Getting Started with the Dark Angels

Brother Inritz

I'm on a quest to own an army from every Space Marine Codex and today that means Dark Angels. I'm going to be getting the codex in hand soon. I ordered it yesterday. The question I have is where should I start in terms of models? I'm going shooty so should I get tac marines? I'm not sure about HQ but I know I'm probably not going ravenwing. I have 2000 points to play with. Any advice would be helpful. 

I'm in a similar boat. Getting back into 40k after a few years off, and I realized that Dark Vengeance, a tactical squad and the Dark Angels Expansion to Dark Vengeance would net me around 1500 points. Not too shabby for around $300 retail (less if I can sell off the chaos to someone).

Lots of deals on Dark Vengeance kits on ebay.   If you don't mind the snap fit soldiers you can get a 5 man squad of Deathwing for $12.00.

Pretty much the same price for Ravenwing and Tacticals as well.   

See if any FLGS in your area has the old Ravenwing Battleforce.  It was one of the best deals GW had.  It had a full Ravenwing Squad and a Land Speeder.  What really made it awesome was that it came with 3 Ravenwing Upgrade Sprues, which had way more than just Ravenwing stuff on them.  They have stuff to bling out your Rhinos, Dreadnoughts, and More.

If you can get your hands on the Dark Angels from Dark Vengeance that's a great way to get your army going. It gives you a nice solid force to build on.
All you need is to get one more tactical squad and you have your minimum two troop choices filled out.
I field 3 ten man squads, each with a heavy and special weapon, and with the new formations I feel they've gotten better.
As for HQ, I've always gone with a Company Master as my go to guy. Good points and great along side the tactical squads.
As for a second HQ, I usually run a Interrogator Chaplain. More because I really like the model than anything else.
If you're thinking of going shooty, I find a combination of dreadnoughts and predators great. Plenty of options for whatever weapon type you prefer to use.
And of course devastators with razorback transports are always an option. They're a personal favouirte of mine.
I wouldn't dismiss the ravenwing. They're a great force and I have to say I'm looking forward to using them with the new codex. 5 land speeders with two multi meltas each, with a darkshroud? Now that I will definitley be putting together. biggrin.png

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing

I would just buy 2x dark vengence it gives you 2 tacs 2 elites 2 fast attack and 2 hq. The spare hq has the same load out as azy and so can easily be converted to be our low. And all for a super knock down price. Sell the rest on ebay and your quids in

There have been many examples of great dark vengeance conversions posted in this forum. Check out Elmos work as a place to start.

My local store let's you double up your copy of dv. When I got it I got double angels then when my daughter fell to chaos she doubled up too.

Yes you end up with same pose models but they can be customised with ease and what you end up with is a good starting force.

Definitely don't dismiss ravenwing. I loved them last month but love them more now

I'm on a quest to own an army from every Space Marine Codex and today that means Dark Angels. I'm going to be getting the codex in hand soon. I ordered it yesterday. The question I have is where should I start in terms of models? I'm going shooty so should I get tac marines? I'm not sure about HQ but I know I'm probably not going ravenwing. I have 2000 points to play with. Any advice would be helpful. 

Dark vengeance. You can still get a reasonable sized force pretty cheap on ebay. In fact, you could probably make a lion's blade for around $100 - $150, which would be  master/chaplain 3 tacticals, an assault squad, a devastator squad, and a bike squad with land speeder. Or instead of the bikes you could do a deathwing retribution squad with a counts-as Belial and 2 terminator squads. I picked up 3 DV tactical squads for about $25 and 18 bikes for around $40. I also picked up some of the masters for around $2.99 or 3.99 1.50 each.

Archived