Eviscerator

Crazy Jay

IMHo, eviscerators are a "don't".

Why?

• Points cost.
  • In a Sgt gets more attacks but he can get singled out. In a regular marine it's only one attack.
  • Eviscerators are good for tankbusting, but do you want your marines to assault a tank and then be hanging out waiting for the enemy to shoot them?

That's why I'm not thrilled about eviscerators.

IMHo, eviscerators are a "don't".

Why?

• Points cost.
  • In a Sgt gets more attacks but he can get singled out. In a regular marine it's only one attack.
  • Eviscerators are good for tankbusting, but do you want your marines to assault a tank and then be hanging out waiting for the enemy to shoot them?

That's why I'm not thrilled about eviscerators.

Yes, they are prohibitively expensive. Don't forget that it's a 2 handed weapon as well, plus you also need to trade your chainsword AND bolt pistol to get it. So if you want more attacks you must buy the Vet Upgrade for your Sgt.

For all intents and purposes its a chainfist, for slightly cheaper than it would normally cost you to get one. 

My unit will have one however... because it looks awesome. 

It's only 1 attack, but it's 1 hidden attack that turns an Assault Squad into a credible threat to many more units than they would otherwise be. Tanks aren't really the point.

Plenty of squads will take a few phases to get through 10 Marines, and not many characters will be happy having multiple S8/AP2 hits allocated to them while they do it.

Two is probably too expensive, but one Eviscerator makes the squad much more interesting.

Sorry, but one attack is not a credible threat, even hidden. The guy has WS4, odds are he will miss 50% of the time. Hidden in 5 guys is like one round of combat until there's only a couple of marines left...

Don't forget that with two eviscerators in the squad, on the charge you have 4 attacks. Including a vet sgt with power fist or thunder hammer means you have 7 str 8, AP 2 attacks at initiative 1. That's some hitting power that an assault squad was never capable of in the past, and enough to give most units they would assault some pause. There are other units that perhaps do it with more efficient use of points, but that's all relative. For example, if you're using the Lion's Blade, you HAVE to take an assault squad. Now you have a few more ways you can use one.

With my double demi company list and the fact that you would have to take 2 squads of Assault Marines, one squad is gonna be the traditional double flamer/ combi flamer/ drop pod but I've always wanted an Assault squad unit as a counter attack unit that would get into the thick of it and cause damage when it needs to.

The Assault squad would be a full 10 man unit, 2 flamers, 2 eviscerators, vet sarg with power sword all with jump packs joined by the chaplain and tooled up company master wih jump packs. I know a unit of vets have better options and killing power but at least this way I have somewhere to put my 2 hqs that are required plus im also making use of the mandatory assault squad.

Not very points efficient but love the look of it and always wanted to do it. With the Chaplains Zealot I think their killing power in CC would be pretty decent so long as they get the charge off.  

Archived