Dark Angel Power Combos

IndigoJack

So I've had a chance to flip through the new book, and there are a couple combos that immediately stand out to me:

RWCS + Interrogator Chaplain + Librarius Conclave w/ bikes (either version, but the SM version does harness the war better)

This is the combo that stood out to me the most. You've got a powerful deathstar that has hit & run (can even autopass with the banner) as well as a good chance of passing invis/shrouding. Shrouding in particular is pretty powerful as the RW have a 2+ rerollable cover save and is only WC1. Between corvus hammers and plasma talons this unit can handle a large number of threats while being incredibly durable. Just watch out for stomps rolls in CC as a good stomp roll can take the wind out of this units sails.

Command Squad + sacred standard + grav + drop pod

This one is pretty obvious, and I'm not convinced it's worth the points yet. At 220 pts (235 w/ apothecary) it's an expensive unit, but it will do a number on enemy 2+/3+ models.

These are the two that immediately stood out to me. Any one else found some good ones?

Azrael, Command Squad w/ Apothecary, Sacred Standard, and loaded with grav, plasma, or melta; and a Techmarine with 3 Servitors with plasma cannons or multi-meltas. In a Drop pod. Relentless, 4++ save, FNP for everything. Previously this wouldn't be allowed, but note that Servitors are now upgrades to the Techmarine, so they do NOT form a squad of their own now, so can join other units as per the Independent Character rules. cool.png

Previously this wouldn't be allowed, but note that Servitors are now upgrades to the Techmarine, so they do NOT form a squad of their own now, so can join other units as per the Independent Character rules. cool.png

Very nice...

Here's one that uses a little bit of DA...Azrael, GKL, and priest with 50 IG conscripts...those 3 point models can now reroll to hit and wound at S5, as well as having a 3++ save!

I prefer Azzy with 30+ Guardsmen, Plasmas, Priest and an I Inquisitor with Rad and Psy-stroke Grenades. No one will want to touch you in melee. Oh, and get the FnP trait with Azzy for extra hilarity.

I also like Ezekiel rolling on Interromancy to get 2 and 6, stick him in a DWCS with DW Banner and enjoy your charge with 6A per dude and 7A with Ezekiel, potentially against WS1. Costs less than 500pts :D

Still, quite surprised no one mentioned RWBK + Dark Shroud.

The Primarch's Wrath is a SM relic that is a bit overpriced at 20 points for a Mastercrafted Salvo 3/5 Str 4 AP 4 Bolter with Shred. In a Command Squad with Relentless though it's a decent upgrade if you were going to have some Vanillas along with you anyway.

Azrael, Command Squad w/ Apothecary, Sacred Standard, and loaded with grav, plasma, or melta; and a Techmarine with 3 Servitors with plasma cannons or multi-meltas. In a Drop pod. Relentless, 4++ save, FNP for everything. Previously this wouldn't be allowed, but note that Servitors are now upgrades to the Techmarine, so they do NOT form a squad of their own now, so can join other units as per the Independent Character rules. cool.png

The Servitors doesn't have the IC rule them self, nor do they have the SW wolf/cyberwolf rules that lets them take their canine friends and join another squad. (And the techmarine is under no obligation to stay with them)

Thus, the Techmarine is no more allowed to join his squad of servitors into a command squad then he is allowed to try and join a squad of scouts into it.

Dwk + lrc + darkshroud.

The shroud deepstrikes in the turn you wish to charge and that just totally denies the enemy the power to overwatch the terminators. If the shroud stays alive then you can abuse this again and again which cuts down on casualties a metric ton. As well as denying the enemy a precious chance to slay them, this also grants the land raider a 5+ cover. Which dramatically improves the chances of it surviving till the next turn.

It's risky as heck to deepstrike danger close but as Mack mackerson the 3rd has put it best "he who dares wins"

You can also abuse this with deepstrike terminators as this grants the nearby squads shrouded and stealth meaning if you have no good spots to put them down so they can run to cover this can save at least some of their bacon.

The Primarch's Wrath is a SM relic that is a bit overpriced at 20 points for a Mastercrafted Salvo 3/5 Str 4 AP 4 Bolter with Shred. In a Command Squad with Relentless though it's a decent upgrade if you were going to have some Vanillas along with you anyway.

The boni of a standard apply only on Dark Angels faction models. So the vanilla IC wouldn't benefit from it.

The boni of a standard apply only on Dark Angels faction models. So the vanilla IC wouldn't benefit from it.

I see, what strange wording. More suited to the bubble that would have made the standard good instead of meh.

@aura_enchanted: The Darkshroud only gives Stealth to units within 6". The Shrouded it gives to itself only. This hasn't changed from the last codex either. You wouldn't need to deepstrike the Darkshroud you would just follow the Land raider up (who would get a 6+ cover not 5+ as you mentioned) and jink if it get shot at as it gets a 2+ re-rollable cover save when jinking. All that just so you can prevent overwatch on 1 unit though I think it's a waste of 80 points as Deathwing Knights are already super tough.

The Servitors doesn't have the IC rule them self, nor do they have the SW wolf/cyberwolf rules that lets them take their canine friends and join another squad. (And the techmarine is under no obligation to stay with them)

Thus, the Techmarine is no more allowed to join his squad of servitors into a command squad then he is allowed to try and join a squad of scouts into it.

Bah, I think you are right (Servitors do have to have some sort of special rule). So, leave out the three servitors, take Ezekiel, and two Aliies (HQ + 1 Troop each) in the form of Njal Stormcaller and Mephiston. And put some power fists/thunder hammers in there so the unit cannot be tar-pitted by a big walker of some kind.

Power combo that I will test next is Samael + DWK.

With Sam you can play them on foot.. You can scout before the game, then move 6" and run D6" + 3" in your first turn, in your second turn another 6" move and charge pretty much whatever you want on the table with that lovely + 3". Sami is a great tanker for the squad as long as you don't get hit with "no cover" weapons, plus he gives the unit hit and run, and he isn't slowed down by difficult terrain when charging.

You can add more cheese to this squad as you see fit : GK Librarian for santuary/hammerhand, sanginary priest for fnp, Ezekiel with conclave again for sanctuary/hammerhand and +1 attack, and so on.

Archived