of the TDA guys with him) and would eat into your gear for the demi-company.

A quick and dirty example:

Lion's blade:

Demi

Company Master: Power axe

Tactical Squad: 5-man, meltagun, drop pod

2x Tactical Squads: 5-man, lascannon

Assault Squad: 5-man, 2 flamers, drop pod

Devastator Squad: 5-man, 4 grav-cannons, drop pod

RWAS

6 bikes & attack bike: Combi-grav, 2 grav-guns, multi-melta

Landspeeder: 2 heavy bolters

DWSF:

3x TDA Librarians: ML2

2x DW Terminators: Assault Cannon

Comes to 1825. Could likely be tweaked for better optimization, but its a starting point.

You don't *need* a conclave. You can run three librarians in DWSF. They wont gain supreme fire discipline, but it's an alternative to running the conclave.

You can run 3 TDA Librarians and 2 5-man Deathwing terminator squads with assault cannons for 785.

Add a demi-company for 440 before weapon upgrades and a full RWAS with combi-grav, 2 grav-guns, a MMAB and 2hb landspeeder for 300.

That all comes in at 1525 which leaves 325 points to equip your demi-company in 1850. Not bad at all, imo.

The presence of the RWAS means your terminators come in any time you want after turn 1 and they don't scatter within 12" of any RWAS models. If you don't like the basic terminators, you can sub a DW command squad or DW knights instead. You could run the conclave instead, but that would require adding Ezekiel (not merely replacing one of the TDA guys with him) and would eat into your gear for the demi-company.

A quick and dirty example:

Lion's blade:

Demi

Company Master: Power axe

Tactical Squad: 5-man, meltagun, drop pod

2x Tactical Squads: 5-man, lascannon

Assault Squad: 5-man, 2 flamers, drop pod

Devastator Squad: 5-man, 4 grav-cannons, drop pod

RWAS

6 bikes & attack bike: Combi-grav, 2 grav-guns, multi-melta

Landspeeder: 2 heavy bolters

DWSF:

3x TDA Librarians: ML2

2x DW Terminators: Assault Cannon

Comes to 1825. Could likely be tweaked for better optimization, but its a starting point.

If you didn't want to put the librarians with the Deathwing, I don't see anything keeping you from leaving them in power armor and having them come in drop pods with your demi company. I'm not positive how Summoned to War will work with that, but they don't have to be wearing terminator armor to get onto the board from Deep Strike Reserve.

[...] with 2 preds and a land raider from the hammer formation! 

This would be one predator short of legal.  Read the hammer again...you MUST take a land raider, three identical tanks, and a techmarine.  

I'm thinking of a DC and a redemption force for a lion's blade...but if they ever fix the ravenwing strike force (currently, you are required to field Sammy, because it says that ALL models must have the ravenwing special rule, and he's the only HQ with that rule...so the 0-2 additional HQs are actually 0-0 for now), I'll do a DC, 5 scouts (lion's blade tax!), a DWSF and a RWSF...presto, my termies drop when I want, and if in range of a bike, don't scatter!  Oh, and I get to use my DT!

,I'll do a DC, 5 scouts (lion's blade tax!), a DWSF and a RWSF...presto, my termies drop when I want, and if in range of a bike, don't scatter! Oh, and I get to use my DT!

Actually I've discovered something alternative to the "scout tax" if there's a redemption force nearby : A RWAS with one AB and one speeder. This cost as much as a scout squad with cloak and sniper. But you have a scouting LS and a AB that can summon the DW within 12" instead of the standard 6"... Easy to hide and very mobile way to bring your termis whereever you want

All good points, and having properly sat down with the book last night I'm thinking a demi company, the redemption force and then a RWSF with Dark talon, a dark shroud and RWCS. The ability to give the bikes stealth while turbo-boosting/jinking in 1st turn and then DW termies fear and no chance for overwatch on the charge?! Yes please! Add in a stasis bomb then the termies should mince enemies.

Quick question, do you all go for 1850-2k points? Or a more standard 1500pts?

I keep ending up back at the RW strike force, and until now I've been a solid CAD player. Speed of the Raven is just TOO GOOD.

I'm not sure how often I'll actually use speed of the Raven. I played a 1250 game last night with a full ravenwing list against adeptus mechanicus. Hammer and Anvil deployment. I was in their faces turn one with my scout move and then normal movement, and my first turn shooting killed 4 of his treaded servitor things and like 8 rangers and put a hull point on his onagers. That was 24 less grav shots coming my way the next turn, so I'm not sure I want to give up my alpha strike in exchange for a jink I can still use if I want at the cost of snap shooting next turn. 

BTW onagers with the icarus array are the bane of speeders. Killed my darkshroud turn one with that ignores cover :(

I agree it's not something you're going to use every game, but to me its really nice to have in the tool box. Also the other available attachments either don't offer much, or require too high of an entry fee (Lions Blade). I'm currently play testing a CAD and RWSF list, and at the moment the only difference seems to be two squads of sniper scouts.

Archived