Assassins

Calistarius

Hey guys I'm still out of the loop with the current validity of units.  Are Assassins a viable option anymore?  I used to use a Calidus pretty consistently, but that was back in 3rd edition.  I've seen the datasheet for each temple, and they seem to be pretty good.  Just curious to see if anyone still uses them or has an argument for or against them.

If both of your HQ slots are taken by non-psykers such as mine, then the Culexus assassin in particular can be very useful for you. An insane amount of special rules including some of the nastiest against psykers I've ever seen, as well as some decent stats make him a worthy choice in my opinion.

For example, every unit shooting him(non-psykers included) has to reduce their BS to 1. Same with every unit attacking him in close combat, their WS goes down to 1 as well. His attacks cause instant death to psykers and ignore any type of armour. Further more he's got psyk-out grenades and the animus speculum, which turns into a very deadly short-ranged weapon when there's a psyker within 12" of the Assassin. And I didn't even mention that he banishes every malediciton or blessing within 12" of him! (Now I did).

In short, when fighting seer-council eldar, imperial herertics armies with psychic choir and of course Grey Knights, think about taking this dude. Your opponent will love you.

Snorri

Yes Assassins are valid. However, they are there to supplement your force and your plan shouldn't hinge on them.

I use my Callidus as a distraction unit. However, you need to ensure that she isn't played too aggressively in that first turn and the tricky part is that the temptation to do so is really high. She is good at bullying and harassing things.

Vindicares will always have a role, be it picking off that Sergeant/hidden fist/special weapon/heavy weapon, finishing off that vehicle or even HQ assassinations.

Eversors can be problematic, but they can work if given a Drop Pod or a Stormraven transport.

I just finished a tourney using the Culexus. 

He's amazing if you have psykers in your meta and decent even if you don't. Just keep him away from assaults you're not sure of winning. 

I even let him ride in the same SR as my Lib dread from time to time.

Think of it like this;

I can either generate warp charge as normal and try my luck casting various powers.... or I can just absorb the charges with the Culexus and get a really good shooting power (in the psychic phase no less) that hit on BS 8!

Unless I really needed 'force' or 'quickening' I got better damage output from the speculum.

Feeding him your own mastery levels is also a way of making him better for the times when you don't face psykers at all, like Necrons.

TLDR: The lib dread and culexus are like the odd partners from a cop-movie.

I think they're good, but not great. Callidus with Cpt Karlean is interesting for sieze the initiative shenanigans. Callidus with a drop pod army provides an extra turn 1 threat. I like her, just don't ask her to do too much. I really want to like the Vindicare but he never lived up to the tasks he's supposed to be good at. 

Feeding him your own mastery levels is also a way of making him better for the times when you don't face psykers at all, like Necrons.

IDEA BREWING;

Isn't there a new Space Marine formation that lets you take, like, 5 Librarians?

Pop a Culexus in with them and have a tasty 10shot BS8 gun.

Is this legit?

IDEA BREWING;

Isn't there a new Space Marine formation that lets you take, like, 5 Librarians?

Pop a Culexus in with them and have a tasty 10shot BS8 gun.

Is this legit?

Sure, but it would be extremely wasteful. Much better to use cheap MLs from codex INQ.

It works with the Lib dread because he's a powerful unit even without the psychic powers. The whole idea behind taking the conclave is the amazing formation bonus to casting powers. 

I used a Vindicare at our last tournament on my bastion's roof quad gun.  BS 8 is awesome. . .  On a quad gun and his spy mask eliminates jink saves.   The shield breaker round is useful for taking out a unit's storm shield tanker, or getting that last wound on a tough HQ.  The best though is that even after he intercepts with the quad gun, he can fire his Exitus Rifle the next turn.  So, unlike a lot of Emplaced Weapon gunners, he's useful all the time.  I thought he was an MVP for me.  When he immobilized a LRC the first turn of the my first game, I knew I had a winner.  He went on to kill Belial, and shoot down multiple storm ravens (twice as they were zooming on).  He has no armor save though.  So when he dies, he dies horribly.  3+ cover save in the parapet is pretty nice though.  Lots of fun to play. . .

Archived