Lions Blade and Fortifications

DarkAkra

Hi Guys,

Long time stalker, new time poster.  I can't pick up my new codex until tomorrow but I have been wish listing and list building but I have one question.  Is it possible to take fortifications in the Lions Blade?  I am thinking double detachment and a ton of free Razerbacks behind some Aegis Defense Shenanigans.

Regards,

-Akra

It wont be part of the lions blade but you can take it as a fortification detachment all the same. None of the rules of the Lions Blade would have affected the Aegis anyways.

I have the models for a double demi (not the transports), but razorspam doesn't really excite me...a VP appiece for AV11 targets...sounds like a great way to hand the game to the enemy...I never take free stuff just because it's free...if I need it and it's free, fantastic......if I need it and it costs, I'll pay.  ~shrug~ 

In Kill Points missions I agree wholeheartedly, but my meta almost exclusively plays Maelstrom missions and the Razerbacks make great objective holders if 3 objectives are placed on my side of he table.  I intend on testing the list sometime this week and see how it deals with Eldar and Necrons.

Regards

-Akra

I have the models for a double demi (not the transports), but razorspam doesn't really excite me...a VP appiece for AV11 targets...sounds like a great way to hand the game to the enemy...I never take free stuff just because it's free...if I need it and it's free, fantastic......if I need it and it costs, I'll pay.  ~shrug~ 

How often do you play kill points? Most people just play maelstrom, and you will probably table the person with massed Heavy Bolter fire before he can destroy all your Razorbacks.

It wont be part of the lions blade...

Agreed that there are no fortifications in the Lion's Blade Strike Force.

...but you can take it as a fortification detachment all the same.

Can you point to a source for this? Some detachments (eg CAD and the Skitarii Maniple) have a slot for a single fortification datasheet but I don't think I've ever seen a detachment that consists solely of 1+ fortifications.

It wont be part of the lions blade...

Agreed that there are no fortifications in the Lion's Blade Strike Force.

...but you can take it as a fortification detachment all the same.

Can you point to a source for this? Some detachments (eg CAD and the Skitarii Maniple) have a slot for a single fortification datasheet but I don't think I've ever seen a detachment that consists solely of 1+ fortifications.

Im pretty sure its in the main rule book under fortifications and their datasheets. dont have it with my right now cant check

You use Stronghold assault rules

You fetch it like a detachment/formation/CAD,

The book is quite useful on top of your fortification you can buy tank traps etc. Tank traps are an interesting rule their impassible terrain for vehicles and anything trying to deep strike won't be able to place Base to Base on them

This will help against deep striking & assault based armies especially with our buffed overwatch

Stronghold Assault page 20 says:

All fortifications and fortification networks have a datasheet that has all the information you'll need to use them in your games. Each datasheet uses up a single fortification slot on the Force Organisation chart.

I still see no way to include a fortification in a battle-forged army without filling a fortification slot and there are no fortification slots in the Lion's Blade.

You take it in addition too, just like taking a RWSF. Doesn't benefit from the lions blade, but you can take it all the same.

Think of fortifications as their own little dataslate detachments, because that's what they are.

I don't believe that is true. Fortifications are a unit classification, just like lord of war or heavy support or troop etc. You can take one outside of a detachment, but that makes it unbound. Even the fortification networks in stronghold assault are stated to "fill a single fortification slot", they are not a formation. To my knowledge the only detachments to include such a slot are the CAD and the Skitarii and cult mech ones.

The only place I've ever seen reference to a "fortification detachment" is battlescribe, and that is either a misunderstanding on the part of whoever created those army lists, or a necessary concession in that program to deal with the fact that fortifications have no inherent faction.

In short, no fortifications if you use anything other than a CAD.

DarkProdigy is correct.

Stronghold Assault may have the rules, but you must have a fortification slot to put them in.

Although there are more detachments with a fortification slot then the ones Dark Prodigy mentioned, like the Baal Strike Force, Nemesis Strike Force, the Ork one and so on.

None of the Super-Detachments have had one though. Better get some scouts for a CAD.

In short, no fortifications if you use anything other than a CAD.

Not quite correct...but I think it's just sloppy wording on your part, not a misunderstanding of the rules.  You must have an FOC to put the fortification in, but you can certainly have stuff other than a CAD and still put a fortification into your CAD.  The way you were wording it, if you had a CAD and...say, an inquisitor, that inquisitor prevents you from using the fortification FOC in your CAD.

Better get some scouts for a CAD.

LOL...110 points worth of scouts, plus an HQ, that's quite a tax if you didn't plan to take the scouts and HQ anyway...paying a 5 scout tax to upgrade a demi company to a lion's blade is one thing...buying two troops and an HQ that you didn't want or need just to create a fortification FOC slot...that's nuts!

Archived