Just got the codex - walk down mmory lane

I received the new codex by post yesterday and had a chance to fly through it briefly. I couldn't help but walk down memory lane all the way back to when I first got in to 40K .... and the release of the Third Edition...

I remember the wailing that came about with that release of the mini codex and the subsequent updated release and then the later editions.

One of the issues I remember was the removal of the RW Attack Bike Squadron from our codex.... You could no longer deploy a squadron of 2 or 3 attack bikes. They only came with the Attack Squadrons in single numbers. I was actually amazed to see that the RW Attack Bike squadron option has returned to the DA.... and no one appears to be dancing with joy... tongue.png Having not played a game since 4th edition I really can't comment on their viability.

Another gripe of recent times also seems to have gone.... DA Devastators armed with Grav Weapons....

And most of all very few wails of horror appear to be emanating from the depths of the Rock! Happy times may be? :)

SG

Unless you liked that feature, like I did.

Oh well, I am still trying to figure out how to get all the models I can get all my models on the board.

they still have combat squad.

Ah, but combat squad makes the regular bikes far more fragile now.

Like ValourousHeart I liked the ability to flank off the attack bike when needed, while retaining a 6 man bike squad to protect the sgt and/or special weapons. I think a 3 man bike unit is just too fragile - safety in numbers.

It is still do-able (with various unbound shenanigens etc) but it was a nice touch.

I'm looking forward to cracking out some old school metal landspeeders and having squadrons of 5 with assault cannon and heavy bolter for nostalgia reasons!

Also it was a nice touch that our bike squads were 10 man teams with the speeder included for one slot.

Like all other marine squads, it was 10... But not any more.

Ravenwing Attack Squad, take a bike squad with attack bike then slap a Vengeance in there. *boom* ELEVEN man squad.

d-(^_~)z

I received the new codex by post yesterday and had a chance to fly through it briefly. I couldn't help but walk down memory lane all the way back to when I first got in to 40K .... and the release of the Third Edition...

I remember the wailing that came about with that release of the mini codex and the subsequent updated release and then the later editions.

One of the issues I remember was the removal of the RW Attack Bike Squadron from our codex.... You could no longer deploy a squadron of 2 or 3 attack bikes. They only came with the Attack Squadrons in single numbers. I was actually amazed to see that the RW Attack Bike squadron option has returned to the DA.... and no one appears to be dancing with joy... tongue.png Having not played a game since 4th edition I really can't comment on their viability.

Another gripe of recent times also seems to have gone.... DA Devastators armed with Grav Weapons....

And most of all very few wails of horror appear to be emanating from the depths of the Rock! Happy times may be? smile.png

SG

I am. I have 6x attack bikes so I can run them in squadrons or as support upgrades, and so far am actually more inclined to use them as squadrons. I think, though, that there is so much good stuff in this codex that it's hard to be happy over any single thing for too long. It's easier to be happy about everything.

But you can't do 2 of those with Sammie at 1000 points, unless you go unbound or give up that formation bonus.

I could fit those models in to the strike force and even have them be 7-9 units like they were before.

But instead of it taking 3 forces slots, it would take 7... which is half of the strike force slots!

Maybe I am just holding on too tight to the past, but I loved having a bunch of 1 model units running around the table.

Nothing was the obvious threat, but the aggregate of their power was amazing, so it made target priority a real pain for my opponents.

And while we can still run a bunch of solo units, we run out of slots very quickly, or have to start taking non ravenwing stuff.

I am already in a pinch trying too get my Venerable Ravenwing Dreads in my list without taking non Ravenwing units.

To bad my Chaplain on a Bike can't take a Drop Pod as a dedicated transport.

But why not take two strike forces? Then you have 24 Fast Attack choices to fill. If you are Outflanking your attack bikes here's where you want your fliers as well (as all of such a detachment must be in reserve or on the table). A Libby to lead for cheap or sneak Sammy close to the enemy. Or am I missing something essential (on detachments or in this discussion)?

But you can't do 2 of those with Sammie at 1000 points, unless you go unbound or give up that formation bonus.

I could fit those models in to the strike force and even have them be 7-9 units like they were before.

But instead of it taking 3 forces slots, it would take 7... which is half of the strike force slots!

Maybe I am just holding on too tight to the past, but I loved having a bunch of 1 model units running around the table.

Nothing was the obvious threat, but the aggregate of their power was amazing, so it made target priority a real pain for my opponents.

And while we can still run a bunch of solo units, we run out of slots very quickly, or have to start taking non ravenwing stuff.

I am already in a pinch trying too get my Venerable Ravenwing Dreads in my list without taking non Ravenwing units.

What about taking the Attack Squad as the formation minus the Attack Bike? Then take single Attack bikes that take up the FA slots in the strike force? 6 man bike squads plus separate attack bikes and only taking up a single slot per attack bike.

Not sure what you're trying to say. But if you take a lion's blade, auxiliary units are 1+, which means you can have a unit of 1 attack bike and a separate unit of 1 landspeeder as many times as you have points. The landspeeder still has the Attack Squadron rule, so if you leave the stock heavy bolter you can dual purpose it to increase the attack bikes's bs (it just has to hit, nothing more) or use it for anti-infantry when desired. It's not that many points to throw in 6 of them and have 12 units buzzing around the table to annoy your enemy while the rest of the lion's blade is hammering away.

Not sure what you're trying to say. But if you take a lion's blade, auxiliary units are 1+, which means you can have a unit of 1 attack bike and a separate unit of 1 landspeeder as many times as you have points. The landspeeder still has the Attack Squadron rule, so if you leave the stock heavy bolter you can dual purpose it to increase the attack bikes's bs (it just has to hit, nothing more) or use it for anti-infantry when desired. It's not that many points to throw in 6 of them and have 12 units buzzing around the table to annoy your enemy while the rest of the lion's blade is hammering away.

Don't even have to take the Lions Blade to do it. You can do it with any of the strick forces or a CAD.

Don't even have to take the Lions Blade to do it. You can do it with any of the strick forces or a CAD.

Well aware. I just like the BS4 overwatch ^^

I just wish the ravenwing CAD got Objective Secured and could take more than 1HQ.

I don't think single land speeders amd attack bikes are available as auxiliary choices in a Lion's Blade. You need fast attack slots which you can get in the CAD and Ravenwing Strike Force.

Sorry for the block quote, I'm on my phone.

I don't think single land speeders amd attack bikes are available as auxiliary choices in a Lion's Blade. You need fast attack slots which you can get in the CAD and Ravenwing Strike Force.

Sorry for the block quote, I'm on my phone.

Ravenwing Attack Squadron gives you a landspeeder and you take an attack bike squad with a single attack bike.

Ah, that would work. I misunderstood and thought you were suggesting taking attack bike squads and land speeder squads of one model each rather than the minimal attack squad formation.

Archived