Lost our standards?

Darkn3ssF4lls

If you're meaning the three different sacred standards, Banners of Devastation, Fortitude, and Retribution(?), they've been taken out and replaced with a singular Sacred Standard that grants Counter-attack and Relentless to the unit in addition to a 12" bubble that lets Dark Angels re-rolled failed Morale checks, Pinning tests, and Fear tests.

Company Banner gives just the bubble, and Chapter Banner gives the bubble with +1 Atk for the Unit.

They still do exist, thus the decals are valid.

But now instead of choosing a Sacred Standard based on the rules you want, you get to choose based on the design you most enjoy, personally I use the DA Standard Bearer anyhow, so...

Would have, however, been nice to have had a non-RW/DW Banner included with their respective command squads to represent the Chapter/Sacred Standard.

Bingo, or if you're more a Plasma Gun type then you can still assault afterwards.

But yea, I'm pretty sure it was just a play by GW to make you look at it and go 'zomg 3-5 relentless Grav Guns! Now I have to go buy a bunch of boxes that have Grav Guns!"

But I got around that ploy, I looked to Kromlech and they delivered. d-(^_~)z

I'm more curious to wonder what good the 'reroll failed fear tests' portion of our bubble is if we auto pass fear tests anyways.

Enter the next codex  "causes fear tests even in units that auto-pass"

Seriously, the outgoing banner rules were a bit incompatible with the current codex...imagine a demi company with the dakkapole...FOUR shots on overwatch, at BS4.  That would just be broken...not that I didn't relish the thought!

I'm more curious to wonder what good the 'reroll failed fear tests' portion of our bubble is if we auto pass fear tests anyways.

maybe chaos marines or daemons will get the ability to ignore atsknf

That wouldn't make any sense fluff wise. Chaos marines and daemons are enemies that make dark angels fight even harder against them. That is why the Deathwing Rule gives hatred and the formation gives preferred enemy. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see something pop up like that. It would just be really really stupid

They could have kept the previous banners easily, convert devastation to relentless bubble (with a suitable point drop), fortitude remains about the same and retribution remains the same, but with a point drop. Instead, they *kind of* merged devastation and retribution into a single standard and eliminated fortitude.

ATSKNF 

They -do- know fear. They are just brave enough to be stupid enough not for them to be affected by it. Then you have the fearless raging guys who are just too stupid to know it. ;D

It's not the first time the sacred standard disappear, but this time we have a "generalist" sacred standard left in place, so, it's isn't so bad.

There is a reason why they are gone:

One of them was broken when paired with green resolve.

The other one made apothecaries redundant, because it was even better!

The last one was useless.

So, this time we got a "balanced" sacred standard, not to good, not too bad...

The new sacred standard is almost useless for anything but Greenwing. Both the other wings already have relentless and the deathwing is already fearless. So it just comes down to just counter attack for DW as well as being a normal banner for RW.

I'm pretty dissapointed for all the banners in the new codex. They are just normal banners with the test rerolls but you also get a minor buff. The sacred standard is *alright* with greenwing, but only if you take all grav.

Grav/plasma/heavies.  Imagine that.  With a sacred standard Azrael can actually double tap somebody with his plasma and then charge.  This standard is all about the Greenwing.   Command Squad with plasma/grav/heavies + Azrael + other HQs with combi-plasma/grav; all in a Drop Pod or Land Raider.  The 1st and 2nd Companies have their standards, and the Sacred Standard only gives either of them Counterattack for a premium price anyways.

And +1 Attack for the Deathwing Standard is a minor buff?  Those attacks are not being mde with chainswords, but with weapons that murder stuff.  And Ravenwing auto-Hit and Running with bonus movement is very useful, as it makes it easier to leap frog among enemy units, or to objectives.  If you manage to do that even once per game, the standard will likely pay for itself.

I just sort of feel they are a let down compared to out last edition codex, not meaning the sacred standards but banners in general. All the benefits bar the test rerolls are now confined to just the unit compared to the bubbles of what we used to have.

The Feel No Pain standard was really useful, but this time around we got a price cut on the units that benfited the most from it (bikers, termies). the dakka banner would be just utterly foul in a full Battle Company Lion's Blade, and so had to go.

I have no problem about the effects themselves being changed, I admit that the dakka banner would be broken in a Lion's Blade. It's the restrictions to only the bearer's unit that come as a surprise and a let down.

An army's banner is meant to inspire men and to be used to benefit the army as a whole which is how they have done the banners thus far. It's completely unfluffy to me to only have a banner effect the bearers unit bar the leadership rerolls. 

Archived