My biggest issue with the new codex...

3DJutsu

I honestly have no idea what to run, it all looks so tasty.

Do I keep running pure Ravenwing? Or do I go for a demi-co with support? What about a lions blade?!

Argh! Never thought I'd find myself saying that dark angels had TOO many options!

Agreed with above. I'm working on a heavily RW CAD list at the moment. I'm pleasantly surprised by 6 man RW command squads in the elite section with no HQ restrictions. Coupled with viable scouts for the first time ever, I'm pretty happy with the way things are shaping up. I do need a unit to handle AV 14, Wraith Knights, Imperial Knights and I have no idea what to do about Heldrakes....

I disagree that pure Ravenwing doesn't work. It was our strongest list last codex and got stronger. You just don't have the objective secured crutch and have to actually come up with ways to get models off of objectives instead of merely being a "better" scoring unit.

That said, CAD style armies are still viable, scouts got better and tactical squads got better options. Devastators make excellent heavy support options along with tank squadrons. Elites and fast attack are a bit crowded in the CAD, but there are great options in both.

Honestly, I think the best way to build Dark Angels will be mixing our detachments. Lion's blade plus a RW or DW strike force will be quite effective. A CAD could substitute well for the Lion's Blade in such a combo.

I love the codex. Gets rid of the cheese and balances the previously useless units. More options for good lists.

My issue with the codex:

Still no anti-air! Other than the frustratingly expensive Flakk missile squad, which also takes up your devastators from fielding other weapons, and your own flyers (then it would just be a relatively even fight) which are still 170 points.

Where are our cheap anti-aircraft tanks or Mortis Dreadnaughts (without being forced to forge world)?

And no, I will not accept a Flakk missile in a tactical squad as acceptable anti-air. That wastes a whole unit shooting for a pitiful strength 7 attack which will likely fail.

I guess the Hammer has enough twin-linked Lascannon shots to fill the job. And Black Knights are still good for this, too, but at larger risk of overheating.

Edit: why is the CAD detachment that I keep seeing?

Combined arms detachment, standard 1 HQ 2 troops etc etc.

Many thanks. I still do have the rule book. Is it possible to run both a CAD and the formations from our codex without going unbound?

And if so, do units in a formation also count towards organisation chart or are they a separate entity?

I love these options. I'm building a DWSF/RWAS/Imperial Knight and a DWSF/CAD. I figure best way to start is with what your favorite units are then go from there. I personally love libbys so got to have them with deathwing. Then I just add in support stuff for the deathwing

The land raider excelsior is probably our answer, two twin linked lascannon with skyfire.

But tbh I've given up trying to justify allying in a stalker/hunter and just bought myself the deredeo. And it's doing the job more than adequately.

Just take your favorite units and build around them. That's what I'm doing at least

Well, my favourite units are everything with Knight in them. Unfortunately, this means the borderline OP Black Knights. However, they will be balanced out by the Deathwing Knights in a Land Raider. The biggest advantage is that is looks ridiculously awesome. I tried to visualize my conversions and started to puke rainbows :D

Archived