Combat Squads and Transports

Berzul

Reading through the book, I noticed this rule. I don't remember it being in the old codex. 

The book says combat squads are different units for all purposes, EXCEPT transports. Two combat squads that split from the same unit can board the same transport.

Does that mean that they can START the game in the same transport? Or can they be deployed outside the transport and then board it together throughout the course of the game?

Could one combat squad start the game inside a Rhino with the other combat squad being deployed on foot? Could that combat squad then embark on the transport at a later turn?

And, on that subject, I have a question on how this affects embarking and disembarking moves.

I may be wrong on this. I don't have my rulebook at hand, but as I understand it, the rules state that a unit can act out one embark/disembark move per turn. A unit cannot embark a transport and disembark it in the same turn. ... If so, the embarking and the disembarking would be tied to the unit using the transport, not the transport itself. 

So, could a Rhino, for instance, have one combat squad aboard, move to one spot, embark the other combat squad, then move some more and disembark the first combat squad that was already aboard at the beginning of the turn?

... Or am I remembering the rules wrong? Was this something that existed in the previous Codex, and I just never realized it?

Reading through the book, I noticed this rule. I don't remember it being in the old codex. 

The book says combat squads are different units for all purposes, EXCEPT transports. Two combat squads that split from the same unit can board the same transport.

Does that mean that they can START the game in the same transport? Or can they be deployed outside the transport and then board it together throughout the course of the game?

Going from the last time around and the 7th edition main book.  They can START in the same transport, after they disembark they cannot get back in together IIRC

Could one combat squad start the game inside a Rhino with the other combat squad being deployed on foot? Could that combat squad then embark on the transport at a later turn?

Yes. One in and one out is allowed, but again they cannot both be in the transport unless they both start the game in the can.  After one or both disembark the "One Unit" rule kicks in...   I think.

So, could a Rhino, for instance, have one combat squad aboard, move to one spot, embark the other combat squad, then move some more and disembark the first combat squad that was already aboard at the beginning of the turn?

No, see above.

Now lets see if I am interpreting right...

What has predominance? The rules on the main book, or the special rules for a specific faction inside its codex?

I'm honestly asking here. It's not rethorical, don't get me wrong. I do not know how this is resolved within the game.

Usually, in real life law (at least in roman-based continental systems, I'm not sure how it works in places like the states or great britain), when a special rule is put into effect that contradicts the general rule that came before it, the special rule creates an exception that applies before the general rule.

In this case, the main rulebook would state that, once they disembark, the cannot embark the same transport again. But the codex itself states something that could very well be interpreted differently, as it simpley states that, as an exception to the rule that states that both squads are different units to all effects, they can embark the same transport.

Doesn't say when. Just says that they can embark it. 

Could this be interpreted as the Dark Angels Combat Squads being able to do just that? Having two squads embarking the same transport at any point during a game?

The rule states two Combat Squads split from the same unit can embark the same transport. It puts no limit on that exception, so you can do it at any point in the game.

Was this something that existed in the previous Codex, and I just never realized it?

The Combat Squads rule has worked like this since at least the 5th edition Astartes codexes.

What has predominance? The rules on the main book, or the special rules for a specific faction inside its codex?

Codex trumps main rulebook. Read the section "Basic vs Advanced" in General Principles.

Archived