New DA v Necrons

SnakeChisler

1st Battle Report with New Dex

So after salivating over my new copy it was time to put some of my thoughts into practice

Game 1 V Necrons 1000 points Mealstrom

We drew the 6 Cards decreasing objectives which really blew me out my army was a Ravenwing strike force with Support Squad so all elite + speeders V a Footslogging Necron Obj - Sec Force my buddy was trying with a load of Resurrection Shenanigns.

Oh well to Battle so 1 full command Librarian (House ruled he was Ravenwing) 2 Bike squads a Dark Talon + (3 HB speeders + Darkshroud)

We rolled Night Fighting Turn 1 as well L

Really wanted the Talon in asap, looking at the Ravenwing rules you role for it as normal if you start on the board because you can’t start flyers argghh so decided to reserve everything but the Support Squad

Hamstrung a bit I couldn’t then afford to get the speeders with Gauss fire range, he scored massive on objectives putting the game out of reach before we’d even started but hey it was a test game he then sat back and waited for the incoming Ravenwing who all appeared rolled in off the table edge (we were playing corners) right into his army.

Necrons are hard to kill at the best of times but his instant response to them in his face looking at his big squad with 2 Lords and a Crpyteck in it was to use some staff that has the same effect as invisibility so pick another target, I also had Rage but as I'd arrived from reserve couldn't make use of it.

Luckily enough the Librarian had his revenge and made them all WS 1 so that was something my other 2 bike squads hammered the Scarabs but only killed 1 & 1/2 Bases the Talon Killed 1 warrior (the other 1 passed a 6+ reanimate) the bolter fire did nothing (as usual against Necrons) and didn't create a Nova but at least they were blind.

Necron Turn 2 he unloaded everything he could into the command squad who jinked, well that was fun a Dark shrouded double jinking command squad took exactly no wounds, he then charged mostly to deny my charge bonus + HOW + Rage (Psychic power) promptly switching on some artifact that gave them double resurrection so Overwatch killed nothing & supporting overwatch only killed 1.

He managed to kill a couple of bikes despite being nerfed and I managed to kill a couple of Crons despite the res orb all tied but I had a flag so auto Hit & Run & they were blind from the Mace.

In my Turn I recharge with Rage and switched on Force dropped a bomb on them and still didn’t get a Nova from the main gun but hey another Necron squad was blind

To sum up I lost very about 4 models & took a couple of hull points on the plain but lost by a margin

I did run down his main squad though in turn 5 after they used up all his special stuff and he did say afterwards that he should have probably gone at the weaker squads 2+ re-rollable cover save with Feel No Pain is nut sauce.

A few things came up though that were very interesting the Warlord Trait THE HUNT confers Ignores cover to your Warlord as he was a Psyker any Psychic Shooting Attack would gain Ignores Cover (but I was always jinking by this time anyway).

The Talon’s Bomb does an Initiative test after a wound is failed I insisted this was before RP was rolled he was adamant that RP was a save and they weren’t wounded until they failed both we agreed to disagree?

Whatever the effects of Psychic, Blind & Bomb made most of his units have next to no WS and BS for large parts of the game

The Formation with 3 speeders in it is really useful against Necrons it was an uphill battle but 18 shots hitting on 2’s instead of 3’s is a real buff

The DS giving no overwatch saved me a couple of Bikers I’d lost 2 on the Charge before remembering he couldn’t overwatch at all

So all in all a real good test of some new stuff though bigger lists are going to have some form of OBJ-SEC

Interesting to hear the results of your first battle SnakeChisler. Shame about the narrow loss, but as you say, it was a test game and the scenario wasn't the best for you. Would you have picked different units if you'd played again?

Nice Batrep!

The Formation with 3 speeders in it is really useful against Necrons it was an uphill battle but 18 shots hitting on 2’s instead of 3’s is a real buff

Which one is this? The overwatch Support Squad? Or the Attack Squad? (One can only have one speeder, so I think this is the support squad with Interceptor/Overwatch?)

I knew the blind bomb would be huge against necrons.... people whined about it, but really, to be a Necron player on the receiving end of that is pretty darn nasty.

The RP is not a save. That's why it gets around so many 'no save' situations and they had to be specific with "removed from table means no RP". 

Could you imagine getting a bomb off on a high end unit some necron player is spamming? 

Nice job. I have my own games coming up momentarily!

I'm glad you guys house ruled the Libby, because I plan to do the same thing. We can only hope GW breaks tradition and actually does a codex FAQ on this. Otherwise it could be a very long, ugly road for my Bike Libby in 7th. 

Snake nice quick and dirty batrep. Regarding the stasis bomb, that is going to become a sticking point with necron players. We will probably need a ruling from GW on it. YOur opponent is wrong because RP is not a save its basically a FNP that only str D weapons remove. The question will become which comes first the stasis roll or the Reanimation roll. I don't know the exact wording on the stasis roll, but i guess it shouldn't matter. even if you come back via the RP roll you will still have to take an Init test and be lost. still not many will die since its only str 4 and its only one use.

I don't see the libby getting the ravenwing rule, more likely GW rules the the HQ must be on a bike or have ravenwing rule. we shall see though.

Archived