Librarius Conclave Death Star?

FatherTurin

Hey everyone, I just got back into 40k after a long hiatus, and since the game has gone through 2 editions since I've been away, I'm trying to tool around with some different ideas.

Just wondering if people think this would work:

Dark Angels Librarius Conclave

Ezekiel

4 Librarians w/mastery level 2, conversion fields

Joining a command squad with apothecary, champion, chapter standard and power swords, drop pod in or mount up in a land raider variant turn 1.

I know this "Death Star" will have trouble with 2+, maybe put on some melta bombs for vehicles, but by my math this unit puts out 71 attacks on the charge, 31 of which are instant death (if I manifest force, which with 11 base warp charges shouldn't be difficult).

Plus they are all FnP, and have a wide variety of psychic powers for Ezekiel to choose from if there isn't a nice juicy target to turn into a fine red mist.

Aside from the pretty absurd point cost for 10 guys, is there any other reason this wouldn't work?

Edit: saw that manifesting on a 3+ is only for the shared psychic powers. My question still stands.

2+ isn't impossible, you just need Force Axe Librarians to survive long enough to score some hits on things.  The only thing about this setup is that your opponent will most likely pour every bit of firepower into it.  That's why I like the Landraider approach.

The 3+ psychic powers is still helpful.  With 2ML each you're able to roll in 4 trees worth of psychic powers.  The first and foremost one you want is Invisibility, as long as you get that you're good to go.

Here's the deathstar setup that I'm going to run. It hasn't been playtested yet, but it will be in the coming weeks.

Interrogator Chaplain w/ bike, mace of redemption

5 or 6 RWCS w/ 1 RWGL, apothecary and RW banner

Librarius Conclave w/ 2x ML2 Librarians on a bike, each with a conversion field and meltabombs. Ezekiel goes with some other guys on the field, ideally midfield via a drop pod so he can be close to the other conclave)

This deathstar, while a bit expensive (820-860), is a beatstick with a load S5 rending attacks, lots of psychic support. The librarians in the conclave only have to be within 12" of another librarian from the conclave to manifest on a 3+. With invis and/or shrouding you've got a durable star that also can beat a lot of units on the table.

The advantage of bikes over infantry is that land raiders have a habit of either being destroyed too soon, or immobilizing at inappropriate times. The bikes are plenty durable on their own with the RW rule, and the librarians and chaplain have a 4++.

Add in Azrael for 4++ invulnerable to everybody, he still does that right?

Was actually tooling with the same idea. Played Dark Angel Librarius conclave recently, was amazing :D except I got Infinity Gate, tried to teleport and lost my librarian to DS mishap :(

Oh stop with this Azrael madness already. He really is not a good character anymore. Take conversion fields and roll with two of your librarians on sanctic demonology. With four rolls you got good chances for sanctuary and/or hammer hand.

It will be much better and cheaper then taking Azrael

Question about using the conclave with a RWCS. If the command squad was part of a ravenwing strike force and the librarians joined the unit, would the librarians get the benefit of Speed of the Raven even though they aren't from the detachment?

I like the Iron hands Librarius over our own since all the characters get to greatly increase the survivability of the unit, and just take 1 RW Librarian w/ Shroud of Heroes to get our new powers. Key things you are looking for:

Forewarning (and Sanctuary)

Endurance

Hammerhand

Shrouded (and Fire Shield)

Casting warp charge 1 powers on a 2+ is really nice and prevents risk of perils for Sanctic stuff.

Add to Samamel and the RWCS for some hilarious fun.

Bonus is none of the powers is necessary, they just make the unit that much harder to deal with. You've got a huge utility box of awesome.

Question about using the conclave with a RWCS. If the command squad was part of a ravenwing strike force and the librarians joined the unit, would the librarians get the benefit of Speed of the Raven even though they aren't from the detachment?

Also, no. They would just turbo boost

The strength of mind worm isn't in it's uses against ICs, but more against MCs, or multi-wound models like centurions. Additionally, it's a focused witchfire that wounds most things on a 2+, and ignores cover. It's a great way to remove annoying special weapons or banner bearers from a unit.

I understand that the SM conclave is mostly superior to "ours", but mind worm at 24" strikes me as well worth it.

It has a couple of advantages over our codex and a load of disadvantages

The NEW Psychic discipline meshes with our other units and apart from Biomancy which is the only 1 we can't take you can get a good spread of powers.

Zek takes 3 from our table the other 2 choose Divination + 1 other

Mind worm at 24" is the equivalent of a Nuclear Bomb to MC's most of whom are T5/6 being focused and ignores cover lets you snipe Banners Apothecaries & Special Weapons as well, your only on 1 warp charge and if Zek casts it a 2 to hit then on a Riptide 4 to wound.

There is real Synergy between the Shroud and the 3D6 fear check and how about Mind Wipe on a Squad of Say Necron Wraiths then they have to pass a leadership on 3D6

Mind Wipe is also a Malediction and ignores the effect of Invisibility

Anyways testing it out at the moment in a game the Ravenwing are all but untouchable due to double jink, the fact that Zek is on foot means he can still fire at full BS & with Sam 6 a Knight CS + 2 Librarians on a Bike + a Chaplain coz I'm running a CAD as well.

My opponent has a Rock hard Squad in terminator armor but I'm on the other side of the board effectively chewing through his back line while they lumber across.

I also expect our Librarian Bikers to get the Ravenwing Special rule at some point otherwise were stuck with fielding just Sammael in the Ravenwing Strike Force

I understand that the SM conclave is mostly superior to "ours", but mind worm at 24" strikes me as well worth it.

It has a couple of advantages over our codex and a load of disadvantages

The NEW Psychic discipline meshes with our other units and apart from Biomancy which is the only 1 we can't take you can get a good spread of powers.

Zek takes 3 from our table the other 2 choose Divination + 1 other

Mind worm at 24" is the equivalent of a Nuclear Bomb to MC's most of whom are T5/6 being focused and ignores cover lets you snipe Banners Apothecaries & Special Weapons as well, your only on 1 warp charge and if Zek casts it a 2 to hit then on a Riptide 4 to wound.

There is real Synergy between the Shroud and the 3D6 fear check and how about Mind Wipe on a Squad of Say Necron Wraiths then they have to pass a leadership on 3D6

Mind Wipe is also a Malediction and ignores the effect of Invisibility

Anyways testing it out at the moment in a game the Ravenwing are all but untouchable due to double jink, the fact that Zek is on foot means he can still fire at full BS & with Sam 6 a Knight CS + 2 Librarians on a Bike + a Chaplain coz I'm running a CAD as well.

My opponent has a Rock hard Squad in terminator armor but I'm on the other side of the board effectively chewing through his back line while they lumber across.

I also expect our Librarian Bikers to get the Ravenwing Special rule at some point otherwise were stuck with fielding just Sammael in the Ravenwing Strike Force

Seed of Fear and the RWSS squad also have some nice synergy. With the RWSS having Strafing Run which grants pinning you can pin some units pretty easily.

The major disadvantage of our Librarius Conclave is the fact that we have to take Zeke, so at least part of your formation is stuck on foot, or needs a transport. It doesn't mesh well with pure Ravenwing unfortunately.

Agreed. If Zeke was optional for our conclave it would be just as good as the SM conclave. Rerolling jink and improved overwatch is about on par with improved FNP and IWND, just different things they are stronger against.

Strafing run doesn't have punning anymore and seed of fear works only on morale, pinning and fear test.

There is not much synergy there.

I tried the new spells in 3 games, and I find then lacking real power. I`ll probably stick with telepathy and divination.

How are they making the leadership check on 3d6? Are you taking about Seed of Fear? That's only morale, pinning, and fear checks and wraiths are fearless so that doesn't effect them. Mind Wipe looks most effective against things with ld8 or lower, where there is a decent chance of failure.

I'm really hoping for this soon too, I've got a pretty good Lion's Blade + RWSF list that looks like a lot of fun.

Archived