Sammael vs Interrogator Chaplain

Right now I am trying to decide on what character to pick. The plan is to cruise around solo and beat up dedicated scoring units, ranged units or backfield units.

The setup I would run the Int.Chap. would be Bike, Make of Redemption, Shroud of Heroes - 170pts.

Sammael gets an amazing Warlord trait which allows him to do some comfortable first turn charges without scouting. He can also re-roll his jink save. He also has AP2, but that is less relevant given his usual targets. His Jetbike also allows him to move over units and not drive around.

However, the Int.Chap. hits at S7 AP3 with Zealot, which allows him to threaten vehicles as well, but it may lead to him being too deadly and finish combat too fast, whereas Sammy might get stuck and not be shot and they hit and run out of there. His Zealot can also be useful when joining Black Knights. However, he only has his 2+ and FnP, which is worse than Sammael's save and he does not have Rapid Maneuver fixed. He is 30pts cheaper though.

So, who do you think is the superior choice given my options above?

With Shroud of Heroes he has a 2+ Jink. That is what I meant. This amounts to 2+ Jink and FnP whereas Sammy has 3+ re-rollable, or 2+ during Night Fighting or in Dark Shroud range. Sammy is faster and more resistant to shooting whereas the Chaplain is more resitant to melee thanks to FnP.

Please read the rules. The Shroud of Heroes is a relic that gives the bearer Shrouded when is not attached to a unit and Feel no Pain at all times. Once again, this gives the Int.Chap. a 2+ Jink and FnP whereas Sammael has a 3+ rerollable or 2+ when in Dark Shroud range. The points above still stand. Looking for more opinions.

Have you considered taking Sableclaw (Sammie Speeder)?

I know we talked about this on another topic, but given what you said above about what you want him to do, the speeder might be more in line for that role.

Just food for thought.

The Speeder is an interesting option. With vector strike and hit shooting he can engage two units. However, you have more saves against his shooting than his melee. Also, jinking, his greatest strength, takes away Sableclaw's offensive power, whereas Corvex still has his melee. Sableclaw also can not tie units like Artillery.

I think I am tending towards Corvex in that matter.

Sableclaw has two major things preventing it from being just ok to amazing.  The first is the same fixed warlord trait as the corvex, rapid manouvre, this is almost completely useless for him as he has no way to join any unit and allow anyone else to benefit from it, he himself also can't charge so its only his turboboost that would get an extra 3 inches, boooooo.  He should of had the first warlord trait that gives precision shots and ignore cover to shooting, this would make this guy so insanely good and fun to use and seems like he's built to have it, rather than the current one which is just completely wasted on him, thats a BIIIIIG drawback to have a guaranteed useless warlord trait if you have to take him as your warlord.

The second more minor complaint is i wish he had some way to join the vehicle squadrons that this codex introduces, he seems perfectly suited to join the ravenwing support squadron to benefit from their rules as well as provide some protection to a weak unit and give them skilled rider: so you don't have to worry about immobilizing your expensive speeders just because you wanted to end in terrain.  Again, two changes that would create some huge synergy with the codex and units overall and would make his high point cost a bit easier to swallow. 

As of now he won't see much play from me anymore if I don't have to play him.  The main problem is he had a perceived "tax" cost of making ravenwing troops that made his 200 point cost easier to swallow, this edition he no longer does that and only gained some very marginal buffs without getting any cheaper :P  Too bad imo.

Archived