Command Squad Question (greenwing)

Politix

Brothers, I am in a bit of a bind. In a 5 man CS you can have an Apoth, Standard Bearer, 3 vets (not using comp chanmp)

I am thinking about putting 2 grav guns and a single plasma gun on the vets. Using the Chapter Banner (+1 atk correct?)

Tossing Azrael and a ML2 libby in the group. 

Question 1: Can the Banner Bearer carry a standard weapon? Such as a Combi-wep?

Question 2: Would this be a viable drop pod unit? I would be running 2 ten man tac squads heading toward objectives due to the CAD special rule.

Using 2x RWAS ready to tele homer in 3x DW teams. 2x DWTS and one DWAS all TH/SS. 

Heavy support would be in the form of a Las-Pred and 2 Vindis. 

Does this sound viable? What can I swap out to maximize troop placement? 

A standard bearer isn't a special model, he still counts as a veteran, so he can get special weapons too.

A already mentioned combi would be 4 grav guns, apoth and sacred standard for relentless. Add IC at your own desire ;).

Eze would be great from my point of view for psi support and +1 A.

A standard bearer isn't a special model, he still counts as a veteran, so he can get special weapons too.

A already mentioned combi would be 4 grav guns, apoth and sacred standard for relentless. Add IC at your own desire ;).

Eze would be great from my point of view for psi support and +1 A.

Ezekiel meshes incredibly well with company veterans, another good guy that goes well with them is the tech marine which sounds like a wired choice but he amplifies their shooting a lot thanks to the servo harnesses free plasma pistol and flamer, he can take an extra combi. He also has two power fists when he has his harness adding to their cc output and removing the need to take such an ugly weapon on say a squad sgt.

One squad with the tech marine I though of doing was against orks and nids, podding them in near some boys loaded with flamers and coupled with the flamer on his harness means you can output a lot of flame templates in a lump sum, good for cooking cheap bugs. This also would be oddly effective against a more blobby eldar army, or an infantry focused de force.

Really company veterans work best deployed with an ally who has an assault vehicle for them. If you can pair company veterans with an assault vehicle you have a cc unit that rivals the blood angel death company in raw damage output once you start adding in all our fancy odds and ends to boost their attacks or improve their cc.

Sounds like a mean unit!  I wonder why bother with the Plasma Gun though?

Note that the +1A vs the +1WS slightly benefits other HQs a little more than it does a regular ol' marine.

10 Attacks against a WS4/T4 model with WS5: 3.3 wounds

15 Attacks against a WS4/T4 model: 3.75

My idea for the super command squad :

Apothecary

Vet with Grav + Storm Shield

Vet with Grav + Storm Shield

Vet with Grav + Lightning Claw + Sacred Standard

Vet with Grav + Power Fist

Drop Pod

Ezekiel

It's a lot of points, but this squad is quite a death star. Out of the pod Ezekiel comes first, then two storm shield guys, behind them the CC guys and Apo. Ezekiel takes Divination for rerolls + a chance for ignores cover. You can probably kill a squad when you drop, and after that this unit is almost unassaultable with full bs overwatch (lions blade of course) and a lot of diffrent attacks in CC. You got to shoot them, and when you do, Ezekiel can tank a lot of small arms fire, and anything bigger get LoS on the shield guys.

I was also looking at this, hadn't considered adding tech marine.

Apothecary

3 x Vets with grav gun

1 x Vet with grav gun and sacred standard

Ezekiel (from conclave)

Librarian (From conclave, 24" mind worm)

Azrael (for invul save & warlord trait of choice)

Tech marine?

In a drop pod

That's a silly amount of points though

DM

I am sorry, but why all the grav gun love?

Sure, they are good against infantry, but there is a number of fully mechanized lists. Wouldn't a first turn deep striking drop pod be wasted often?

I was always under an impression that deepstriking melta is more flexible - there are not too many armies that do not contain MCs/vehicles/multi-wound good-save units.

With a Sacred Standard with Relentless, the gravs fire 3 shots each, and Relentless models count as having been stationary when firing.  After Drop Podding in, the following turn the unit can do that and are still allowed to assult even.  Mobile (and brutal) firepower + full assault capability, and all of it in the opponent's back field = bad things four your opponent.

Archived